Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotor 1x13 Groupset
Quote | Reply
Questions:
1. Anyone know when these will be available?
2. Thoughts on triathlon-specific implementation
3. Thoughts on road-specific build-out?

See description and details here: https://rotorbike.com/1x13-the-only-one/
Rotor is calling it "The Only One".

TL;DR: 1x13 hydraulic actuated. Large cassette range promising equal or greater versatility to 2x11 systems. Chainring sizes from 38-54.

CG
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look of it, but I like the look of most things Rotor. It is an interesting step for them to make a rear der, rather than just cranks/ chainrings. I'm curious which shifters they recommend using with it.

I also wonder what a 10T rear chainring feels like to ride, as the change in chain angle between teeth must be pretty severe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be surprised if this gains traction in the USA. Their hydraulic 2x11s haven't. I have a set of 10sp wheels that can't be converted to 11sp and was looking for input on their 11sp cassettes recently because they're compatible with 10sp hubs. Got no replies from mechanics or folks with personal experience now.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Feb 18, 19 0:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the freehub "standard" will be problem. It's like Shimano HG, but a little longer, apparently. I haven't seen any hub manufacturers take it up, like they're taking up SRAM XDR freehubs. So 1x13 early adopters may have to get wheels built up with Rotor hubs. And I don't know what could be done for a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
...I have a set of 10sp wheels that cat (can't?) be converted to 11sp...
FYI Shimano 11-speed 11-34 cassette (with a GS derailleur) will fit a 10-speed hub...

I applaud them for doing something different (aka patent avoiding) but unless the prices was better, then there's not much it does that Di2 doesn't do better.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, nearly all 9 and 10 speed wheels can be set up to run with 11 speed drivetrains. And you have several options, from fairly inexpensive all the way to free. More details are here:
https://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
13 speed perhaps? It will take Shimano and SRAM very long to get to 13. Not because they can't, but rather because they need to milk their 12 speed investments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have limited experience with internally routing hydraulic cables but it won't be trivial to run the cable to the RD on many road frames. From the photos of the test bikes I have seen online it looks like the cable ports have been modified and in some cases drilled out. The cabling for the FD on the hydraulic 2x system will certainly require extensive fiddling on most frames.

The counter argument is that the cables are a one and done so even if it is a total PIA to install it pays off in the long run. However I am going to assume it comes with a premium price tag and its hard to splash out a lot of cash to then have to drill a frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I think the freehub "standard" will be problem. It's like Shimano HG, but a little longer, apparently. I haven't seen any hub manufacturers take it up, like they're taking up SRAM XDR freehubs. So 1x13 early adopters may have to get wheels built up with Rotor hubs. And I don't know what could be done for a disc wheel.

Uniquely, the indexing is in the RD instead of the shifter. And there's a toggle on the RD that lets you switch between 12 and 13 speed. Rotor will have 12 speed cassettes that fit a standard HG hub. Maybe you have a deep spoked wheel with the 13 speed hub and cassette, a disc with HG hub and the 12 speed cassette, and you let the terrain and weather dictate which you choose.

Of course, there would have to be a hydraulic bar end shifter, which doesn't appear to exist, yet for either Rotor's 2x11 or 1x13.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 18, 19 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know a few people that bought the current Rotor groupo for their gravel bikes. None of them liked it, and i don't think any of them kept it for longer than 1 year.

Launching 1x13 seems a little bit like creating a "6 minute abs" video when everyone else is doing 8-minute abs. Sure it sounds better, but I'd prefer to use something from SRAM or Shimano that has more polish and real-world testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting, thanks. After reading up a bit, it seems that putting indexing in the derailleurs is related to a common complaint about UNO - that there's very little tactile feedback at the hand, making it friction-shifter-like in feel. Maybe they fixed that somehow in 1x13, but the UNO testimonials aren't very kind.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 1x13 Groupset [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I have limited experience with internally routing hydraulic cables but it won't be trivial to run the cable to the RD on many road frames. From the photos of the test bikes I have seen online it looks like the cable ports have been modified and in some cases drilled out. The cabling for the FD on the hydraulic 2x system will certainly require extensive fiddling on most frames.

The counter argument is that the cables are a one and done so even if it is a total PIA to install it pays off in the long run. However I am going to assume it comes with a premium price tag and its hard to splash out a lot of cash to then have to drill a frame.

I chatted with Rotor about this a bit when they released it. The hydraulic tubing is the same OD or smaller than electronic shift wires. Shouldn't require any modification on a Di2 ready frame.

I didn't know about the 12sp/13sp toggle. 12 speed on HG cassette is great imo. I'd like to stick with my HG hubs for 1x.

They also did not seem to have plans for bar-end shifters, so maybe the point is moot anyway.
Quote Reply