Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Retrofitting my road bike (suggestions)
Quote | Reply
Well last night I lost the battle with the finance department (read-wife) so this years bonus will not be "blown" (her words, not mine) on a tri specific bike.

We compromised on allowing up to about $700 worth of upgrades to go into my current bike. I've only been doing triathlon for three seasons and when I bought my bike I had no idea if I would stick with it so I did not get a really expensive one. It's a Felt 75, all aluminum frame with carbon fork. Tiagra shifters & 105 derailures with aftermarket profile airstrike spring loaded aerobars. I've got a set of tri-spoke wheels already and upgraded to dura-ace pedals last year.

I'm really sick of the Air-strike aerobars and want to get either the Sytace C2's or Profile Carbon clip-on's. Any opinions on one or the other?

I'm thinking of also getting at least ultergra shifters too.

Just placed an order for an BP adjustible (3 position - front middle and read set-back) carbon seat-post.

Any other ideas??

Cheers, Karma

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Retrofitting my road bike (suggestions) [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karma ... i'd go with the Ultgra shifters (maybe rear derailure too) - go with the profile carbon stryke (very adjustable) ... and good call on the seatpost. I think you have it covered!

Good luck ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get by on way less than that $700, so you have room for a proper fitting (assuming you have someone qualified around you, or, post a pic and let the jackals here have at it!).

Check out the Hed clip ons, too.

Ultegra = good call. The deraileurs are probably just fine as S105. I wouldn't change anything else.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a positioned properly on a road bike, the full length clip-on aerobars are very likely too long - they put to too far forward. Better to go with the Profile Jammer bars. They are made for this very purpose - getting a reasonably aero position on a road bike without radical alteration of road positioning and bike balance.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote you save your money until next year's bonus, and buy a new tri bike then.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should blow your money on super expensive jerseys, designer helment, cool sunglasses, and skin care products.

After all -- It is more important to look good than to be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrofitting my road bike (suggestions) [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the Syntace C2s are very comfortable. With a road bike you'd probably want to go with the size small.

If you like the flip up thing on the Profiles and are accustomed to climbing with hands on your handlebars, you won't like the C2s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
       I'd go with the Syntace aerobar, size small for your road frame. I don't like the Profile Carbon Strike. My wife got it with her Kestrel TalonSL and could never get comfortable with it. I changed it to a Syntace and she loves it. I put the Carbon Strike on my road bike. I don't like it either. The extensions are too upright and too short without bar end shifters. A nice move if you want to change shifters would be to go with bar end shifters and regular brake levers on your road bars. Move up to Ultegra and go for Ultegra derailers; front and rear.

One more thing, don't move your seat up to far. Maybe 77 degrees. You don't want to mess up your handling. With your budget you might be able to fit a closeout Renn disc ($325). Check the Renn websight or maybe someone else will direct you to where they are being sold.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Jan 27, 05 1:38
Quote Reply
Re: Retrofitting my road bike (suggestions) [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FWIW, the Syntace C2s are very comfortable. With a road bike you'd probably want to go with the size small.

If you like the flip up thing on the Profiles and are accustomed to climbing with hands on your handlebars, you won't like the C2s.
AND the Syntace C2s are sexy....
Quote Reply
Re: Retrofitting my road bike (suggestions) [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the Syntace C2s are very comfortable. With a road bike you'd probably want to go with the size small. "

I'll agree with that 100%. I used Syntace C2 small size on my medium frame TCR road bike and they worked great. The C2's are still the standard for comfort.

Another good bar is the Profile Aerolite because it has a large degree of adjustability or any of the shorty aero bars if you're riding in a road/slam position.

Another suggestion for your budget is wheels - CH Aero disc cover for $60. and a Campy Shamal or Hed Jet 60 front off ebay for around a $100. or so.
Quote Reply