Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is very interesting and very useful. Thank you.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happens when your cleats wear out and need to be replaced?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I would like to know if you good 'guesstimate' the savings on an ironman leg 2.9 watts (lets say 3) and 4.8 watts. :)

For Rider #1, it would be approx 2.2 minutes @ 200 watts. Rider #2 would see almost 1.3 minutes at 200 watts.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello doublea334 and All,

Peel up the sole .... replace the cleat ...... re-glue the sole ..... ride faster ..... and faster ...... and faster ...... into the sunset ........

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had originally planned to call you for just that reason, but I just didn't have the time. Many of these tests I squeeze in after completing paid tests, so my track time and, therefore, how many things I can test, is limited.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Jim@EROsports and All,

Thanks, I appreciate that ...... please keep us in mind when you have an opening to squeeze in something.

We are located in Escondido. CA and can easily drive to Carson when you are testing there.

Also I would like to test my current bike rig (after I finish tinkering with it) ..... some time in the future ..... (and pay for the time).

I have a couple of goofy ideas that may or may not be legal for triathlon but I am curious as to how they would affect overall bicycle drag .... not considering yaw.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now think about P1 pedals!

Any reason why tested at such low speeds?
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe the test victims were not comfortable riding any faster. it's not like a tunnel where effort does not affect wind speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bad at math, so not going to derive anything, but in my experience n=3 is not going to give a reliable result anyway.

I appreciate the testing that has been posted here, but unless you are a Dave Zabriskie mannequin being towed behind a truck at 24.2 mph, it's not relevant over a 112 mile bike course with variables like hills, wind, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'm looking for consistency between runs. My experience has been both easy or hard paced efforts on this particular velodrome (long straightaways & tight corners) lend themselves to less consistency and fatigue. Both can alter the results. A moderate paced effort provides the consistency I'm looking for while giving us a better chance of repeating the results, which, as you can see, we achieved.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
I'm bad at math, so not going to derive anything, but in my experience n=3 is not going to give a reliable result anyway.

I appreciate the testing that has been posted here, but unless you are a Dave Zabriskie mannequin being towed behind a truck at 24.2 mph, it's not relevant over a 112 mile bike course with variables like hills, wind, etc.

??? 2+2=4, there's no getting around that. "Science; it works, bitches."

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
M----n wrote:

??? 2+2=4, there's no getting around that. "Science; it works, bitches."

Somebody hasn't been paying attention....we have "alternative facts" now.

"2+2= whatever we want. Period."

(Did I need the pink?)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like 1984 all over again in more ways than one!
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That McNulty is a fast kid! At 16, I finished 2nd to him at the 2015 San Dimas Stage Race (Cat 2 TT and GC). He dusted me in the opening climb up GMR by 49 seconds (15'04" to 15'53"). He told me his average was 6.1 w/kg for the 15+ minute effort! 16 years old!

Anyhow, Jim @ERO, I've been contemplating coming down to Carson, but I'm unsure how much benefit I will get do to the lack of adjustability on Speed Concept. I feel like the XL frame may be too big, which locks me into a certain position. Still worth it?

William Thomas
2017 California State Masters 40-44 and Elite 1/2 (Overall) State TT Champion
Exercise & Environmental Exercise Physiology- CSU-Fullerton
Owner-Ergogenic Sports Nutrition (ST15 for 15% discount)
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

Ignorance is bliss! :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [wthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wthomas wrote:
That McNulty is a fast kid! At 16, I finished 2nd to him at the 2015 San Dimas Stage Race (Cat 2 TT and GC). He dusted me in the opening climb up GMR by 49 seconds (15'04" to 15'53"). He told me his average was 6.1 w/kg for the 15+ minute effort! 16 years old!

Anyhow, Jim @ERO, I've been contemplating coming down to Carson, but I'm unsure how much benefit I will get do to the lack of adjustability on Speed Concept. I feel like the XL frame may be too big, which locks me into a certain position. Still worth it?

That's why we use a fit bike! No restriction of your position from equipment. What stem is on your SC now?

Edit: Brandon is crazy talented, but also a really good kid. I think his choice to stay mostly domestic this year was really smart, though he'll be in Europe quite a bit, too.

There are two names to watch right now for the US, one is Brandon, and the other is Chloe Dygert, who could do for women's road cycling what Julie Furtado did for mountain biking back in the 90's. If both stay focused, and injury/illness free, they're superstars.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Jan 26, 17 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Last year at VOS, I was 5th (Cat 2) despite averaging 426 watts for 30 minutes. Figured my drag coefficient needed some help.

Upon the advice of friends, I went to a long/low SC stem and pushed my extension is all the way forward. Switched from 172.5 to 165mm cranks. It feels good, but the arm rests wont let me go lower. However, since I'm somewhat stretched out, going to a smaller size SC would compromise the reach (even though I could get lower).

As for Brandon, I agree. Time's on his side and he'll get there. Pretty exciting to watch!

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news for you. You could have done that 30:16 with 100 less watts. Work Smarter not Harder.

wthomas wrote:

Last year at VOS, I was 5th (Cat 2) despite averaging 426 watts for 30 minutes. Figured my drag coefficient needed some help.

Upon the advice of friends, I went to a long/low SC stem and pushed my extension is all the way forward. Switched from 172.5 to 165mm cranks. It feels good, but the arm rests wont let me go lower. However, since I'm somewhat stretched out, going to a smaller size SC would compromise the reach (even though I could get lower).

As for Brandon, I agree. Time's on his side and he'll get there. Pretty exciting to watch!

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wthomas wrote:
It feels good, but the arm rests wont let me go lower. However, since I'm somewhat stretched out, going to a smaller size SC would compromise the reach (even though I could get lower).
If you have a gen 1 SC find yourself a set of the TriRig clamps.
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

rockdude wrote:
Good news for you. You could have done that 30:16 with 100 less watts. Work Smarter not Harder.

I agree. Other than fit, the effort itself was poorly paced. First time doing a TT on an actual TT bike...and the pacing feel was totally different. I was blowing up after about 18 minutes, hard to keep it much above 400. I've attached the WKO graph.

wthomas wrote:

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
wthomas wrote:
It feels good, but the arm rests wont let me go lower. However, since I'm somewhat stretched out, going to a smaller size SC would compromise the reach (even though I could get lower).

If you have a gen 1 SC find yourself a set of the TriRig clamps.

I have a Gen 2 version.

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try experimenting with some tilt. The way the riser works on the SC, the more you tilt the armrests the lower they become (to a small extent)
Quote Reply
Re: Results from Speedplay Zero Aero Test [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I'll keep this as short as possible. As the title suggests, we independently tested the Speedplay Zero Aero pedal against a standard Speedplay Zero pedal and did find a repeatable aero advantage....

Were the pedal spindles Ti, cromoly, or steel?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump. What type of pedal spindles on the different sets of pedals?

jens wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I'll keep this as short as possible. As the title suggests, we independently tested the Speedplay Zero Aero pedal against a standard Speedplay Zero pedal and did find a repeatable aero advantage....

Were the pedal spindles Ti, cromoly, or steel?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Feb 18, 17 17:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next