Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike?
Quote | Reply
OK. As should be fairly obvious from the title of this post, I'm not a big roadie. However, I was going over my road bike fit last night seeing how it compared to the "known norms" that Dan presented in his Road Bike Fit articles...

Saddle Setback: 9% of saddle height

Handlebar Elevation (drop): 11% of saddle height

Saddle-to-Hood Trough: (0.72)(rider height) - (0.78)(saddle height)

Cockpit Distance: 75% of saddle height (This one is not a "known norm", just a starting point.)

I'm 188cm tall, have an 82.55" saddle height (Yes, really.), and currently own a 58cm Cannondale CAAD8.

To hit the Saddle Setback, I had to slide my saddle back ~6mm. (It was set using the old KOPS method.) So, not much change there.

However, even with a mid/tall headset top cap and 5mm spacer under a 90mm/6* stem (angled up), my Handlebar Elevation (drop) is still way too much (~7cm), my Saddle-to-Trough is too long (can't remember the exact number right now, but ~4cm, I believe). Strangely, though, my Cockpit Distance is a little short (~2cm).

The Saddle-to-Trough and Cockpit Distance don't concern me *too* much. I believe those could be worked out (or at least gotten much closer) with a shorter reach bar and/or different stem. The Handlebar Elevation does concern me, though.

Is the headtube on a CAAD8 really that low? Would I be better off on a different, more endurance-oriented frame with a longer headtube (like a Roubaix, for example)?

I also thought about the possibility that the 58cm frame is too small. But the short-ish 90mm stem length and too long Saddle-to-Trough don't seem to support that (unless the CAAD8 is just a long frame to begin with).

Any input?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mickstar,

There are two versions of the Caad8. There is an older version which is the precursor to the caad9/10 racing geometry bikes. There is also a Caad8 which was meant to bridge the gap between the alloy synapse and caad9. Which do you have?

your saddle height is 82.55(cm?) and your drop is 7cm(or is it 16cm)?

I think as Dan's article points out, those are pretty general guidelines. You sound like a pretty tall(if nothing else, leggy) dude, maybe his formula just isn't for you...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan's formula doesn't work for me, but my road bike fits like butter. I'm sure if I set it up with his protocol I could adapt, but the beauty of road bikes is how much we can change our hip angle with arm extension/bend. When I looked at Dan's formula a while ago it would have me way too cramped up on the order of about 3cm for my default hood position and the drop would be over 2x what I have. On a tt rig we are more or less set once we put our elbows in the cups. With a roadie we can expand/retract our arms on a moments notice to effect any number of reach/hip angle configs.

Are you uncomfortable?
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 4, 12 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
Hey Mickstar,

There are two versions of the Caad8. There is an older version which is the precursor to the caad9/10 racing geometry bikes. There is also a Caad8 which was meant to bridge the gap between the alloy synapse and caad9. Which do you have?

your saddle height is 82.55(cm?) and your drop is 7cm(or is it 16cm)?

I think as Dan's article points out, those are pretty general guidelines. You sound like a pretty tall(if nothing else, leggy) dude, maybe his formula just isn't for you...

I'm not sure of the year, but it's this (exact) bike... http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nnondale%20;#3349853

Yes. Saddle height is 82.5cm. Drop is 16cm.

If I could get the drop into the 9cm range, that would also shorten the saddle-to-trough distance. But you may be right. The formula may just not work for me.

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
When I looked at Dan's formula a while ago it would have me way too cramped up on the order of about 3cm for my default hood position and the drop would be over 2x what I have.

Are you uncomfortable?

So you ride LESS drop than it would have you ride? That blows my mind.

Hard to tell about the comfort. I don't ride it all that much, so I usually attribute any discomfort to unfamiliarity with the position. What I will say is that I don't have a lot of bend in my elbows - especially in the drops.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup I prefer to get my reach by reaching, not so much with drop. I only have 4cm of drop, but a lot of reach. Allows me to hit all 3 positions easily, but I also have to ride a longer stem with the increased stack gradually reducing the reach.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 4, 12 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, so yeah your bike has the racier Caad10 type geometry. Stack is 57.9, reach is 39.9. Which I'm thinking if you reviewed all 58cm road bikes, is race oriented but not necessarily super long/low. For example, Felt(really long/low) 58 has a stack and reach of 569, 412; and Trek Madone H2(medium/high) is 596, 391.

I'd say Dan's formula would tend to underestimate drop of taller riders if I had to wager a guess. Most bike riders(and people in general) I see tend to be 5'10ish and so a drop for them of 8cm would be pretty reasonable. You are right though, that likely your reach is probably about right if not short, but your drop probably exaggerates it.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Fitting: Is the CAAD8 a long/low bike? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm not super concerned about it. For me, the road bike is really just a tool - and not one that gets used a ton. I mostly just found it interesting that my drop was so far off of the "known norms".

In addition to long legs, I also have a pretty high "ape factor" (long arms) and am fairly flexible. That probably helps with being able to handle more drop, as well.

Were I buying a new road bike today, I'd probably give something with a longer headtube a serious look. But, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it (for now).

Steve

Quote Reply
Post deleted by tigerpaws [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 10, 12 9:57