Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz
Quote | Reply
Where do we start with this? Terrenzone after being hit by a truck several months ago goes way sub 8. Cam Wurf...that guy who "can't run" goes sub 8 with a 2:56 run? This is something like his zillionth IM of the year.

Now we just need a 20 m draft zone in Kona (come on Jimmy Riccitello and Andrew Messick....make it happen)!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf was one of the most impressive races in Kona for me. It was a day he should've been way behind, or lots more should have caught him. Today, he was not far off Terenzo, and he keeps improving. Regardless of the 20m draft...if they get a day like...2001? 2? where Steve Larsen biked 4:50 or something and was way off front, I think he has a very legit shot the way he keeps improving.

Fun race to watch on the tracker even!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Wurf was one of the most impressive races in Kona for me. It was a day he should've been way behind, or lots more should have caught him. Today, he was not far off Terenzo, and he keeps improving. Regardless of the 20m draft...if they get a day like...2001? 2? where Steve Larsen biked 4:50 or something and was way off front, I think he has a very legit shot the way he keeps improving.

Windy day and 20m draft zone and he beats Lange by 3-5 minutes after outbiking by 20-25 minutes. On a high TSS bike day Lange does not have 2:40 in his legs. On these low TSS days that he got lucky with, well sure. There is a reason why Lange does not win non Kona IM's. There is not such a massive train for him to lower his TSS with. Give Cam a 20m draft zone and a windy day and the fastest runners run 5 min slower than they have been and Cam has a fighting chance.

Regardless, Cam has had a super year. I am really amazed how close Terrenzo was to Cam off the bike though. That was the revelation of Western Oz for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dfru wrote:

Windy day and 20m draft zone and he beats Lange by 3-5 minutes after outbiking by 20-25 minutes. On a high TSS bike day Lange does not have 2:40 in his legs. On these low TSS days that he got lucky with, well sure. There is a reason why Lange does not win non Kona IM's. There is not such a massive train for him to lower his TSS with. Give Cam a 20m draft zone and a windy day and the fastest runners run 5 min slower than they have been and Cam has a fighting chance.

Regardless, Cam has had a super year. I am really amazed how close Terrenzo was to Cam off the bike though. That was the revelation of Western Oz for me.

Terenzo has really elevated his cycling over the last two years, but pretty incredible race for sure.

I don't think Wurf wants the rules changed to benefit him, I think he just wants to win the race as it is. At least that's the impression I get from him. When he broke Normann's record last year, he tweeted that it didn't count because Normann won the race and he didn't. He recognizes it's a triathlon and I think he would rather win the race in front of him. Just my impression.

I agree, I think Lange won races that were set up well for him, but you could say the same for Crowie 2008-9 perhaps. But the champ he is showed in 2011. I agree though, he was nowhere close to Frodeno in Frankfurt and was off the bike with him essentially. He's made for Kona for sure.

Madame Pele will give us a good year this year...we are due...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spectating the race, it really was unreal to watch Cam Wurf ride like a demon possessed. Just next level. To note, his and Bozzone’s bike handling skills around corners at warp speed is amazing to watch.
To note, both fellas came to the finish and had chats with everyone until very late!. Ultimate professionals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Windy day and 20m draft zone and he beats Lange by 3-5 minutes after outbiking by 20-25 minutes.

We're like several months on and *still* fabricating specific conditions in an alternative universe where a mediocre 8th place might have won?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam runs more than 5 minutes slower than usual on a high TSS day.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all surprised. Both seem like great dudes - the type you would love to have as training partners.

Not all triathletes give off that vibe haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this one, it's all about Bozzone for me. What an incredible performance, and two amazingly strong showings in his first two races, post-accident. Talk about a strong comeback, wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Where do we start with this? Terrenzone after being hit by a truck several months ago goes way sub 8. Cam Wurf...that guy who "can't run" goes sub 8 with a 2:56 run? This is something like his zillionth IM of the year.

Now we just need a 20 m draft zone in Kona (come on Jimmy Riccitello and Andrew Messick....make it happen)!!!!

Another salient point is that Bozzone only beat Wurf by 1:40, a small margin over almost 8 hrs of racing.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TakeYourTime wrote:
Spectating the race, it really was unreal to watch Cam Wurf ride like a demon possessed. Just next level. To note, his and Bozzone’s bike handling skills around corners at warp speed is amazing to watch.
To note, both fellas came to the finish and had chats with everyone until very late!. Ultimate professionals.

He passed me on the bike and it sounded like fighter jet. Like I was not moving at all. I wanted to cheer but was too tired.

Hands down the best thing about Ironman triathlon

One of the pros encouraged me on the run too. I didn’t recognize him but I’m going to try and figure out who it was. I am a fan forever
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Cam runs more than 5 minutes slower than usual on a high TSS day.

You're basing that off what races he has done recently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really happy for Terrenzo, just an awesome comeback between the 70.3 and yesterday’s win. Hopefully he will be in great shape in Kona and have the race he deserves!
As for Cam, very good result considering what time of year it is. I believe he will continue to improve on the run, and wouldn’t be surprised if he ran sub 2:50 next year.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Kona qualification done (two spots at IMWA I think) his plan of training and racing the LA Marathon should be interesting. A real run block is something that most don't have the time to do, but with his bike durability, he should be able to run near 2:50 for sure. I was impressed with how he looked running in Kona, it looks like he can certainly "get there" to me. He might need the perfect day for him with exceptional winds etc but he is putting himself in the conversation on that day. Of the three from 2017 who were off the front, he backed it up best for sure.

Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah LA will be interesting for sure, sub 2:40 would be a good result for him.
I do believe that with the improvements he is making, that he needs less and less external factors to be in contention, I mean 5 more min on the run and he will win most races he enters.

Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He seems to be super durable, and he seems to have a lot of people who are experts working with him. I'm excited to see where he ends up going.

I would think sub 2:40 would be good - see how the people at Nike help him out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bozzone is supposed to be racing Bahrain 70.3 on the 8th too. Three wins in three weeks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great comeback for Bozzone. He was even 4 and half minutes faster 2 years ago so unless the conditions were so much different he was probably using this as a brick session.

That 20 meter rule might have to be longer for lead motos and camera bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Superb point re Lange not winning non Kona IM's - needing the long trains of the uniquely stacked field to get a low enough TSS on the bike to unleash that run.

As for Cam, impressed. Is that 7 IM's? I wonder if this is his learning and development year and he'll cut that down next year to go all in for Kona. It's run legs that would suffer the most (or need managing pace wise) on that sort of schedule so it's possible he had a faster run in him even this year than he's shown, regardless of what he can add for next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

His Strava run is a spot-on 42.2k as well. Probably his best run to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he said he would be racing less fulls next year, though still racing more than most.

Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Superb point re Lange not winning non Kona IM's - needing the long trains of the uniquely stacked field to get a low enough TSS on the bike to unleash that run.

As for Cam, impressed. Is that 7 IM's? I wonder if this is his learning and development year and he'll cut that down next year to go all in for Kona. It's run legs that would suffer the most (or need managing pace wise) on that sort of schedule so it's possible he had a faster run in him even this year than he's shown, regardless of what he can add for next.

Since Cam got hit Kona q done, a good bet would be 1 IM during spring/early summer, and then Kona. But Cam being Cam, who knows :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is racing Challenge Daytona 70.3 next weekend. Along with Starky, Potts, Matt Russel and others.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

We need a time based draft zone. The zone where you have advantage from the one in front of you grows with speed so a fixed size draft zone doesn't make sense. A time based draft zone (2 sec for example) is easy for an athlete to check and penalties could also be given based on passing times on timing mats.
Quote Reply
Re: Rockstars: Bozzone and Wurf Sub 8 at Western Oz [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea... Only timing mats don't discern between left in the lane or right and if it did it would be a moment sample. You would prove someone was close at that moment but it doesn't show if the rider was sitting up braking, passing, getting passed, or following too close with intent to gain benefit

Just thinking out loud
If the GPS tech accuracy was there, the ideal would be GPS timing chips and a program that calculates how long each rider was violating for... Then penalties served to only the top percentage... The down side is athletes racing at the conjested time slots would get punished over people that drafted less but in a way that influenced kona slots or results. In top of that the system would have to be transparent... Which makes it a usable... Eg. If you know that the top drafters drafted for 8 minutes... Then an athlete might think 5 is safe next race. But eventually after a few races that would whittle down and you could use stats to work out who was significantly out of the norm that day. There might have to be an algorhythm based on category position so that drafting 3 minutes to podium would be worse than drafting 12 minutes to bop. Or at least that you're comparing to peers in your group. Perhaps a logarhythm that factors in speed since the benefit is exponential
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Dec 3, 18 7:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next