Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike?
Quote | Reply
From what my parents told me, I was around 4 when I first rode without training wheels.

Isn't it a childhood rite of passage to learn how to ride a bike? Has that changed?

I ask because yesterday several of my 10-years old daughter's friends were over and one of them asked if they could use some of our bikes and all go riding. They couldn't, though, because one of the girls didn't know how to ride a bike! It's not that she isn't an athlete, she went to the Junior Olympics in gymnastics, she has just never learned how to ride a bike. Later I was talking with my kids at dinner about how surprised I was that her friend couldn't ride and both my son and daughter rattled off several names of other friends of theirs who couldn't ride bikes.

Does this shock you, or am I just assuming that every child gets a bike around 3 or 4 and takes the training wheels off around 4 or 5?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5. Schwinn Spitfire. Bought it from a neighbor for 50 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in third grade. Was one of the oldeast around to learn.

Don't know why, just never did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still haven't mastered it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less often in the cities.

But I think I was 4 or 5 when I got the training wheels taken off. Funny thing is that my first rides were with my dad in the front yard. I ran right into the only tree in the yard... Twice. But within a day I was tooling around, FLYING through the entire back yard. It was heaven.

At 10 though, I would be surprised if a child COULDN'T ride. That to me shows that not only have they never done it, but that their self-esteem is low enough that they lack the courage to try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was eight, I found a bike in the garbage. I remember it was orange, had no seat, it had solid tires, and it said "Sears" on it. That was a name I recognized and I thought it must be a good bike. It was all rusted and the chain had fallen off. I fixed it using some vice grips that I found and taught myself to ride it standing up with no training wheels. I remember being super determined to learn to ride that bike. I remember falling a lot. And every time I fell, it made me angry at the fact that I was eight years old and still didn't know how to ride a bike. When I was little I had zero quit in me. After what was probably a couple of hours, I got the hang of it. A few days later I was riding my bike and the neighbor who threw the bike away stopped me in front of his house and asked where I got the bike. I told him that I found it. I was afraid that he was going to recognize it and take it away from me. But instead, he told me to wait there and he went inside. I didn't know whether to stay and risk loosing my bike or get the heck out of there. As I was about to leave, I saw him come out with the seat. He smiled and handed it to me. I worked the seat with its rusty seat post into the seat tube and rode it home to tighten it. Soon after that, I found another bike and gave that orange Sears bike away. The kids in the neighborhood started bringing me their bikes to fix for them, mostly flats. I fixed most of them with a pair of vice grips, a screw driver, and car tube patches.

Thankfully, now a can afford to buy any bike I want and pay to have someone else fix them. I've come long way from those days. :)

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably close to 4. Maybe about 5 or so. I remember it was a sweet yellow BMX bike. Don't remember who made it. I rode with training wheels for a couple of months (I think) and then I was free and rode it EVERYWHERE. I had that bike for a while, then my parents tag-saled when I finally got a new bike that fit me... I wish I still had it though...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should better define "ride". Most triathletes don't really know how. I suspect you mean merely "remain upright"

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't remember when - but I was very young. Cannot ever remember NOT riding my bike. Both my kids started when they were 4 - training wheels off by 5th birthday deadline. My first bike was something like this except with a 3-foot sissy bar. Man I miss that bike. I should buy one. Bike riding was much more fun back then. Didn't care about saddle, pedals, shoes, knee angle, yada, yada, yada..... When did life get so complicated?

Quote Reply
Re: Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike? [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I did IMUSA there was a guy on a bike like that! Retroman - he did the swim in cutoff jeans shorts, then rode the bike in them - with Jack Purcell sneakers, and did the marathon in same.

Single speed Schwinn up through those Adirondack climbs! Thats a man!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike? [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, you had to have the tall sissy bar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my son's friends can't ride a bike either, and he is a 7-year-old. He learned when he was three, and I think I was about the same age. Most of the kids we know spend so much time inside or in "structured play" - there is no romping through the neighborhood on bikes anymore. The biggest rite of passage these days seems to be mastering the next level on some game-boy game...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 Years old, black Schwinn Typhoon cruiser, no training wheels, school parking lot.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Rite of passage: when did you learn to ride a bike? [FastMama27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- there is no romping through the neighborhood on bikes anymore.

Whn I was little (1970's) your were on your bike all day during the summer. Going to and from the pool / lake, out to the field to play baseball, back and forth to the park. In the evening, we'd turn on the lights and play "bicycle tag"

Oh, ... no helmets, no shoes, no GameBoys, no cell phones, no worries, no problems.
Quote Reply