Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry?
Quote | Reply
I can sit up on the road bike rather comfortably and have a GU or a drink ,etc.

But when it comes to the TT bike, I can't sit up without the shakes and this fear of losing control, so i grab back on the bars.

Is it me or is there a difference in feel; riding no hands TT vs road geometry? Maybe I just need more practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need more practice, but it is harder on a tri bike due to less weight on the back wheel and more on the front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a problem on the road bike. Never even dared to attempt it on the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You need more practice, but it is harder on a tri bike due to less weight on the back wheel and more on the front
That makes sense, I never realized what a difference the angle makes in handling this way!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it is harder on a tri bike due to less weight on the back wheel and more on the front"

Meaning, the bike is built wrong for your position on it. You need a bike that will be balanced to your position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand its really easy to run a Tri bike in to the transition area with one hand on the seat and be waving the other hand to all the really hot babes watching you (but don't try this with a road bike or you will wind up in the medical tent). Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your tri bike is well designed then it should be just as capable of riding no-hands as your road bike. The issue is that many tri bikes are not designed well. I never could do it on my old Cervelo because the bike was not really designed well to ride steep. My old Scott Waimea was the same.
I've borrowed a couple of Cervelos since then and they have not changed. I rode them very fast, but man, the handling was sketchy when you push the saddle nose much past the center of the BB.
This is probably a personal issue because of my proportions, but it has been consistent for me. The answer was a Yaqui built by Ves Mandaric. I've tried a few bikes since I bought it three years ago and none of them compare with it for nice, predictible handling.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Dev said. You can adjust somewhat by pushing to the rearmost part of the saddle before sitting up and releasing the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The issue is that many tri bikes are not designed well."

Depends what they should be designed for. If it is for no-hands riding I would have to agree with you that most triathlon/tt specific frames are very poorly designed. Luckily, being able to perform circus tricks is not very high on my list when selecting a TT frame.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"being able to perform circus tricks is not very high on my list when selecting a TT frame."

Was thinking that myself. Why would anybody want to ride no hands in the middle of a tri or TT.

Of course some of the old big frame 650c bikes did look like circus bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Was thinking that myself. Why would anybody want to ride no hands in the middle of a tri or TT.

well, off the top of my head:

- taking off/putting on your jersey
- opening a clif/power bar
- opening a water bottle containing concentrate so you can pour it in the one containing just water you just grabbed at the aid station

not to mention that if a bike handles well no-handed odds are it will handle predictably in crappy conditions (off camber downhill turns etc.). Personally I can go no-handed on my road bike for as long as I want, but I wouldn't try any of the above on my p2k as it's wayyy too squirrelly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when you win A race don't you throw your hands in the air ?

well I guess not on your tri bike ;-)

dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your weight is typically too far forward on a tri bike for it to be stable riding no-hands.

The fix is - slide back on the saddle, and sit WAY up, I even arch my back somewhat to get my COG even futher back.

Then you can ride your tri bike no-hands just as well as yer roadie.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COG = fat ass ?

that is why it works for me I guess

dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Who said in the middle of a tri or TT? Maybe just a nice training ride, ride with my buddies?

I can ride no handed on my P3 when it's on the computrainer ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur with Chad. I have a custom Yaqui from Ves and can ride no handed all day long.... never had a worry taking my hands off the bars. It is funny when my riding partners look at me like I'm crazy when I'm stripping off my clothing, including knee warmers, without missing a beat on a group ride. If I couldn't take my hands off the bars with confidence, I'd find myself another bike.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Luckily, being able to perform circus tricks is not very high on my list when selecting a TT frame."

And apparently neither is proper weight balance on the bike. Being able to ride no-handed is simply the RESULT of a properly designed bike, not the goal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this year's CA 70.3, for about the first 1/2 mile out of T1 I heard a strange sound coming from the rear of my bike. I thought maybe something got wedged in between the brake caliper and the tire and was rubbing. When I looked back toward the rear wheel, it finally dawned on my that I had forgotten to put my race belt on; it was still hanging from my seat post and my race number was rubbing the rear wheel. I promptly unbuckled the belt with one hand, sat up, rode with no hands, and put my belt on. I was glad that I had practiced riding with no hands because you just never know when you're going to need that skill.

As a side note, that was on my Dual with the saddle all the way forward on the rails. I now have a P3SL with the saddle all the way forward and it too is very stable sans hands.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Andy said, I can ride my Guru no handed as long as I want to, circles, corners, no problem. I do find it harder to do track stands though - but that could be due to advancing age...

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/code][code]there are two factors at play
1. tri bikes that are poorly set up. they are not fit to a person- but to a style-looks fast may not actually be fast.
2. Poor bike handling skills. I am regularly amazed out how nervous and sketchy some folks are on bikes.

I feel that eveyone should spend a year or 2 on mountain bike on single track before heading out onto the road.[code]
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard this before, but can't see how it would make any difference. From a structural standpoint, the weight you put on the saddle -anywhere on the saddle - is ultimately transferred to the frame through the seatpost. It doesn't matter where on the saddle your butt sits, your weight is still being delivered to the frame in exactly the same place it was before and therefore distributed to the front/back wheel in the same proportion it was before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Was thinking that myself. Why would anybody want to ride no hands in the middle of a tri or TT."

Do you have any idea how aero you can get if you put your hands behind your back?

The geometry of TT bikes is such that the weight is further forward to let the user get more power out. Handling will be worse than on a road bike, it has nothing to do with how well the frame is designed. It's worth noting that some frames are more stable than others though.

It's also my impression that the forks on TT bikes are more vertical and thus less stable. I could be completely wrong on this one though!
Last edited by: zebragonzo: Sep 1, 07 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: Riding NO HANDS, tt vs road geometry? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"From a structural standpoint, the weight you put on the saddle -anywhere on the saddle - is ultimately transferred to the frame through the seatpost"

It's not about structural stress on the bike, it's about center of gravity. Your weight is farther back.

"Can’t I just start alone? I don’t need a team. All I need is a mechanic and a car!"-Jens Voight http://velonews.competitor.com/...lgem-and-more_108891 "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Kuota Kalibur is very steady riding no-handed. I use that all the time in tris, especially longer ones like HIM or IM. My P2K was pretty twitchy, but the Kalibur is rock steady.

Spot

Quote | Reply
[reply]If your tri bike is well designed then it should be just as capable of riding no-hands as your road bike. The issue is that many tri bikes are not designed well. I never could do it on my old Cervelo because the bike was not really designed well to ride steep. My old Scott Waimea was the same.
I've borrowed a couple of Cervelos since then and they have not changed. I rode them very fast, but man, the handling was sketchy when you push the saddle nose much past the center of the BB.
This is probably a personal issue because of my proportions, but it has been consistent for me. The answer was a Yaqui built by Ves Mandaric. I've tried a few bikes since I bought it three years ago and none of them compare with it for nice, predictible handling.
Chad[/reply]

Maybe you need more practice i can ride my p3c no handed without any problems and you can't ride any further forward then i do on it.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply

Prev Next