Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rollers: getting on and off
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted a set of rollers, so when I saw a pair at a local bikes swap for $25, I couldn't pass them buy.

I decided to try them today. Today is a recovery day for me and I can't leave the house because my wife is out and I need to keep an eye on the kids. What an opportunity to try the rollers!

I thought I'd try them first on our level back yard. That way if I go down, I'm going down onto the soft grass, and not onto the concrete of my garage. Once I got set up, however, I realized a problem. How do I get started?

My idea, move the roller a bit closer next to a tree and hold onto the tree till I get some centrifugal force going. That worked OK except I only felt comfortable letting go for a few seconds at a time. I never got both hands on my bars. That and the significant tree bark scrapes on the on the inside of my arm resulting from my grabbing the tree as I went down.

I did the obligatory "get back on" for a few mintutes after that, but there has to be a better way.

Any advice on how to get started with roller.

I've had people tell me to start in a doorway, but I wouldn't dare ride inside. It's either in the garage or in the basement for the rollers and trainer, so that isn't an option for me.

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers: getting on and off [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had people tell me to start in a doorway, but I wouldn't dare ride inside. It's either in the garage or in the basement for the rollers and trainer, so that isn't an option for me.

Learning in the door way is the best way to do it. You have predictable, safe support on both sides of you. Even if you come off you have no where to go.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers: getting on and off [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve's on the money. A doorway, preferably a narrow one. Put yourself in a place where your arm, or if you lean further, your shoulder will hit the doorway.

You may never come off the rollers proper, only take time to get restarted. And this will pass in, oh, 2 weeks. By then you should have no issues.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've always wanted a set of rollers, so when I saw a pair at a local bikes swap for $25, I couldn't pass them buy.

I decided to try them today. Today is a recovery day for me and I can't leave the house because my wife is out and I need to keep an eye on the kids. What an opportunity to try the rollers!

I thought I'd try them first on our level back yard. That way if I go down, I'm going down onto the soft grass, and not onto the concrete of my garage. Once I got set up, however, I realized a problem. How do I get started?

My idea, move the roller a bit closer next to a tree and hold onto the tree till I get some centrifugal force going. That worked OK except I only felt comfortable letting go for a few seconds at a time. I never got both hands on my bars. That and the significant tree bark scrapes on the on the inside of my arm resulting from my grabbing the tree as I went down.

I did the obligatory "get back on" for a few mintutes after that, but there has to be a better way.

Any advice on how to get started with roller.

Thanks,
Victor
Steve is right, in a doorway is the safest way to get comfortable with rollers. I have been riding rollers for over 13 years and have put many thousands of miles on them. Nowdays I just ride them next to the wall. You really do need at least one surface like a wall or window sill to help you get going and to help get off. Rollers have no equal when it comes to your form and smoothness as well as instant feedback about your pedal stroke (both upper and lower runs of the belt rinning smoothly then you are pedaling circles, upper run vibrating then the left leg is pedaling squares, lower run then it is the left leg). They may not have all the tech of some of the newer wind trainers but I think the effect on your riding is superior.
Quote Reply
Re: Rollers: getting on and off [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Learning in the door way is the best way to do it. You have predictable, safe support on both sides of you. Even if you come off you have no where to go.

OK, so my wife was out and the doorway to our laundry room has a tile floor that I can clean up, so a donned my helmet and gave that a try. I managed about 10 minutes of riding with only incidental contact with either side.

The key, for me at least, was to not to try to hold onto the door frame as I did with the tree outside. Instead, I just leaned up against it till I got enough rotational speed up to gradually reduce my reliance on the door frame.

Thanks everybody. I'll get the hang of this soon enough.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers are cool
no flats
the aid station isn't far away

http://www.truckeecyclocross.com
California
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hold brake lever tightly while holding wall, car, doorway, etc. with other hand. one foot is clicked in same side holding brake. click in second foot, still holding wall, doorway, car, etc. begin to pedal and take hand to handle bar. reverse when stopping. rollers need to be level, at least side-to-side. later you may want to elevate front of rollers height of a 2x4.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doorway is a great way to start. Once you are comfortable getting on and off, you don't need a doorway or a wall. It's a little harder with the larger drums because the drop is more significant. But, here's an easy way to teach yourself. Take the bike you intend to ride the rollers on onto your lawn. Hold both brakes down, your stronger foot just above the 9-3 position and swing the other leg over and push down gently without releasing the brakes. You should be able to hold that for a second or two. That's balance. You can learn it without clicking in but getting started on rollers is always easier if one foot is already in. On the lawn, just when you feel ready to tip, release the brakes and ride slow. That's essentially the same motion to start the rollers in the middle of a room except instead of riding away, you start pedaling and spin up quickly to get your balance. It takes a little practice and it's easier in the doorway but once you've mastered it, you can do that anywhere. Dismounting is easier, just swing your leg all the way over and to the floor while applying the brakes gently. It's really no different than riding, swinging your leg over and balancing on the left side of your bike until you come to a stop. Have fun--rollers are great.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The cardinal rule of rollers is DON'T LOOK DOWN. This will only confuse you and is almost always the last thing you do before you fall.
Last edited by: LittleRingMan: May 24, 09 15:13
Quote Reply