Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight
Quote | Reply
It seems like Brands Aero & Climbing bikes are gradually merging together. If you look at Scott given the Foils tubing is fairly truncated anyway the latest Addict now looks fairly similar. Once you account for things that allow a more aero position such as narrow bars are the differences in aero performance becoming narrow enough that the more "all rounder" bikes like the new Emonda, Addict and Tarmac will gradually surpass all out aero bikes as the racers choice not just in the mountains but in general crits and road races?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
bikes like the new Emonda, Addict and Tarmac will gradually surpass all out aero bikes as the racers choice not just in the mountains but in general crits and road races?

I tend to agree. I've been on a pure aero bike for over a decade now (Felt AR/ Cervelo S5). But for my next bike I'll seriously consider one of the more general purpose frames that has a good amount of aero design. E.g. I'd probably take the Cannondale SuperSix over the SystemSix.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure it comes down to weight differences. You can probably build something like a new Tarmac up that is maybe a kilo lighter than a Venge. So 4 to 5 watts per kilo for a good mortal saved when purely climbing. Aero-wise you can probably save more using a full aero bike, lets say 8 to 10 watts. The interesting thing is that I think disc brakes have kind of killed off much of the ability to build a 12 or 13 lb climbing bike. The gap between aero and climbing is closing but I would say the climbing bike is getting closer to the aero bike. It certainly isn’t like the old days when a bike like the SL3 Tarmac was 20 watts slower than a S5.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in that decision last year and ended up with a Tarmac SL6 on Zipp 303 NSW. I think the wheels play a large part for aero and mixing a lightweight frame with aero wheels helps you to get best of both worlds. Very happy, bike feels fast on the flat and still is at approx 7 kg or 14 lbs. Looking back I probably could have picked Zipp 404s at the penalty of 100 or 200 gr.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
boing wrote:
bikes like the new Emonda, Addict and Tarmac will gradually surpass all out aero bikes as the racers choice not just in the mountains but in general crits and road races?

I tend to agree. I've been on a pure aero bike for over a decade now (Felt AR/ Cervelo S5). But for my next bike I'll seriously consider one of the more general purpose frames that has a good amount of aero design. E.g. I'd probably take the Cannondale SuperSix over the SystemSix.
As an all round bike the SuperSix ride quality will be way nicer in general than the SystemSix. I ride a SuperSix and can't say I've ridden a SystemSix but I am friendly with the guys in my shop who have ridden both and give me the run down on ride quality of other bikes they stock including Scott, Ridley and Pinarello. Most rave about the SuperSix as best all round bike they've ridden and way less harsher ride than the SystemSix. Note this year Mitchelton Scott Greenedge cycling team only ride the Addict and not the Foil this year and Pinarello only make the one all round bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure in one of Emonda write ups they said that Trek Segafredo will probably ride the Emonda in 7 out 10 race days. So I guess if you remove the cobbled classics it will be a tad higher % for the rest of the races.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I figure it comes down to weight differences. You can probably build something like a new Tarmac up that is maybe a kilo lighter than a Venge.

I'd say the Venge is the exception to that. My Venge, with Dua Ace Di2, would clock in at about 7-7.1kg with tubulars (it is 7.3kg right now, with clinchers and in a size 56). You are looking at maybe 300gm savings by going to a Tarmac.

For me, that was a big reason to choose the Venge. It's an aero bike but a very versatile one, and feels/handles like a regular bike.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 40kph drag is split roughly in the following proportions

Rider 65-75%
Wheels 15-25%
Frame 8-12%

Aero wheels are much more effective than an aero frame.
If you want to be aero get a TT bike, an aero body position trumps all other aero gains.
A climbing bike with Clip on TT bars is more aero than an Aero bike without (most aero bikes can't take clip ons)
A climbing bike with deep aero wheels is more aero than an aero bike with shallow wheels

If you generally ride in a group and often ride in hills, then get a climbing bike.... it is pretty easy to maintain position drafting in a group, and aero bike vs non aero bike makes little difference..... however, hit the hills and a stiff light bike will climb sligtly better than a heavier aero bike, for me we are talking 30-40s over a 500m climb @ 300w (70kg) If I ride my sub 6kg Cervelo R5ca compared to my 7kg Canyon Ultimate

Personally I go with a light weight bike or TT bike. I love the way a true light weight bike handles and feels. If I am riding solo and in the mood, a TT bike is hard to beat, it has a feeling of effortless speed.

With aero bikes getting lighter and light weight bikes getting aero, the difference in the real world is becoming negligeable
Quote Reply
Re: Road Race bikes - Full Aero vs Semi Aero/lightweight [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats was my reason for mentioning things like bar width etc. Many of the bikes these days are pretty integrated, I was interested in a deal on the current Venge, but to get my fit would require a change of stem/bars and cranks, which makes and already expensive bike even more expensive. Sticking with the stock kit I might lose out in the end over my current less aero road bike with narrower bars, shorter cranks.

I quite like the idea of Treks project one for this reason, while I woukd be happy with stock colour options the ability to select parts to get an optimum fit may produce better aero results than perhaps found between the latest alrounder bikes and the lastest aero bikes.
Quote Reply