Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to the size of the lake the swim conditions can vary a lot. Last year is was in the mid 70s, but its not unknown for a big storm to come through and whip up some cold water from the bottom of the lake and it drop it into the 50s. There can also be some fair sized waves but it was flat last year.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - good to know. SO I guess it is a good idea for us to put a neoprene cap somewhere in the bottom of the race bag for insurance!!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [jborah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should be at the post-race party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A neoprene cap is a great idea... although I doubt you will need it (did I just jinx us?).

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(did I just jinx us?).

Quick, say something about the swim being smooth as glass. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff- I'm putting you in charge of the water temperature for the race. We would like it to be 70 degrees. Also - we need the lake to be smooth as glass with a slight current going north. See you on Monday! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there (M60-64AG) to make all you young guys feel better about yourselves. If this old man can pull off a 5:XX race, it will do wonders for my MOO confidence.

Oh, and my g/f (30-34) and smart-ass son (35-39) will be there to humiliate me, too.

Good luck to all of you, especially the HIM virgins.

David
Last edited by: glider: Jul 27, 06 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, if the unthinkable happens and the water is 62 with 3-4 ft. waves, please put together some kind of Elite wave for the top contenders, that will still do the whole swim. ;-) Safety is king, but if triathlon was easy, everybody would do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I AGREE WITH THIS ONE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, looking forward to my first open swim in Lake Michigan and to meeting a lot of new ST'ers.

Good luck everyone.

E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z

Would you like fries with that? ;-)

The best I can do is to put out my usual pre-race prediction middle of the week next week.

See you Monday.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The past three years we have had the swim (from south to north). Each year the lake has been flat (0-1 ft).

We will do was is best for the safety of everyone. (athletes, volunteers and spectators) We know that some athletes are very good swimmers and other are very poor swimmers. That really has nothing to do with safety. If the boats, lifeguards and water safety volunteers can monitor the course we will swim.

If not, we have a 2.1 mile run ready to go for the Whirlpool Steelhead Duathlon. Let's hope for a swim.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be volunteering at the finish line (and anywhere else Christine decides to use me) I can't race due a recently broken hand but I did ride and run the course a handful of times before I got injured-- the run course is more scenic and has a nice shadey section or two --while there are a few hills, there aren't any hills like the one at mile 1 from previous years.. Bike course is in great shape!! You all are going to love this race, it is awesome!!! :-) Alison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Tom, if the unthinkable happens and the water is 62 with 3-4 ft. waves, please put together some kind of Elite wave for the top contenders, that will still do the whole swim. ;-) Safety is king, but if triathlon was easy, everybody would do it.[/reply]

Keep in mind that the one or two who think they can handle but can't are usually the ones who file lawsuits and then the race disappears.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when and where has this happened?

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The past three years we have had the swim (from south to north). Each year the lake has been flat (0-1 ft).

We will do was is best for the safety of everyone. (athletes, volunteers and spectators) We know that some athletes are very good swimmers and other are very poor swimmers. That really has nothing to do with safety. If the boats, lifeguards and water safety volunteers can monitor the course we will swim.

If not, we have a 2.1 mile run ready to go for the Whirlpool Steelhead Duathlon. Let's hope for a swim.
Z
If there is no swim, can we get a start the run with headstarts based upon our career PR in the mile (SCY)?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [Action Figure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]when and where has this happened?[/reply]

Don't know in triathlon, at least the lawsuit part. We all know that there are always people who think they can handle more then they can...and always people who are willing to blame their mistakes on others. It's a fact of life with many examples. If it hasn't happened already, it's only a matter of time. Keep in mind nobody thought a person would win a large lawsuit over spilling hot cofee on themselves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not saying, 'let anyone who thinks they can make it try.' I am saying that just because there are a few people who might not make it, or might still try, lets not ruin the race for the top 10 or 15 who are shooting for win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
house. dont be a moron. i am playing. z is a buddy of mine. i was having fun with him. save your lawsuit crap. z will make it the best race possible for everyone
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Ken, thanks for calling me a moron for responding to someone else. I have seen your posts with Tom and assumed you were joking, but hey thanks again.

2) Efernand- I believe that you don't make decisions or tailor a race of 1800 for 10 or 15 people, especially when you could be putting falsely self-confident people in danger.

3) I wasn't coming out for or against having a swim in cold or stormy water, simply pointing out a possible issue. Anyway, back to the rollcall.

Last edited by: House: Jul 27, 06 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no problem. you lawsuit comment, i assumed, was pointed at eric's comment and mine that followed it.

you are right though.. back to the roll call
Last edited by: Ken in Mi: Jul 27, 06 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I believe that you don't make decisions or tailor a race of 1800 for 10 or 15 people...(snip)

That is exactly what you are doing when you shorten/cancel a swim.

As Tom mentioned. The question is whether or not the lifeguards can watch over everyone. 1800 people in rough water is tough to manage, 10-15 is easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this option. If it's that rough, then instead of the swim, everyone can just walk from the pier to the swim exit. That is walk in your wetsuit in waist deep water. That would be harder than a 2.1 mile run.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call - Steelhead HIM (MI) [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be there in the back--shooting for 6:30. I just don't want it to be too hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Never done the course. Racine last weekend, that was fun, hope this is as good.

Leaving Chicago 3 am,

Paul W.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next