Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rolling resistance - I'm confused now
Quote | Reply
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...p;min=6&minpr=24

I thought lower pressure was better? Why do tires on this site consistently, maybe universally, test better at 120psi vs 100? methodology?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought it was because of the drum they use. That is, they use a completely smooth drum so the higher pressure results in a smaller contact patch -> less friction.

In the real world, the roads aren't close to that smooth, so the lower pressure helps you stay "on the road" so to speak and moves the mighty watts you're throwing down through the wheels more effectively.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they aren't using a smooth drum. It's a diamond plate surface.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

that's very helpful, thank you!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One important takeaway on the bigger tire trend from most of these sites is that the CRR gain lies in still running the larger tire pumped up to a level that is less comfortable.

So to me I take it as I can run lower pressure in a bigger tire at the same CRR as higher pressure in a smaller tire. You just don't run the same pressure in a 23 as a 25 as a 28.

But so many people take this stuff as some weird gospel by thinking they can suddenly run 28's and gain a bunch of watts back in CRR. You gain nothing if you run them at the lower more comfy pressure. You gain something running them at a relatively comparable higher and less comfy pressure.

I think the trend IMHO better reflects the actual body weights of most club and amateur competitive bike riders. The old super skinny tire thing......yeah bunch of 140lb tour riders or professionals. Even way back then touring bikes and commuters had larger tires for the average joe. I think some data and reality hit that average joe competitors don't weigh 140 lb usually. Probably more like 160 to 200 lb.

At those realistic weights, 20mm, 23mm, and maybe even 25mm might not make sense from a comfort and bouncy point of view.

You just see stuff like over on Bikeforums and their weird obsession with Rene Hearse tires and 30+ mm road tires taken as gospel when the reality is somewhere in between.

You even see for the same tire size on BRR that the CRR goes up when you let the air out. If you run a 23 up front at 100psi so you don't pinch flat and run a 25 in back at 90 then you're probably at the same CRR give or take a gnat's ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might spend some more time looking at the linked Silca blog. Rolling resistance tests need to be taken with a grain of salt in terms of the pressures used. The "lower comfy pressures" may in fact actually be faster if they are riding on the rough pavement found in a lot of places. Yes, if you are lucky to ride in a locality where the pavement is all really smooth then you'll probably be faster not dropping the pressure as much. And it also depends on your priorities. Generally running a little too low pressure results in a lower penalty than too high of a pressure and certainly gives you a nicer ride as long as you don't take it too far and get tire squirm or pinch flats.

For me, it all depends on the use case. For tris and TTs on my tri bike with my older Zipp Firecrest race wheels and 23/25mm tires with tubes, I'm running 90-100 psi. For general training & riding on my road bike, I'm now running 32mm wide tires at 55 psi. The aero penalty is minimal with the wider aero rims I'm using, the ride is just so much nicer, I don't worry nearly as much about potholes or pinch flats, it makes training more enjoyable. Different horses for different courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's good roads but pinch flat concerns. You're going along forever on pretty good tarmac, then you miss the one big pothole with a 1" lip on it at 25mph and you're toast. So a higher pressure makes sense.

For an all out race, I totally get what you mentioned there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shows what I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
For me it's good roads but pinch flat concerns. You're going along forever on pretty good tarmac, then you miss the one big pothole with a 1" lip on it at 25mph and you're toast. So a higher pressure makes sense.

For an all out race, I totally get what you mentioned there.

Definitely depends on if you're running tubeless, or not. With tubes you're constrained by minimizing the risk of pinch flats so that's a very practical consideration. And even with tubeless you don't want a lot tire squirm or risk of burping from running excessively low pressures.

But of course a big advantage of wider tires for training (racing is a different issue due to aerodynamics) is greatly reduced risk of pinch flats even with tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect if he reads this thread then Tom A. can answer your question definitively. I believe it was he who came up with the impedance break point initially and has done a lot of testing around this idea. Josh at Silca also noted Tom as a pioneer in this area and they have further validated the info. The take away I got (maybe incorrectly) was it is usually better to err on the slightly low side of the optimal pressure than the high side because of the slope after the break point being so steep vs the slope before the break point.
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
I suspect if he reads this thread then Tom A. can answer your question definitively. I believe it was he who came up with the impedance break point initially and has done a lot of testing around this idea. Josh at Silca also noted Tom as a pioneer in this area and they have further validated the info. The take away I got (maybe incorrectly) was it is usually better to err on the slightly low side of the optimal pressure than the high side because of the slope after the break point being so steep vs the slope before the break point.

that was my understanding too, but then I started looking at BRR cuz I need new tires, and saw the chart, then I was all like WTF??

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
s5100e wrote:

that was my understanding too, but then I started looking at BRR cuz I need new tires, and saw the chart, then I was all like WTF??

There are other segments of that blog from Silca that you may also want to look at. Depending on your wheel, the actual MEASURED width of the rim and tire are important especially for racing. People are going to 25s when their older rims have 17mm internal width and the tires end up pumped and wider than the rim, which hurts aero. Josh goes into detail about the 105% rule, which further shows the issues in tire choice. One need to balance tire width, rim width and pressures when finding the best case for what they have. I'd suggest reading every one of his blogs in that series and also his "Marginal Gains" podcast is really interesting and informative.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
s5100e wrote:

There are other segments of that blog from Silca that you may also want to look at. Depending on your wheel, the actual MEASURED width of the rim and tire are important especially for racing. People are going to 25s when their older rims have 17mm internal width and the tires end up pumped and wider than the rim, which hurts aero. Josh goes into detail about the 105% rule, which further shows the issues in tire choice. One need to balance tire width, rim width and pressures when finding the best case for what they have. I'd suggest reading every one of his blogs in that series and also his "Marginal Gains" podcast is really interesting and informative.

True, but I'm not doing much with TT's or triathlons at the moment. Mostly going to be doing road races and crits, so tire width is more important to me than aero for cornering stability and grip.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cujo wrote:
I always thought it was because of the drum they use. That is, they use a completely smooth drum so the higher pressure results in a smaller contact patch -> less friction.

In the real world, the roads aren't close to that smooth, so the lower pressure helps you stay "on the road" so to speak and moves the mighty watts you're throwing down through the wheels more effectively.

It's not about the smoothness, or roughness, of the drum per se....it's because there's a part of the bike+rider "system" that's missing from the test setups, namely the vibration losses in the touch points of the rider to the bicycle. Without that, the measured Crr on the drum will decrease with increasing pressure. A rougher surface just adds an offset from the smooth drum data, since the losses being captured in the test are all related to tire casing flex losses (hysteresis).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 18, 21 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
s5100e wrote:

See my reply to Cujo. Roller testing doesn't capture the additional losses in the rider touchpoints. That's what increases greatly beyond the "breakpoint pressure" for a particular setup.

That said, roller tests are VERY useful, in that it gives us, at a minimum, a relative measure of the inherent casing losses (hysteresis) in the tires. It then becomes a case of finding the appropriate pressures for the application (i.e. avoiding the "breakpoint") and yes, " 'Tis far better to err on the side of too low of pressure, than too high" ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
cujo wrote:

It's not about the smoothness, or roughness, of the drum per se....it's because there's a part of the bike+rider "system" that's missing from the test setups, namely the vibration losses in the touch points of the rider to the bicycle. Without that, the measured Crr on the drum will decrease with increasing pressure. A rougher surface just adds an offset from the smooth drum data, since the losses being captured in the test all related to tire casing flex losses (hysteresis).

Is that purely a function of body weight, or is there some rider technique or equipment that can influence the amount of energy lost to touch points?

eg, if someone rides with locked arms and a lot of weight on the saddle, vs another rider who unweights the saddle and grips the bars lightly. or more suspension under the elbows of a TT bike? would that make any difference, or not really?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
cujo wrote:

It's not about the smoothness, or roughness, of the drum per se....it's because there's a part of the bike+rider "system" that's missing from the test setups, namely the vibration losses in the touch points of the rider to the bicycle. Without that, the measured Crr on the drum will decrease with increasing pressure. A rougher surface just adds an offset from the smooth drum data, since the losses being captured in the test all related to tire casing flex losses (hysteresis).

Is that purely a function of body weight, or is there some rider technique or equipment that can influence the amount of energy lost to touch points?

eg, if someone rides with locked arms and a lot of weight on the saddle, vs another rider who unweights the saddle and grips the bars lightly. or more suspension under the elbows of a TT bike? would that make any difference, or not really?

Rider mass is a part of that, but the biggest factor will be just the inherent damping of body tissue. I don't think there's really much you can do about that...and if you think about it, the BEST thing to do would be to make sure most of that energy input caused by road surface roughness doesn't make it into the bike and rider in the first place. Pneumatic tires can be VERY efficient at returning most of the energy back into the road surface, so the best overall approach is going to be selecting the appropriate tire and pressure, rather than in trying to "suspend the rider".

That above all applies to road bikes...once the terrain starts getting significantly rougher (such as MTB tracks) then bike suspension starts becoming a more attractive proposition, but that's more a function of traction and control.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said Tom would know. I believe that maybe when you were on the pod cast with Josh (maybe not) but I recall Josh talking about the issue of the human interface and its impact on the over all rolling resistance and how surprised they were to find that their bar tape actually had a measurable impact due to the damping effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Rider mass is a part of that, but the biggest factor will be just the inherent damping of body tissue. I don't think there's really much you can do about that...and if you think about it, the BEST thing to do would be to make sure most of that energy input caused by road surface roughness doesn't make it into the bike and rider in the first place. Pneumatic tires can be VERY efficient at returning most of the energy back into the road surface, so the best overall approach is going to be selecting the appropriate tire and pressure, rather than in trying to "suspend the rider".

That above all applies to road bikes...once the terrain starts getting significantly rougher (such as MTB tracks) then bike suspension starts becoming a more attractive proposition, but that's more a function of traction and control.

But can you attribute these energy losses to a higher Crr of a certain tire?

On my rolling resistance drum test rig, I too can notice “vibrations”. Especially at resonance “vibration losses” can become big, resulting in high calculated Crr values (is the use of a damper appropriate? Just like the human body damper in real cycling?). But this effect is very dependent not only on the tire but the tire pressure, speed, load, the wheel or tire trueness / roundness … . Most wheel / tire combinations show such behavior in some parameter regions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews?maxweight=401&max=24&min=6&minpr=24

I thought lower pressure was better? Why do tires on this site consistently, maybe universally, test better at 120psi vs 100? methodology?

There are multiple contributions to a tire's rolling performance.

One is energy that is spent deforming the tire.
When a part of the tire enters the contact patch, it gets deformed against the ground: this deformation consumes energy from your forward movement. When this part of the tire leaves the contact patch, it springs back to round, and in doing so it returns some energy to your forward movement. However, materials have internal friction, or "hysteresis": when you deform them, some of the energy spent doing so ends up as heat. So the amount of energy that is returned is always less than the amount of energy that was spent, resulting in rolling resistance.
You can minimize this effect by using higher pressure (since this reduces the amount of deformation), or by using a faster tire that loses less energy to hysteresis for a given amount of deformation.
This is the "rolling resistance" that gets measured on the drum.

When people talk about lower pressures performing better, they're talking about how the tire performs as suspension.
Think about what happens when a tire rolls over a surface irregularity. If the tire is pumped too stiff to deform around the irregularity, and instead deflects vertically off that irregularity, you're creating a vertical motion in the entire bike+rider system. This steals energy from your forward motion.
If the tire instead smoothly deforms around the irregularity, this energy loss doesn't happen. So you can prevent this by reducing tire pressure.
Reducing tire pressure does result in greater loss from hysteresis. But even on fairly smooth roads, the energy wasted vibrating a bicycle tends to be far worse than the added hysteresis loss of using an appropriate tire pressure. So there tends to be a pressure sweet spot: you want to be low enough that your tires are working properly as suspension, but not pointlessly low.

Suspension affects depend on the particular system being suspended. They don't show up on BRR because, even though the drum is rough, there's nothing being suspended: the tire is just locked in place against the drum. A rough drum can give higher rolling resistance values than a smooth drum, but this is just because it's creating additional deformation in the tire tread.

burnthesheep wrote:
One important takeaway on the bigger tire trend from most of these sites is that the CRR gain lies in still running the larger tire pumped up to a level that is less comfortable.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced that this is generally the case. BRR's width comparison seems to claim this in their "same comfort" test, but their way of determining "same comfort" seems to be based on a simplistic assumption of how tire spring rate works. At least in static testing, tire deflection against small deflectors is far less width-dependent than it is for flat surfaces. Which would seem to imply that, if a 23mm tire and a 32mm tire are deforming by the same amount against the floor, the 32mm tire will deform more for finer surface irregularities and would thus likely be "more comfortable."

What might be useful is a precise survey of breakpoints for tires of different widths of the same bike+rider and road.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 18, 21 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews?maxweight=401&max=24&min=6&minpr=24

There are multiple contributions to a tire's rolling performance.

One is energy that is spent deforming the tire.
When a part of the tire enters the contact patch, it gets deformed against the ground: this deformation consumes energy from your forward movement. When this part of the tire leaves the contact patch, it springs back to round, and in doing so it returns some energy to your forward movement. However, materials have internal friction, or "hysteresis": when you deform them, some of the energy spent doing so ends up as heat. So the amount of energy that is returned is always less than the amount of energy that was spent, resulting in rolling resistance.
You can minimize this effect by using higher pressure (since this reduces the amount of deformation), or by using a faster tire that loses less energy to hysteresis for a given amount of deformation.
This is the "rolling resistance" that gets measured on the drum.

When people talk about lower pressures performing better, they're talking about how the tire performs as suspension.
Think about what happens when a tire rolls over a surface irregularity. If the tire is pumped too stiff to deform around the irregularity, and instead deflects vertically off that irregularity, you're creating a vertical motion in the entire bike+rider system. This steals energy from your forward motion.
If the tire instead smoothly deforms around the irregularity, this energy loss doesn't happen. So you can prevent this by reducing tire pressure.
Reducing tire pressure does result in greater loss from hysteresis. But even on fairly smooth roads, the energy wasted vibrating a bicycle tends to be far worse than the added hysteresis loss of using an appropriate tire pressure. So there tends to be a pressure sweet spot: you want to be low enough that your tires are working properly as suspension, but not pointlessly low.

Suspension affects depend on the particular system being suspended. They don't show up on BRR because, even though the drum is rough, there's nothing being suspended: the tire is just locked in place against the drum. A rough drum can give higher rolling resistance values than a smooth drum, but this is just because it's creating additional deformation in the tire tread.

burnthesheep wrote:

Maybe, but I'm not convinced that this is generally the case. BRR's width comparison seems to claim this in their "same comfort" test, but their way of determining "same comfort" seems to be based on a simplistic assumption of how tire spring rate works. At least in static testing, tire deflection against small deflectors is far less width-dependent than it is for flat surfaces. Which would seem to imply that, if a 23mm tire and a 32mm tire are deforming by the same amount against the floor, the 32mm tire will deform more for finer surface irregularities and would thus likely be "more comfortable."

What might be useful is a precise survey of breakpoints for tires of different widths of the same bike+rider and road.

Lot's of info. What tire size and pressure would you run on a Hed Jet + 6 front (23 or 25) using Conti 5k when rider is 175-180. Trek Speed Concept. I've seen 23 listed and seen 25 listed as best options. I used to run my tires at 120 years ago and have not been riding around 90.

Just looking for direct information for me. Thanks
So:
23 or 25 tire for front?
tire pressure for front and back?
Quote Reply
Re: Rolling resistance - I'm confused now [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I always find more info useful when taken in context. So I too use the BRR site for relative comparisons, but I’m still frustrated they run their tubed tire tests with butyl inner tubes. This skews their data in head to head comparisons with the tubeless tires they test.

As Tom A is not testing as often, my go to now is Aerocoach. They test with latex tubes and for TLR with consistent sealant volume. These tires are plotted against each other in their graphical results table. A number of the better rolling tires are also tested for aero in the tunnel and on the velodrome. Also very helpful is that their main scientist/owner/manager, Xavier, regularly contributes to ST and is always willing to answer questions or consider other items for testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems I'm late to the party! Everybody has covered all the bases really, but I want to say that Jarno's testing at BRR is still super important for all of us (and was built on the shoulders of giants like TomA !) these roller tests are very good at giving us the left side of the curve as described in the linked blog post already posted: https://blog.silca.cc/...stance-and-impedance

This is the hysteresis side of the curve. The unknown then for each rider is the surface roughness and rider touchpoint hysteresis as well as the rider body hysteresis. Different riders, even of the same mass can have different hysteresis values based on body composition, and there are definitely riders with more supple riding styles that can move the break point by a surprising amount.

The theory here and about 4000 points of data are what drive the SILCA pressure calculator ( https://info.silca.cc/...-pressure-calculator ) I know it has been posted about and discussed here, but this calculator is using an algorithm to estimate your breakpoint pressure based on 4000+ actual optimizations done in the real world with real athletes. We continue to built these data through ongoing testing with teams and athletes, and also have quite a few of our more technical athletes who are using Chung Method to do their own testing that they share with us.. so over time the calculator is growing ever more complex and predictive.

My suggestion would be to use BRR to find the fastest tire at the size and puncture resistance you need and then use our calculator to determine the pressure(s) you need to ride it at as those will change course to course as well.

Best
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply

Prev Next