Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
Doing the Long course, first time racing here. Really just doing it for shits and giggles, have no intentions on PR'ing or anything. Is this a decent race/course to use your road bike? Kind of leaning that way as opposed to taking my trip bike out there.

Tri bike. There is a climb and some rollers getting out of the park, but the majority of the course is a net downhill on the backside. Then you climb nasty grade and there’s a huge downhill then rollers. Definitely a tri bike course

Ok cool, thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree with ChrisM, tirbike. You would be fine on a roadbike, if thats all you had or if traveling with your tribike was a concern, but the tribike will be so appreciated on a lot of the course!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Definitely agree with ChrisM, tirbike. You would be fine on a roadbike, if thats all you had or if traveling with your tribike was a concern, but the tribike will be so appreciated on a lot of the course!

I live in LA and am going up with some buddies in a RV, so travel is not a concern and also no concern here on the fact that it is a "hilly" course with some climbs. Just thought that since I really have no intentions on really pushing it hard and the fact that there are some decent climbs, maybe taking the roadie would make sense, but sounds like some free speed can be gained on the descents, so Tri bike it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike all the way. Nasty Grade is the only real climb IMO and even that doesn't need a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about heading up to Lake San Antonio this weekend to do a little race rehearsal (olympic distance) and was curious if anyone else will be up there? Would be cool to get a little group together on the swim to simulate race day.

My plan was to do full olympic swim, bike the oly course around race pace, then do a 30 minute or so tempo run off the bike to get a feel for what I can do on race day.

Let me know if you'd like to join!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no shortage of people at the lake practicing lately. It already has a festival atmosphere about it. I even had a couple of people with cowbells cheer me on as I ran the run course. They were just there with cowbells already. I ended up running with a gal from somewhere in the bay area, totally spontaneous. A lot of people on the road riding the long course. I swam from the ramp to the buoy no problem (it was like 200 yards max). There were other groups swimming the shoreline. There are a lot of people out there already.

Here are some pics from weekend before last.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome. I'll be out there Saturday morning!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KellyNCollier wrote:
In! Coming all the way from PA to race the half along with a few others.

With all that water, I'm making an assumption that it will be back to the "regular" course, and the swim start/finish will be actually near the transition area? I was at Wildflower as a spectator a few years ago with the long T1 run so I'm not actually sure where the regular swim was supposed to be anyways.

Also, since we have Savageman here as our local race of horrors, I'm predicting Nasty Grade to be cake in comparison and the run to be a train wreck. Let the fun begin!

From what I recall, no matter where else you've raced not much cake to be found on that course.
The run will be scenic, so try to save something to enjoy the shenanigans.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode the course today. First time since 2004 and they obviously haven't paved the roads since then. Those are the worst roads I have ever ridden on in my life. I'd honestly say they were borderline unsafe. Countless potholes, cracks, etc. If you have any loose fillings then they're gone after 56 miles. I thought it was super hard to get any rhythm at all.

Is Nasty Grade or the run the worst? I'd take both of those easily over these roads.

I'll be there for the long course. Should be fun either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
Rode the course today. First time since 2004 and they obviously haven't paved the roads since then. Those are the worst roads I have ever ridden on in my life. I'd honestly say they were borderline unsafe. Countless potholes, cracks, etc. If you have any loose fillings then they're gone after 56 miles. I thought it was super hard to get any rhythm at all.

Is Nasty Grade or the run the worst? I'd take both of those easily over these roads.

The race only starts at Nasty Grade. That's the easiest part of a well executed Wildflower race. If it does not feel like a cruise heading up, the run will be absolute misery. The hardest part of the bike course are all the rollers after Nasty Grade heading back to T2...and after that you have the run which is the hardest part. You have to leave a lot in the tank for going in and out of what I call the "pit" at mile 10/12 range. Coming out of there is a killer especially if it is hot. You climb all the way to the final downhill but if you are done, you have no legs left for the downhill to the finish and that's steep an hard. In general I have had good races at Wildflower because I listened to guys like Monty who said that all the hardest part was starting at Nasty Grade. What I found was you can have a rythm up to and including Nasty Grade...after that and for the entire run, you're constantly being hammered by short or long duration hills and you can't get into any good rythm. I found this favored my background as an XC ski racer as almost all of the racing in that sport is hard and short spikey hills and I'd typically go to Wildflower a month after ski race season was done.

As for the pavement, I first raced in 1996, then 2007, 2010, 2015....no one touched the pavement since 1996!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lakerfan wrote:

The race only starts at Nasty Grade. That's the easiest part of a well executed Wildflower race. If it does not feel like a cruise heading up, the run will be absolute misery. The hardest part of the bike course are all the rollers after Nasty Grade heading back to T2...and after that you have the run which is the hardest part. You have to leave a lot in the tank for going in and out of what I call the "pit" at mile 10/12 range. Coming out of there is a killer especially if it is hot. You climb all the way to the final downhill but if you are done, you have no legs left for the downhill to the finish and that's steep an hard. In general I have had good races at Wildflower because I listened to guys like Monty who said that all the hardest part was starting at Nasty Grade. What I found was you can have a rythm up to and including Nasty Grade...after that and for the entire run, you're constantly being hammered by short or long duration hills and you can't get into any good rythm. I found this favored my background as an XC ski racer as almost all of the racing in that sport is hard and short spikey hills and I'd typically go to Wildflower a month after ski race season was done.

As for the pavement, I first raced in 1996, then 2007, 2010, 2015....no one touched the pavement since 1996!!!!

When I was referring to how hard it was to get a rhythm, it had nothing to do with the course terrain. It was all about the road surface. In fact, I was getting bounced up, down and around so much I'm almost convinced my power meter wasn't reading accurately. I had both pads on my aero bars drop on me multiple times due to large potholes. Lost a bottle (and half of my liquid nutrition). Btw, I haven't lost a bottle in probably 12 years. If there is anything remotely loose on your bike, I promise it will come off.

Sure, overall, the course is challenging and it certainly gets most interesting once you hit Nasty Grade. However, I'm not sure what the condition of the roads were like when you did it last in 2015 but these roads are pure 100% shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds about right.

Last time I did long course, got back to T2 and looked at the bike, the rear bottle cage had broken right off, bottle and all

I do recall Plenty of lengthwise cracks on the backside of the course.

Thanks for the report, good to know going in
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 21, 18 20:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we went out there a couple weeks ago, and i thought the same thing. i have raced WF 4 times and ridden the course another 6 times probably. All within the last 7 years. But man those roads seemed horrible a couple weeks ago. I never thought they were pristine by any means, but they are bad now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was the trail pretty overgrown in lots of spots between mile 3-7? we went out there a couple weeks ago and it was pretty bad. just wondering if they have cleaned it up yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody see anything about swim waves yet?

How about final numbers as far as registration? I see the long course is sold out!

Any thoughts on arriving Thur vs arriving Friday? I think I read somewhere that the gates open at noon Thur. Do you think there will be many folks arriving then? Or mostly Friday?

I'm curious to see how this year compares to the last couple of years, and to the crowds of years ago.

See you all out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:

Agreed, the roads are horrifying--or at least were in 2016 when they last held the race. The pavement in some sections is so bad that it seems like a joke, huge and jarring cracks. I am looking forward to lots of aspects of Wildflower next weekend, but I am not looking forward to those roads. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote] Agreed, the roads are horrifying--or at least were in 2016 when they last held the race. The pavement in some sections is so bad that it seems like a joke, huge and jarring cracks. I am looking forward to lots of aspects of Wildflower next weekend, but I am not looking forward to those roads. :([/quote]

Awesome

Forecast looks like it is going to be HOT too

Last edited by: TriSpencer: Apr 26, 18 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Agreed, the roads are horrifying--or at least were in 2016 when they last held the race. The pavement in some sections is so bad that it seems like a joke, huge and jarring cracks. I am looking forward to lots of aspects of Wildflower next weekend, but I am not looking forward to those roads. :([/quote]

Awesome

Forecast looks like it is going to be HOT too[/quote]
You're right, supposed to get up to 85 degrees. Partly cloudy, that should help some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i couldnt believe how bad they have gotten over the years, and i live in areas with bad roads! this will probably be my last year until some of those roads are addressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat wave coming through that happens to peak the day of Long Course :(

Last edited by: niccolo: Apr 26, 18 21:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, last i looked it was like 78. Gotten warmer. Ah well. Not much to do about that but slow down (even more)

Its still gonna change a bunch by then
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 26, 18 21:58
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
i couldnt believe how bad they have gotten over the years, and i live in areas with bad roads! this will probably be my last year until some of those roads are addressed.

Sounds like living in Michigan. It is pretty much impossible to create a good single-loop 56 mile course without at least some rough roads. We run wider tires and skateboard tape inside our bottle cages.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
Anybody see anything about swim waves yet?

How about final numbers as far as registration? I see the long course is sold out!

Any thoughts on arriving Thur vs arriving Friday? I think I read somewhere that the gates open at noon Thur. Do you think there will be many folks arriving then? Or mostly Friday?

I'm curious to see how this year compares to the last couple of years, and to the crowds of years ago.

See you all out there!

I haven't seen anything about swim waves yet. I've been on the hunt for that! With the weather I have no doubt that I will, once again, be in the last wave to start off (long course).

You'll get a better camping spot on Thursday and there will certainly be quite a few people already out there. Given the choice, I'd get out there a day early and explore the course or at least head to town and enjoy downtown Paso.

As far as numbers, it will definitely be more than the last 5-6 years. I haven't seen this much buzz about Wildflower in maybe a decade. Its exciting!

See ya'all out there!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the weekend! I am doing the long course for the 1st time. I have done the Olympic several times. Sounds like the roads will be rough. There seems to be a great plan for the full weekend this year! See you all there.

-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call: Wildflower 2018 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well. Coming from Canada, this will be delightful *packs puffy coat and SPF 100*
Quote Reply

Prev Next