Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roadies who snub running
Quote | Reply
Why do some pure roadies tend to snub running? I find this a bit curious and kind of amusing. I guess it's a tribal thing. I do not find the opposite to be true of pure runners - they tend to respect cycling. I guess most runners tend to workout by themselves or with 1-2 others, hence there's no "pack" mentality or general attitude that develops. Wondering what other slowtwitchers may have observed around this topic.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: May 3, 19 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not here.

I did one du, but I ride bikes. When the local marathon comes by the MUP behind the house I take a chair out there and my coffee and noise maker to cheer them on and give encouraging.

True roadies, who race, probably run in off season a good bit. I follow a few pros on the company team who run 6’s for 10k distance.

Sure, a few turds, but anyone I mention running to in the bike group is generally highly impressed by runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Where are you from? I'm from the Northeast and would say this is truly a phenomenon. I guess I've just been noticing it lately. The occasional comments and snickers on group rides and out on Strava. But I digress...!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its all about thinking one group is better then another. Some radies do it to triathletes too "because they're not great at any one thing", some triathletes are snobby to towards runners/cyclists/swimmers because they cant do all three...runners on LetsRun hate everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit cycle racing and group rides back in the 80's because they were such pricks as a whole, even back then. I gave it 2 years, and it just wasn't my kind of scene. There are dicks everywhere, but I've never seen this level of prickness in running, swimming, or triathlons.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Thanks. Where are you from? I'm from the Northeast and would say this is truly a phenomenon. I guess I've just been noticing it lately. The occasional comments and snickers on group rides and out on Strava. But I digress...!
I think a lot of it is tongue in cheek, but true runners can get a little runner-y in their conversations. And I think they like to rag on triathletes simply over bike handling and sleeveless kits. I don't think there's deep down animosity. If someone has that, they have the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed it when I lived in New England. I don’t see it here in SoCal.

Here I smile, nod, wave or grunt at anyone who is out exercising. It’s not always reciprocated, but there is no bias to exercisers of another breed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean "snub" as in having a generally snobbish attitude?

I don't see this in SoCal, which is pretty snobbish in general. Roadies basically never talk about running or runners at all. The only thing that comes to mind is when a marathon or something closes a bunch of roads, and we have to go around. But that's just a general annoyance at the situation, not directed at the runners themselves. We're perfectly aware that some bike races require road closures too.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I quit cycle racing and group rides back in the 80's because they were such pricks as a whole, even back then. I gave it 2 years, and it just wasn't my kind of scene. There are dicks everywhere, but I've never seen this level of prickness in running, swimming, or triathlons.

You're quite the grumpy old man.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raleigh.

Me, I think folks can’t knock it till you try it. Or “tri” it.

Running is tough. It’s a religion requiring devotion and care. You can’t just throw intensity at it to make up for time. Swimming? All that form. All three? So far and such balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
I do not find the opposite to be true of pure runners - they tend to respect cycling.

Have you been on letsrun?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snub order IMO.

1) Swimmers who wear t-shirts that say "swimming is my super power". Look how they protect their turf on ST.

1.5) Triathletes.

2) Cyclists because it takes more money, time and skill to ride a bike than run.

3) Runners are the most humble and the involuntary celibates of the group (go see Let'srun). Try to make up for it by going long.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snub?

Same reason I snub any sport I'm not interested in.

Because I don't care about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very easy to be a poser roadie. Buy a bling bike and all the gear, spin around for 20k then sit at the coffee shop for 3 hours and ride home. Tough to be a poser runner. If you're out there you're getting it done.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not noticed that at all. Indeed I had a load of my road club who volunteer marshal for the local run and tri races. Some came down to support me and the other triathletes at the Ironman, and plenty do the bike leg for the teams event at the half ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Don_W wrote:
I do not find the opposite to be true of pure runners - they tend to respect cycling.

Have you been on letsrun?

I've never heard of letsrun, I'm just referring to people I run with and post on Strava. Personally, I honestly can't recall meeting a snobby runner.

- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: May 3, 19 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running is hard on the legs. Cyclists generally have the cardio but need to build the run specific strength. I would consider myself more of a cyclist than a runner. Whenever I take a break from running and then get back into it I have to force myself to take my time. With my cardio I could go forever but my legs doth protest to much.
I know plenty of “pure roadies” who run in the off-season. During race season it is detrimental to put that kind of non-specific stress on your legs.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know plenty of cyclists who snub the act of running, but no one with any animosity towards those who identify as runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think roadies snub runners. However, there are definitely lots of roadies that are overweight riding expensive rigs in group rides. Running is a different beast. There are lots roadies that do not run because it is too difficult and too hard on the body to run and run well.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Snub order IMO.

1) Swimmers who wear t-shirts that say "swimming is my super power". Look how they protect their turf on ST.

1.5) Triathletes.

2) Cyclists because it takes more money, time and skill to ride a bike than run.

3) Runners are the most humble and the involuntary celibates of the group (go see Let'srun). Try to make up for it by going long.

This^. I'm a roadie. Wish I could run and swim. Can't. Admire those who can and do. I have a sister who was a triathlete until she broke her back and isn't allowed to run anymore.

The only athletes I've heard roadies snub are triathletes - and only for their handling skills.

This thread does an excellent job of demonstrating that roadies aren't the only snobs on bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
There are lots roadies that do not run because it is too difficult and too hard on the body to run and run well.

Ever been to a local 5k? "Running well" doesn't seem to be a condition of participation.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Both of my 8 and 10 year old kids will run a 5k with me from time to time. Running a 5k being a “runner” are two different things.
Quote Reply
Re: Roadies who snub running [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Lol. Both of my 8 and 10 year old kids will run a 5k with me from time to time. Running a 5k being a “runner” are two different things.

^This. A friend of mine who's a crossfitter ran a 5k the other day, out of the blue, without any running training besides the short runs they do at his gym/box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Very easy to be a poser roadie. Buy a bling bike and all the gear, spin around for 20k then sit at the coffee shop for 3 hours and ride home.

Not very easy at all. It took me years to learn all the skills. Keeping up with the season's appropriate sock length (last year was about high socks, but it's back to classic length now) alone takes constant attention. Keeping every bike detail right (no head units on top of stems). I could go on and in....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Very easy to be a poser roadie. Buy a bling bike and all the gear, spin around for 20k then sit at the coffee shop for 3 hours and ride home. Tough to be a poser runner. If you're out there you're getting it done.

That is if we make the distinction in pace between slogging, jogging, and running. Or distance.

I didn’t feel like I was ever running until the pace got under the 8’s. Even then, that’s slow for the actual runners. Actual runners probably log more Mpw than poser roadies do on bikes.

Also, lots of roadies have no clue how slow they actually are.

Getting into a couple races, I’ve learned how small a fish I am in a big pond.
Quote Reply

Prev Next