Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Returning from Injury - 18 weeks to Ironman Canada - Possible?
Quote | Reply
So I injured my back and have had to take it very easy the past 3 months - limited cycling and no running, 1-2 swims/week (I'm a strong 60 min. IM swimmer). I have 18 weeks until Ironman Canada. I'm planning to start a 10-week base program next week Monday and will be off for summer break (I'm a teacher) for 8 weeks building to race day so plenty of time to get some specific long course work in. Should I train for the full and see how my body reacts or should I just completely give up the idea of the full and focus 100% attention instead on the half (same course, same day). I'm an experienced IM athlete w/ 4 Ironmans under my belt and a PB time of 10:50 and change. I'm 46 and recently PR'd at 70.3 distance (5:00) this past December so I have a solid foundation of fitness. My logical brain tells me to forget the full and just do the half and focus on staying healthy. My emotional brain tell me that I paid for the full so I may as well at least train for it, and adjust as needed. What do y'all think? My focus has shifted to a "just finish" mentality and I have no ambitions for a fast time. This could potentially be my last Ironman as my body is breaking down.
Quote Reply
Re: Returning from Injury - 18 weeks to Ironman Canada - Possible? [meronamkeithho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say absolutely yes!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Returning from Injury - 18 weeks to Ironman Canada - Possible? [meronamkeithho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By all means yes. you have time if you manage the injury well.

And on that note, 46 years old is pretty young for the body to be "breaking down". Spend some time getting assessed as to why that is (biomechanical eval, musculoskeletal exam, etc). You should be in your prime...although I don't know your medical history.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say go for it. 18 weeks for a gentle build in all sports sounds very possible coming off that base.
A good friend of mind had a horrendous back injury which involved a lengthy stay in hospital and very long layoff less than 6 months out.
He started back into things and had a well planned and executed build to race day and had a great race, probably slightly slower run than he would have initially wanted but given all that went on he was super happy (around 11 hours).
Quote Reply