Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado
Quote | Reply
Visiting SD next week....bringing the bike. Who has a good route out of the Hotel parking lot for me?

If you have any thoughts for a decent ride, 20 - 30 miles out and back, they'd be much obliged!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucky you. I was stationed on Coranado Island in the early eighties. The hotel was beatiful. Unfortanetly my memories are alittle out of date to give good riding directions, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be too much traffic. The best riding I can think of would be on a military base, because of the traffic. And that's no help to you.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the traffic down there is normally pretty bad, unless you want to do loops around the island on the beach walk. I think the base is closed to pedestrian (bike) traffic too. I haven't been down to coronado in almost a year though. Might be better off driving over to misson bay.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an out and back flat trail right accross from the hotel parking lot, but as I recall it is only about 8-10 miles one way - if you go past the end you end up in a sketchy area. This was great for running, but a little short for a bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't yet done it, but there is a fairly quick out and back that goes down the Silver Strand towards Imperial Beach. Check out the bike course for the Imperial Beach Sprint Tri/Du that happens in August. That may give you good idea.

You can always head over to Fiesta Island and do the loops there. Also check out the UCSD Cycling Team's website. They provide some info on some great routes.

I just moved to SD so I'm trying to get a handle on things myself.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado [Airflo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions...will check it out.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend and I will sometimes ride from the Star of India (a boat/museum docked across the bay from Coronado), south, and then come back up the Silver Strand (the bike path) to the dock where we catch the ferry back across the bay. You could do the same from the hotel, heading south and then working your way back north to the dock. I don't know the mileage for just that portion of the trip (since we usually leave from our neighborhood), but I'm guessing it's around 30 miles.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is your email address?...I have a PDF to send of a route...

Trisha
Quote Reply
Re: Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you just want a workout, your best bet is to just ride up and down the island on the strand. You'll have to do several laps and it is all flat, but you don't have to stop much. Best bet for a workout.

You can take the ferry over to downtown, but any ride from there will have a lot of stops for traffic...I've done it but it isn't very efficient. Consider it more of a "touring" ride than a hammer-fest. Your best bet is to head past the airport and up Nimitz towards Mission Bay, and then up the coast. It can be tricky finding the best way with various bike lanes and paths. Best bet for a weekend with nothing better to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride out of Hotel Del Coronado [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a weekly wednesday night (6pm) group ride from Holland's Bicycles in "downtown" Coronado. You will need a headlight for that ride this time of year. Check out the San Diego Triathlon Club website at www.triclubsandiego.com to get more info on the ride. If you call Holland's they may have some more info on group rides for you.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply