Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Right Calf Cramps
Quote | Reply
So my right calf (and only the right one) has been cramping. It will either cramp up during hard intervals, or will slightly cramp on the bike (more like a discomfort). I stay fueled and hydrated with NUUN and because its only 1 calf i think its to a nutrition thing i also stretch daily and after the calf cramps up during training (i am then able to continue)

Any possibilities or ways that i can attempt to alleviate this?

----------------
Hunter Reed

Quote Reply
Re: Right Calf Cramps [har5a] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also had problems with my right calf cramping. All the usual suspects were not the cause. (Nutrition, hydration, electrolytes, stretching...) My cramps would come during swimming or really hard intervals on the bike.

I was able to kick the cramp with with Tonic Water of all things, apparently the quinine helps with cramps.

Placebo, urban legend, wives tale, sugar pill...maybe the case but my craps went away & tonic water is the cheapest supplement you can buy ;-)

For the record I still seems to work with a little gin or vodka from time to time...

Good luck,

Travis
dumb focus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've battled similar issues with both calfs from time-to-time. My only advise is that you really need to maintain a recovery plan (i.e. strectching, nutrition, water).

I've been told the following could contribute to it:

1. Tight hamstrings = stretching

2. Use a foam roller or the stick to rub out knots.

3. Hydration

4. Bike pedal position? Saddle too high puts more strain on the calf???

5. Swim workouts which incorporate a lot of kicking and/or use of fins for weaker kickers???

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Re: Right Calf Cramps [usctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've battled similar issues with both calfs from time-to-time. My only advise is that you really need to maintain a recovery plan (i.e. strectching, nutrition, water).

I've been told the following could contribute to it:

1. Tight hamstrings = stretching

2. Use a foam roller or the stick to rub out knots.

3. Hydration

4. Bike pedal position? Saddle too high puts more strain on the calf???

5. Swim workouts which incorporate a lot of kicking and/or use of fins for weaker kickers???

As far as #4, I thought a saddle too low put more strain on achilles tendon and calf than to high a saddle? Can anyone give any input here?
Quote Reply
Re: Right Calf Cramps [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread brings up a relevant question:

Does putting the cleat further back on the bike shoe reduce the stress on the calves? Could this alleviate cramp problems coming off the bike onto the run?

Is power lost on the bike as well when you do this?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So my right calf (and only the right one) has been cramping. It will either cramp up during hard intervals, or will slightly cramp on the bike (more like a discomfort). I stay fueled and hydrated with NUUN and because its only 1 calf i think its to a nutrition thing i also stretch daily and after the calf cramps up during training (i am then able to continue)

Any possibilities or ways that i can attempt to alleviate this?
I had an occurrence of this recently; I couldn't run across the street. At its worst, when walking, I had to stop every 75 feet or so and massage and stretch out the cramp. I had already stopped running. Then, I stopped eating spinach ,(like Popeye, I had been eating a lot, every day) started taking calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplements, and drank tonic water. The symptoms went away in a couple of days, whereas until I did these three things, (I don't know which actions would have been most effective done on their own) my symptoms were just getting worse over a period of several weeks. Oxalic acid inhibiting mineral absorption may have been the culprit in my case. Do you eat a lot of spinach, rhubarb, or chard?

This is from Wikipedia:

Physiological effects

The affinity of divalent metal ions is sometimes reflected in their tendency to form insoluble precipitates. Thus in the body, oxalic acid also combines with metals ions such as Ca2+, Fe2+, and Mg2+ to deposit crystals of the corresponding oxalates, which irritate the gut and kidneys. Because it binds vital nutrients such as calcium, long-term consumption of foods high in oxalic acid can be problematic. Healthy individuals can safely consume such foods in moderation, but those with kidney disorders, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of chronic vulvar pain (vulvodynia) are typically advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid or oxalates. The calcium oxalate precipitate (better known as kidney stones) obstruct the kidney tubules. Conversely, calcium supplements taken along with foods high in oxalic acid can cause calcium oxalate to precipitate out in the gut and drastically reduce the levels of oxalate absorbed by the body (by 97% in some cases.)[9][10]

Oxalic acid can also be produced by the metabolism of ethylene glycol ("antifreeze"), glyoxylic acid or ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Under certain conditions of concentration and pH, oxalic acid can precipitate in the kidneys as calcium oxalate crystals, forming an estimated 80% of kidney stones.[11]

Some Aspergillus species produce oxalic acid, which reacts with blood or tissue calcium to precipitate calcium oxalate.[12] There is some preliminary evidence that the administration of probiotics can affect oxalic acid excretion rates[13] (and presumably oxalic acid levels as well.)

Methods to reduce the oxalate content in food are of current interest.[14]

Quote Reply
Re: Right Calf Cramps [Axles of Evil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not eat a lot of spinach, but i am going to get some Tonic Water later today and try that out. I guess trying some of those calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplements wouldn't hurt as well. I am still able to "do" my workouts, hopefully i will be back at 100% soon. Thanks guys.

----------------
Hunter Reed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Har5a and All,

I have noticed that dark chocolate (I was eating a couple of large squares as an antioxidant) and walnuts would cause cramping for me after hard work outs.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Right Calf Cramps [SeattleTK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've also had problems with my right calf cramping. All the usual suspects were not the cause. (Nutrition, hydration, electrolytes, stretching...) My cramps would come during swimming or really hard intervals on the bike.

I was able to kick the cramp with with Tonic Water of all things, apparently the quinine helps with cramps.

Placebo, urban legend, wives tale, sugar pill...maybe the case but my craps went away & tonic water is the cheapest supplement you can buy ;-)

For the record I still seems to work with a little gin or vodka from time to time...

Good luck,

Travis
dumb focus
How much tonic water did you drink daily?

----------------
Hunter Reed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much tonic water did you drink daily?

If I buy it via a six pack of cans I'll drink a can a day, normally I try to drink it at least a few hours before an evening swim workout or the night before a morning swim workout.

If I end up with liter bottles of it I think I drink about 8 oz.

I've found drinking it on swim workout days only gets the job done for me.

Good luck,

Travis
dumb blog

Quote Reply