Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roth accommodations options
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m headed to Roth in July and itā€™s my first time racing overseas. Iā€™ve been trying to decide where to stay and wanted to see what people think about a couple different options. Iā€™m already leaning heavily toward Nuremberg but could be convinced otherwise. Itā€™ll be me, my teenage daughter, and my mom. Iā€˜ve been considering:

[1] Airbnb. Lots of options in Nuremberg, prices are reasonable, more space than a hotel, kitchen to cook in if we want.

[2] Hotel. Also several options, possibly less expensive than an Airbnb, some include breakfast and have a pool.

[3] Travel company. Include housing as well as perks like airport transfers, drop off and pick up of gear on race day, theyā€™ll shuttle my daughter and mom to spectating spots.

The ā€œall in one packageā€ travel company is tempting since theyā€™ll likely make race day easier for my daughter and mom and I wouldnā€™t have to rent a car, but theyā€™re pricey. For example Race Quest has 7-day packages for ~$3,500 per person while Tri Travel has similar 7-day packages for ~$1,900 per person (crazy variability there!). I can book an Airbnb for 7 nights at much lower cost but would need to rent a car and worry about how my mom and daughter get around when Iā€™m racing.

Are the ā€œall in oneā€ packages worth the extra cost?

Is getting in, around, and out of Roth on race day challenging for racers and/or spectators?

My mom is in her 70s and mobile but not going to be running around from place to place on race day.

Any thoughts are very welcome!

Quote Reply
Re: Roth accommodations options [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Sheraton in Nuremberg last year. Worked great. American-level hotel rooms. Two blocks from train station for travel to and from venue. I did take a taxi on race morning to T1. Split that fare with three guys I met on way to bike check-in day before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of threads on this already. Use the search.

It's extremely easy to get around Nurember and Roth.

I prefer DIY car rental with hotel or airbnb.

Pro tip: it's a bit more hassle, but taking the train from the airport into Nuremberg to pick up a car can save anywhere from 75-150 Euros. Airport surcharges are brutal.
Munich airport is very far from Munich, so wouldn't recommend it if you fly there.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth accommodations options [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I thought about tacking on to this thread, and maybe I should have.

Is it easy for spectators to get around Roth during the race? That's probably my biggest logistical fear, that it'll be tough for my mom and daughter to get to/from the swim and then to/from good spectator spots on the bike and run. It's why I started considering some of the travel companies but wow they seem like a real upcharge! I'm definitely curious to hear from anyone who's gone with one of the all-in-one travel company packages.
Quote Reply
Re: Roth accommodations options [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I stayed at the Sheraton in Nuremberg last year. Worked great. American-level hotel rooms.

What does that even mean? Hotels in Germany are good, include a lot of the same chains, and cover the same range (from crap cheap motel to luxury penthouses).

Or do you mean Sheraton was worse than your typical European hotel for the price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Northy. I did Roth a few years ago with Tri Travel. They made it super easy as they transfer you to registration, pasta party, bike drop and race day and do lots of other things for you. They even picked up your bike and transition bags and transported them to your hotel. This is handy as you have to collect your bike from T 2 on race night and itā€™s a good walk to get there. If you were on your own you would be able to do this all yourself (no where as easy though) but unless your mum is keen on driving (and finding parking) itā€™s really hard for spectators to get around. Swim , T2 and finish are all a reasonable distance apart. Then add a walk to Solar Burg. Makes for a difficult day. Tri travel take spectators to the start, get them to Solar and then bus them to the finish where they can set up in town. The only other easy option if you want to save cash would be, get yourself to the start and then mum and daughter catch a later train to Roth and just see you on the run. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Quote Reply