Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roll Call : rural triathletes
Quote | Reply
It seems like most people on the board live in large urban areas. Just wondering if I'm the only hick on the forum.

There are definately some triathlon advantages/disadvatages of rural living. The advantages are great rural roads with very little traffic for cycling/running at your doorstep. The disadvantages are a lack of a swimming pool facility and nobody else in the immediate area being involved in the sport. No LBS either.

Who else lives in the boonies? What are your thoughts about advantages/disadvantages?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and probably no chipotle:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I luck out: I live in a town of 9K but am only about an hour away from ABQ (500,000). I also have two pools in town and an active running club. Whodathunkit?

New Mexico is weird like that, though. There are a lot of sprints all around the state in smaller towns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Chicago, but I would gladly return to my rural southwest Michigan roots. I went riding there last weekend and it was fabulous. Hardly a car on the road. Miles without intersections.

Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and probably no chipotle:-) "

No fast junk food chains in the entire area. Guess that's why I can proudly post that I haven't been to a McD's in eight years, the amount of time since I moved here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SW MI here. Busy beach town in the summer and quiet bedroom community (but with a vibrant "downtown") the remainder of the time. Always great for training - I can be (i) in the middle of nowhere, (ii) on a wooded trail/park or (iii) on the water within minutes. Ask anyone of the 550 participants in the first annual Grand Haven Y Tri/Du held two weeks ago.

BTW, none of you may move here without my permission.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought exactly.....

I trained many of the local managers for the MN Aids Ride (Sponsored by Chipotle). No pay, but I rec'd good benefits!

http://www.redribbonride.org/

Providing you don't eat the tortilla sour cream, cheese or guac....it's a nice meal!

I used to work for a software company in Cincy and they used to take me to Skyline on my visits. EEEEK!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can women ride alone? :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North western Michigan here on the shores of lake Michigan. Hilly place to ride without a lot of traffic. Great places to run. Pools are a little bit of a journey, one is 10 miles away and the other is 15, but lots of lakes for swimming.

Good people to train with is a big plus, I just wish I had some.

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm sort of rural in SW Michigan.

Kalamazoo is closest "big city" to home. i teach and train at the largest facility in the region with a pool, which is still only 15 minutes away. office is about 20 minutes from home. training however is right out the back door for the swim, and the area roads are very accomodating for long riding/running. large tri club here and a great LBS. i have more events to choose from within a reasonable drive radius its silly. hence, sort of.

Chicago and Detroit are only 2.5 hours either way. great for day or weekend trips. Lake Michigan is 45 minutes away. awesome trout and salmon fly fishing is also really close. hard to beat.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For real is your name Bob Parr? You may be a distant relative. My father's side of the family is from farmland in northeast Indiana. Angola area. Ton of Parr's around there, not so much down in NC where my family and I now live.

alicia parr

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in a town of 1,000 people in central Vermont. Nearest decent pool is about 30 minutes away. Beautiful running and riding, though. Also, a regionally known tri shop/fitter is 6 miles away, and there are a surprising number of triathletes, including Ironman vets, in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cousin Alicia,

Alas no, Bob Parr is the name the Hero Relocation Program gave me. I do not want to blow my cover by giving out my real name on the internet.

Yours truly,

Mr. Incredible (oops)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I live in a very small town (Winthrop, WA pop. 360), it is a tourist town in the mountains so we have more amenities than most towns our size. There is a pool but it is only open from mid-June to Labor Day and lap swimming is limited to 1 hr. Fortunately, there are 2 good swimming lakes close by but, again, the season is limited.

We have 2 LBS's and a very active, but small cycling community - mt. bike races/tt's alternating Tuesdays from May to Oct. As you mentioned, the cycling is great in rural areas. I did a 100 miles Saturday with about 5000' of climbing with not 1 traffic light and just one stop sign.

The trail system (mt.bike/running/hiking/xc skiing) is 200K not counting forest service roads and has any kind of terrain imaginable. We have trail running and xc ski race series.

Franchises are not allowed, so the nearest McD's is 45 miles away. The quality of the local restaurants is much better than almost any franchise.

Downside. Without the internet, it would be difficult to live here. A lot of my tri stuff is bought on line because it is 200 miles to the nearest, fully stocked store.

The deer population is almost out of control. I have yet to get in my car or on my bike without seeing a dead one along the road. Gardens and landscaping are constantly in peril. I see more deer than cars on many runs/rides.

We have other wildlife (bears, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves) but they do not bother us very often. Pets have been victims, however.

Not many single women. The town is totally dead in November and April. Even in the summer, everything closes fairly early. Nearest movie theatre is 40 miles away. Without a treadmill, computrainer and recently acquired Medallion Swim Spa, tri-training would be severely limited by the weather.

Due to the location, real estate is somewhat inflated yet it takes a long time to sell for the same reason.

Very few employment opportunities other than tourist related minimum wage type jobs.

All that being said, I moved here from LA and I would do it again in a heart beat. When my time comes, my ashes will be scattered from a nearby mountain top. In the meanwhile, I am overwhelmed by the scenery on a daily basis.

"You know you are getting old when you see your father in the mirror." anon

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in a town of about 15,000 deep in the flatlands of South Georgia. Total population of our county is about 38,000. I'm two hours north of Jacksonville, Fla., and three hours south of Atlanta. Our local junior college has a brand new indoor pool, and I also live near a large lake. So I'm minutes away from a lap pool and open water swimming. I have a variety of lightly-traveled roads to ride on. Last weekend, I rode 95 miles from my house to my grandmother's house on two-lane backwoods roads with few cars and a lot of hills.

Unlike your community, we do have quite a few fast food restaurants to choose from, including a McD's. The advantages of my community far outweigh the disadvantages. I am within driving distance of races of all distances -- from sprints to Ironman.

Worst thing is the lack of a LBS. The closest bike shop is an hour away, but the one I consider "my" shop is 95 miles from home.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I promise I won't tell anyone. ;0

A

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of michigan folks on the forum, good to see...I envy you, I grew up in Grand Rapids (Wyoming actually), and, after spending the last 10 years in SE michigan, dream of living on Lake Michigan for the rest of my life.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Michigan is a great State. I spend lots o' time around the entire state (save the UP). Call me for an application : )
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I spent the first years of my professional life in St. Joe Michigan after growing up just over the border in Michigan City Indiana. Left because of the winters but the summer and fall you just can't beat. Some of my best training memories are from those areas.

------------------------------------------------
Fight............Finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's funny as shit. BTW - wait till I tell Deeg you want some real training partners : )
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Digger262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a beautiful area. I actually kind of dig some of the winter months, it's the period from Feb - April that the weather is driving me crazy. I love the variety of the seasons though.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an hour south of Atlanta. I live in a small mostly rural town. We love it. I still work in Atl so I get my city fix, but riding and running here is a joy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hometown is Citrus County, Florida...definately no Chipotle. The county is growing, but nothing like the hustle and bustle of an urban area. It's nice to be able to find a backroad and just ride with no one in sight.

I actually go to school in Annapolis, MD. Although it's the state capitol, a short 10 mile ride will put you outside of the "city" and into some NICE farm country. I was surprised in the change of scenery once you head out of the city...almost the best of both worlds as far as bike training goes. Not a lot of hills though, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another from SW Michigan. I'm about 35 miles north of Jim; I can get to Grand Rapids, Kalamzoo or Battle Creek for a good LBS. About 10 miles to a super new pool. Live in the middle of Barry State Game area, so there are lots of rual roads with little traffic and lots of trails for mountain biking or running. For MI, it's a fairly hilly area for a variety of training options. A 3 min drive to a lake with no boat traffic for most of my warm weather swim training. Wouldn't move for anything.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call : rural triathletes [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at Jack's bike split at Interlochen. This guy is not good enough to carry my bike pump to a race. And don't believe his bullshit story about two flat tires.

I need some good guys to race against. What do you have planned in the next few weeks? I am doing Mackinaw and then riding back to Petoskey. Alos going to do the Petoskey race. Thinking about Mark Mellon.

Gar

Quote Reply

Prev Next