Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rev3
Quote | Reply
Tried using the search. Just wondering how good Rev3 is. I saw that Rev3 is coming to Webster Ma not far from my house and the same lake I started the holy sport of triathlon on. So I really want to do it. What should I expect for an experience?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A great one, I think, they run events well. But the medal will be very ugly and over-sized!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done one of their races, and it was pretty good! Have friends who've done a bunch and they all have good things to say... well run and organized.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This just made my day, rev3 coming back to the Northeast!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Tried using the search. Just wondering how good Rev3 is. I saw that Rev3 is coming to Webster Ma not far from my house and the same lake I started the holy sport of triathlon on. So I really want to do it. What should I expect for an experience?

I would not support them in any manor.

They had some local trail races in my area a few years ago (bike and run on same day/trails) and completely destroyed the trails as they held the races after it had been raining for like 24 hours straight. Same race series but different year/location, they had some aid stations in the woods and didn't bother to clean up all the trash, I picked up like 15 plastic cups and various other items during a bike ride a few days after the race. I won one of the races and they gave me some expired Power Bars as a prize (minor complaint but still kind of lame).

I spectated the 70.3 they had in Venice, Florida and they didn't have anyone ready to stop traffic where the race turned left onto a 4 lane highway (55-65 mph speed limit), the lead riders were nearly hit and had to stop to wait for traffic to pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're good enough to sell at least 1 race to WTC (Quassy became Conn 70.3).

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought they put on a very professional event, actually a cut above IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the race! You will be pleased with the experience!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better than IM. I did their Williamsburg half iron a few years ago and it was fantastic! Water stations during packet pickup, volunteers verifying that the bike you were fiddling with was yours (that scandal where one racer deflated another racer's tires at another race had happened not long before). personalized thank you cards. Practice swims, stuff actually ran on schedule, and a great announcer. And my wife's favorite part, they had a food tent for the spectators! Yeah, the medal was atrocious, but whatever :D
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
They're good enough to sell at least 1 race to WTC (Quassy became Conn 70.3).

Also, Old Orchard Beach became IM ME70.3 and Williamsburg became IM VA70.3 (moved to Roanoke for 2020, thus Rev3 are coming back to Williamsburg).

I love Rev3 races. I love the focus on athlete experience. I love the swag. I love the more manageable number of people on course. I love the approachability of the staff and how eager they are to help. I love that they offer aquabike and relays and Athena/Clydesdale. I love that they encourage you to run whoever you damn well want to across the finish line with you. I've traveled from Maine to race Rev3 at Williamsburg twice, and I was incredibly sad when OOB, Quassy and W'burg were bought out by IM.

Personally, I'll be in Webster with bells on. I'm looking forward to heading back to the area - I raced the women's race there a couple of times under the Iron Girl moniker, and it's just a gorgeous place. I'm psyched to have Rev3 back in the northeast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss the old Rev3 Wis. Dells race. That was always fun and had a great bike course.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss Rev3 Cedar Point.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More choices, the better.

This new race is a tough time on the calendar, but I’m happy to see it.

Is Eric running this? I seem to recall he bought what was left of the brand. He’s a pro and puts on a great race for serious triathletes (see Quassy and OOB).
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the destroyed trails .... was that at Conway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the swim in Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:
Is the swim in Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg?

Yes I believe it is. I honestly am so excited for this race! The old Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg/Webster lake triathlon was my first tri many years ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Is Eric running this? I seem to recall he bought what was left of the brand. He’s a pro and puts on a great race for serious triathletes (see Quassy and OOB).

Yes, Eric is running it. There's a pretty active Facebook group going already. Seems a lot of people are pretty excited about this one.

... And swimming in Lake Chargogagaugmanchaugagougchubunagungamaug.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
A great one, I think, they run events well. But the medal will be very ugly and over-sized!

Sounds like me in my tri-suit 😂😂😂😂

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:

I’d do it just to have that lake name on a shirt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I miss Rev3 Cedar Point.
me too
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Better than IM. I did their Williamsburg half iron a few years ago and it was fantastic! Water stations during packet pickup, volunteers verifying that the bike you were fiddling with was yours (that scandal where one racer deflated another racer's tires at another race had happened not long before). personalized thank you cards. Practice swims, stuff actually ran on schedule, and a great announcer. And my wife's favorite part, they had a food tent for the spectators! Yeah, the medal was atrocious, but whatever :D

Agree. Same experience the food for everyone even spectators was a big plus. Very very well organized races.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
UK2ME wrote:

I’d do it just to have that lake name on a shirt!

So would I :)
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had a very bad experience with them and would never do a Rev 3 race again. At a Rev 3 Knoxville a few years back they totally screwed up the course markings, had many of the leaders of the Olympic race go off course on the bike and then tried to blame others for their mistakes. It got worse from there, really not good. Also same issue as mentioned below with intersections not manned and multiple train tracks at the bottom of steep hills not covered (a couple folks went down hard). I have never had an issue with another race like this and I really like to support grass roots racing outside the Mdot world but nothing about that experience and how it was handled would tell me to do one of their races again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rev3's heart and intentions are in the right place.

That being said, I would recommend going into any Rev3 event as a practice run for anything you actually intend to "race," and go in with the mindset to just work on your craft and not get frustrated with anything that may be lacking operationally with the event (such as lack of closed courses, less volunteer support, lack of competition in your AG, etc.).

I think the staff of Rev3 are wonderful people who do the best they can with the resources they have on a tight budget, and try to give their events a local/friendly feel.

That being said, I personally would never do another one of their events again after what I experienced at their Venice, FL race. This is my subjective opinion, however I never felt more unsafe on both a swim or bike course as I did during that event. Between the sparse and inattentive swim safety team, to lack of volunteers blocking off intersections/retail ingress/egress, etc., I found the experience more anxiety-provoking than fun.

On the positive front, because due to the small # of athletes in my age group, I automatically placed and thus got some sweet swag for awards (another medal, goggles, Powerbar product, etc.).

I think this is the third time Rev3 is trying to make a comeback, and hopefully they can put on a solid operation and get away from their past mistakes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next