Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [CAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Racks will be numbered

Individually?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thery were numbered individually at Firecracker a few weeks ago (same venue and RD) and although it was not as large of a race, it was very well organized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the racks will be individually numbered. And I can't wait to put on each little sticker. :-) Over 1800 stickers while standing in a hot parking lot...anyone want to come help me? Anyone?

:-)Christine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all of your (and your volunteers) efforts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that sounds like a FUN volunteer job! :-) I can help you if you'd like, you can add it to my growing little list of volunteer responsibities! Just save me some of that famous St Croix Rum :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [allyyac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Alison! How is your hand? I'll be looking for the bright pink cast! :)

~Kelly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are welcome! I am amazed at the amount of work that goes into a production like this, but am also loving how much fun it is. Have a great race on Saturday Eric! I'll definitely be cheering for you if I see you!

~Christine
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [trikellys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Kelly! The hand is doing ok, but definately is testing my patience :) At least I can work out a little, so hopefully I won't lose all the summer's worth of training... if all goes well, I hope to run Twin Cities Marathon, but I doubt I will be able to do any tri's until '07.. Are you ready for Steelhead??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your Doc give you the Gore Cast Liner?

http://www.gore.com/...er/procel/index.html

If not, you need to march back in there and demand it. I broke my wrist several summers ago and it was my saving grace to still be able to swim, go to beach, sweat, etc.

Good Luck.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [IronCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was Kevin Grogan in my speedo doing LP. He's alot faster them me! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!! I did get that and it is sweet!! I was actually able to do some one armed drills today!(with the good arm:))it is great not worrying about sweat either..... right now my main limiter is the swelling-- after 30 minutes of running or CT riding, my hand really swells up, but that should get better in time....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about testing the patience! The last time I was injured was a stress fracture and that took me out for 8 weeks. I'm sure you will bounce right back, as strong if not stronger than ever!

As for being ready for Steelhead, well....my training is probably not what most would consider HIM race ready...but since the birth of my son 2 1/2 years ago and my husband's schedule, I've learned to become very creative with my training. All of my riding for the past two years has been on the CompuTrainer - except for race day. I'm on it every Sunday morning by 5AM, doing the Steelhead course and throughout the week during his nap. My running is done with my son in the jogger and then I head back out after he's down for a nap when my husband is home. We have a Bowflex so I can get some weigh training in, usually after Zachary's in bed. As for swimming, well....race day is the only swim I get in. So, as you can see, my training is not what one would consider the 'norm' for a half ironman or really any distance, but it beats the alternative - which is not being able to race at all. I wish we lived closer to family and my old stomping grounds - I'd be doing all my riding where I used to and loved so much. Hopefully when Zachary gets a bit older, I can hit the road again more regularly. He is my favorite running partner, though. :)

Take care Alison, and I'll see ya next week! Christine too!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in. It'll be my first HIM and I'm really excited about it. Everything I heard points to it being a fantastic event.

Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in too!

By the way, Z, any advice for a man who will be hurrying through Chicago traffic Friday to make the 10:00 packet pick up deadline? I'll be leaving at noon to drive all the way across IA and IL and I'm not sure how bad the Chicago traffic will be. I hate to get there that late, but if I run into trouble, is the 10:00 deadline flexible at all or is there a cell phone # I should have?

Looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Anyone want to go for a short swim Friday morning after I get up? Dinner & beers friday night?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm in. Anyone want to go for a short swim Friday morning after I get up? Dinner & beers friday night?[/reply]

I might be up for the swim...depending on the time!

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm in. Anyone want to go for a short swim Friday morning after I get up? Dinner & beers friday night?
I'm probably going for a short swim in the mid to late afternoon. Mostly to look for landmarks on the beach to use for sighting as I had a lot of trouble sighting the buoys last year (they were either green or blue and with the swells it was hard to see them). Might also bike some of the run course just to make sure the bike is working properly after I put it back together (not guaranteed with my bike mechanic skills).
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok this is from a minneapolis racer - I will be staying with friends thursday night in Elgin (west of Chicago).

What is the best way (specific roads) to get me up to St. Joseph's?

I will be driving up Friday am and hope to make it under 3 hours - but from looking at maps there are a variety of routes - I hear there is lots of construction...so if anyone has drive up to MI recently from western chicago - can u tell me what roads you took?

Did the ironmalive "athlete tracker" ever get setup for Steelhead? I remember hearing about that.

thanks.

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To those driving from Chicago, my in-laws told me about sniper shootings on 80/94 on the Indiana side. Be carefull driving.

On another sniper note I was driving up I-65 just a short time after they closed the highway because of the two shootings two sundays ago. I got detoured, saw cops on overpasses and didn't know what had happened until the news that night.

Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way out around chicago that wont take forever. Morons out there decided to put every single road heading out of chicago under construction.

anyway. when i fly from midway airport I just take 94, the hop on the skyway (I90). the get off at the I94 exit. Think it is exit 21.

Stay on 94 into Michigan. Then get off on exit 23 heading North. It is Red Arrow Highway or Business 94. Just stay on that road for 10 miles or so. You will eventually pass the ST JOE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL STADIUM. A couple more miles you will end up in downtown St. Joe. Still stay on the same road. Once you cross the draw bridge take you first left. that will get you to parking for race day. Your second left will take you to the race site on JEAN KLOCK Rd.

let me know if this is confusing
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They caught the sniper last weekend. Turned out to be some pin-headed 17 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck driving from Elgin. You may want to consider leaving a little later, like 9ish to avoid some of the rush hour, unless you're leaving super early (i.e. before 6 am). Second thoughts, leave by 6 if you can. I'm not an expert on the suburban traffic flows, but you may want to consider taking I-90 to I-290 to I-294 South, that way you can avoid downtown altogether, especially the Dan Ryan (I-94 South of the city). I-294 will take you directly to I-94, then follow Ken's directions to exit #23 in Michigan.

I-294 can be bad sometimes, but usually the delays aren't too bad.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]They caught the sniper last weekend. Turned out to be some pin-headed 17 year old.[/reply]

Yeah, I know about the I-65 one. It still kind of freaked me out. Especially since there was a loud bang as something struck my car that morning. Turns out it was a rock, but it freaked me out at home watching the news that night.

The Chicago one is still at large.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Did the ironmalive "athlete tracker" ever get setup for Steelhead?]

It's in the works. We should know by race day. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it'll work better than it did for Vineman. I was concerned that a friend of mine didn't finish, until I realized that most people didn't have finishing times.
Quote Reply

Prev Next