Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Tarboro, NC
Quote | Reply
I'm considering moving to the Tarboro, NC area. It's flat and pretty sparsely populated. Doesn't look like the roads have much in the way of shoulders.

Can anyone provide a little insight on the road riding scene near Tarboro?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Tarboro, NC [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tarboro is a very very small eastern NC town. You can get out on "country" roads pretty easily out there and probaly ride as much as you want towards Rocky Mount (where I grew up at and my mother still lives), Greenville (ECU is there) about 40 miles away.

It's a small town, they love their Tarboro high school football. They have one of the best football programs in NC.

You'll be able to get outside of town and ride whereever you want. None of those roads will have shoulders but it'll be country roads with low density traffic.

I can send you some info to link up with Rocky Mount cycling group (15 miles away) and Wilson cycling group (20ish miles away). There is also a yearly double century ride out near Goldsboro, NC that is pretty fun. It's non sanctioned but they do a 50 mile loop, broken down into 50/100/150/200mi options. Some of the "vets" yearly do the 200mi option. They may have 2 different loops, I cant remember havent ridden it in a few years.

ETA: In terms of the actual scene, if there is 2 guys riding in Tarboro I'd be shocked. Wilson has a better riding scene, Rocky Mount has a few different groups, one of my juniors rides with one of the groups. It's 1 hour from Raleigh. Good area, Rocky Mount is the "city" while Tarboro is sorta the small "town" part of Nash/Edgecombe county.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 19, 18 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty close by......in Greenville. Plenty of country roads around here that are fine for cycling though kinda boring. Very little terrain and lots of cotton and tobacco fields to pass by. We have a good tri scene in Greenville you can always link up with. The Tricredibles are a fun tri group and EC Velo is your group for all things cycling related.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I'm considering moving to the Tarboro, NC area. It's flat and pretty sparsely populated. Doesn't look like the roads have much in the way of shoulders.

Can anyone provide a little insight on the road riding scene near Tarboro?

Thanks

There’s a slow but larger group out of Clayton that even rotates SAG support duty. Never tried it due to the pace.

Wake Forest has an A ot A+ option when daylight is good. The Spoke Cycle ride. Team on Draft is Tue/Thu in Raleigh. Wake being an hour from Tarboro.

I work in Clayton and often ride eastward when weather permits.

You may be a bit lonely in terms of larger groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tha for the responses, ya'll. Pretty much what I expected. I'll follow up if I decide to move.
Quote Reply