Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rim brakes or Disc?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into getting a new road bike (S-works Tarmac) but what I'm struggling with at the moment is do I go with the current trend in cycling and buy a disc road bike? or Should I just buy a 2018 rim brake version? Advantages for the disc is obviously more stopping power, but the disadvantage is more weight and more expensive. People that I've spoken with seem to say that a rim brake road bike will feel more responsive/ accelerate quicker and is less expensive. This will be a dream bike build, so I don't want to make the wrong decision here. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look and simplicity of rim brakes. And they are lighter too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live in the past or be in the future is the way I look at it. How many speeds in the rear . . . 5? Or 11/12? 5 could be lighter, could be cheaper, and could work. Evidence seems to show that disc brakes are the future. My migration of my fleet is beginning. That's what I would do.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc.

Unless you also still watch a black & white television.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

+1

I built my dream bike last fall knowing that the trend may eventually make rim brake wheel choices more slim in the future but I can't see myself being happy whenever I have a little bit of brake rub and I need to do diagnostics or take it to the shop.

Plus, I'm an amateur, I don't need to be Nibali on descents, I can just be faster on everything else

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just bought my second disc road bike, the questions you should ask yourself are do you ride in all weathers? do you ride in an area that requires you to brake for prolonged periods? If so do you want to ride carbon rimmed wheels? How long do you intend to keep the bike for and make a guess over resale value?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think disc or nothing.
Now, I think tt depends on your usage of the bike though.
A lot of people are riding their road bikes on rougher, possibly muddier roads, light trails, etc. If that is you, a disc brake might be a better option.
If you stick to nice pavement and race crits, you are losing nothing with rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is a dream bike, and unless you have a specific reason for rim brakes, then disc is a no-brainer. That is the future. When you are around to other dream builds, they will almost always be disc. If you ride down a major incline, you will wish you had disc. You will be able to have light and awesome full carbon wheels without sacrifice (offsets a lot of the weight & aero of disc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I'm looking into getting a new road bike (S-works Tarmac) but what I'm struggling with at the moment is do I go with the current trend in cycling and buy a disc road bike? or Should I just buy a 2018 rim brake version? Advantages for the disc is obviously more stopping power, but the disadvantage is more weight and more expensive. People that I've spoken with seem to say that a rim brake road bike will feel more responsive/ accelerate quicker and is less expensive. This will be a dream bike build, so I don't want to make the wrong decision here. Thanks.

Pretty sure brakes have approximately zero* effect on acceleration, just saying. Of course cost, modulation, etc are still valid concerns, and you could even say a better brakeset will allow you to carry more speed into a braking situation because they'll still enable you to decelerate more effectively ~ but if your brakes are doing anything more than your headtube badge during acceleration then something is definitely wrong...

(*yeah, I know different designs will weigh more/less and present slightly more/less wind drag, which is why I said 'approximately')
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: May 9, 19 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saying that "people" say road bikes with disc brakes feel sluggish compared to rim brake.

There's also this from GCN: "The question is: Are disc brakes faster than caliper brakes on a road bike?
Short Answer: No, disc brakes are not faster than caliper brakes.
In fact, in dry conditions rim brakes let you ride faster -- about 24 seconds faster on a 22-mile loop of constant climbing and descending. In wet conditions, the data also concludes that caliper brakes are faster -- by about 4 seconds over the same loop."
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Primary usage would be Road Races and Crits. I'm using the cross bike for anything off road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of weather are you riding it in? How steep are the descents? Are they very technical? Have you been satisfied riding everything you ride now with rim brakes? Or do you feel like you need more stopping power? Do you really want to ride full carbon rims or would you be happy with aluminum rims like Hed black?

There are really valid reasons for going with either rim or disc. Anyone who says otherwise isn’t worth listening to. It just depends a lot on how you want to use the bike, your riding style and preference, your skills, etc.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: May 9, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it when GCN does "Science"

The only other thing I'll add is that the additional weight and aero penalty isn't worth obsessing over and as someone stated, if you plan to take this dream build off-road or on long rides in wet weather, then yes, go disc, its worth the maintenance. Myself, I have a gravel bike that doubles as my commuter so when it gets wet or I go off-road I have that to turn to while I keep my S3 dream build on the tarmac and for road racing.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

+1

I built my dream bike last fall knowing that the trend may eventually make rim brake wheel choices more slim in the future but I can't see myself being happy whenever I have a little bit of brake rub and I need to do diagnostics or take it to the shop.

Plus, I'm an amateur, I don't need to be Nibali on descents, I can just be faster on everything else

I had a Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod disc and always had brake rub issues, so on my next build (Canyon Aeroad) I went back to rim brakes = no rub. I live in SoCal so in general, wet weather is not an issue and I have a CX/gravel disc bike that I could ride if that was an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the process of building a rim brake Sworks Tarmac SL6. How fast do you really need to stop? They just have to keep coming up with something new to keep people buying bikes. Rim brake to me looks much better also. I am not one that has to jump on the band wagon like most do. I think most pros if given a choice would ride rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
I think this is a tough choice at the moment. Disc brakes stop better in the rain. But, they are still too heavy and the maintenance sucks. I expect them to get a lot better over the next few years, so one idea is to simply wait before diving in. (That's my plan.) That said, if you really need a new bike right now: if your riding is primarily on flattish roads, and particularly if you ride a lot in the wet, I say disc brakes, but if you want a dream climbing bike, I say rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I bought a S-Works Tarmac with rim brakes. If you ride in the rain Disc brakes would be better. For me I have never needed a stronger brake. Either bike would awesome love the Tarmac.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no right answer. There is an element of coke vs pepsi about the discussion. But there are other factors too:-
I'm a powerful taller and slightly heavier rider than som others, so for me rub from rim brakes was a constant factor - especially on pricier / lighter wheels. Both climbing and accelerating in crits. Sure, occasionally after I've had the wheel out for a puncture then I get some disk rub, but nothing major and next cafe / traffic light stop I give the axle a tighten and it goes.*

I have avoided buying a new Tri bike as I want to be able to share wheels with the road bike, and until this year there wasn't anything tri disk brake that met my needs.

Reality is that now you have choices when you buy. Often 'old' models are rim, and so cheaper/higher spec than disk versions. So there's a great choice. For me, it's not really the braking that pushed me to the disk for the road bike, but the package that was offered and the reduced brake rub when putting down the power. Differential in weight is an irrelevancy for my 85kg and selection of roadbike. For others I can see this being a significant factor, so fair play to them.

*Ok, after first few weeks of rides then the front I needed to recentre - loosen the bolts slightly, grab the brake lever, hold whilst tightening bolts, then release - brake now centred and no more rubbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Sworks Tarmac disc and there are some practical reasons why I prefer discs:

1. You can get the brake levers closer to your hand when in the drops as the throw is way less than rim brakes. Great if you have small hands like me.
2. You get the same braking power but with less pressure on the lever - nice to be able to perform an emergency stop with 1 finger as it means you don't have to change your hand position to get full brake power
3. The thru axles increase the rigidity at the hub and result in noticeably more predictable and stable handling through the corners
4. Your expensive carbon rims don't wear out
5. I no longer have any concern about my wheels delaminating during prolonged braking on long descents

I built up a tarmac disk using pretty standard parts and it came out at 6.9kg with pedals, cages and garmin mount so weight isn't an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
Just saying that "people" say road bikes with disc brakes feel sluggish compared to rim brake.

There's also this from GCN: "The question is: Are disc brakes faster than caliper brakes on a road bike?
Short Answer: No, disc brakes are not faster than caliper brakes.
In fact, in dry conditions rim brakes let you ride faster -- about 24 seconds faster on a 22-mile loop of constant climbing and descending. In wet conditions, the data also concludes that caliper brakes are faster -- by about 4 seconds over the same loop."

I realize the joke is lost when one has to resort to explaining it, but... Sure, a disc brake could be faster overall because it enables you to brake later and/or less, but it's oxymoronic that any braking device could help you "accelerate" faster...

*sigh*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Sure, a disc brake could be faster overall because it enables you to brake later and/or less, but it's oxymoronic that any braking device could help you "accelerate" faster...

*sigh*

Umm, not really, as the rotational weight of the disk is closer to the axle than the rim is, and so the power required to spin up the wheel during acceleration is less. There's a question of specific physics as to if the added total weight of the disk brake overrides that of the reduced rotational inertia, but there is physics to support that a braking system that is close to axle offers less impediment ot acceleration than a rim mounted system. Accepting this benefit only applies to disk specific wheels with no braking rims. And then of course the bike industry seems to have shot itself in the foot by simultaneously going to tubeless which adds a load of weight back out on the outer periphery of the wheel through thicker tyres, beads, thicker / wider rim tape and filling the tyre with liquid.

So for clarity I'm, all about the progress on disk brakes, but think seatposts should never have stopped being be alu/ti, call foul over 1x gearing on MTB or road, and wish we had just stopped life at mechanical 10sp ultegra shifting..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc hands down. You'll regret going rim on a brand new bike purchase,

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
and the maintenance sucks.

This is just one comment I just don’t understand. Personally I think maintenance on disc brakes is so much easier than cantis. I used 2 sets of wheels and they interchange with no needed adjustments. Yea, I may get a ting ting during a ride for a few seconds here or there....no big deal. I get a chuckle out of canti users if it’s even damp out , their brakes just suck. Heck with discs, you really almost never even need to bleed them. 99.9 % of the time you can just tap the lines to push any air to the top and fill the fluid.....doing front and back takes all of under 5 minutes.
Maintenance is really just brake pad changes and even that is easier than wth cantis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Pretty sure brakes have approximately zero* effect on acceleration, just saying.

A brake pad rubbing against your rim sure does...
Quote Reply
Re: Rim brakes or Disc? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
KONO wrote:
and the maintenance sucks.

This is just one comment I just don’t understand. Personally I think maintenance on disc brakes is so much easier than cantis. I used 2 sets of wheels and they interchange with no needed adjustments. Yea, I may get a ting ting during a ride for a few seconds here or there....no big deal. I get a chuckle out of canti users if it’s even damp out , their brakes just suck. Heck with discs, you really almost never even need to bleed them. 99.9 % of the time you can just tap the lines to push any air to the top and fill the fluid.....doing front and back takes all of under 5 minutes.
Maintenance is really just brake pad changes and even that is easier than wth cantis.
We're talking road bikes. It's not discs vs cantis (which also suck). It's discs vs road rim calipers, and I just don't think there's any comparison on the maintenance front.
Quote Reply

Prev Next