Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Restarting training plan for 70.3
Quote | Reply
As I often say, I'm new (never even tried a Tri) so I have beginner questions.

I had a training plan for Galveston, which I then changed to Augusta. The plan is a 16-week plan (18 weeks out now). So, I was considering restarting it (still no swimming but pool is planned to open June 1). However, as I look at the plan the biking/running volumes are, well, based on a beginner.

The plan is time/distance mix based.

I've kept my running and biking up over the last 8-10 weeks. For example, last week I did three bricks (47min/1hr, 1hr/45min and 80mins/55mins) and two runs of 75mins and 90mins for a total of 8 1/2 hours. I've tried to keep my training at above 8 hours when I was able and at least 5 hours. I haven't been doing any speed work, just trying to maintain my fitness.

The first week of the plan calls for two 40min rides, a 20 mile ride and 14 miles of running. The swimming is only two 800meter swims.

Frankly, that seems way to low for me to "start". Should I do something like skip the first 4 weeks and repeat weeks 5-8? I want to continue to progress in my fitness and not "maintain" (like I've been doing). I'm not injury prone (no injuries since starting back after 30 years of nothing in 2015).

I'm sure I'll get several thoughts on this, which is fine.

Appreciate any insight.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting training plan for 70.3 [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s all relative to your current fitness and background. If you’re a post collegiate runner, then yes it’s probably too low.

It’s better to start low and build.. but being brand new, you need to start somewhere so start low and evaluate.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you are following a generic plan to finish the race which is great. Just add little more time and keep it easy. If you are ever in doubt bike more hills. If you are looking to finish in a certain time then you need to break the swim, bike and run into sections, figure out the pacing strategy (power, speed, HR, etc..) and build towards sustaining those goals. The Augusta swim is a bit tricky to nail down though. I would say a 31 minute no current 1.2 miles will be more like a 24 minute Augusta 1.2 miles. The run is also hot so don't avoid the heat when you run in training.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting training plan for 70.3 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

It would be impossible for me to avoid the heat, as I live and train in west Houston :) We're already at heat indexes of 95+.

I'm not starting new, as I've been doing half marathons since 2016. Before starting the HIM training I was doing 40-50 mpw and as I switched to the HIM training for Galveston the last three weeks before it was cancelled I was doing 11-12 hours of training. The last few weeks I've been doing 8-10 hours with no swimming.

If I did the swim in less than 35 min I would be thrilled.

My goal is to finish by doing the swim/bike at @70% HR (I don't have power) and then see what I can do on the run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there something special about this plan? It seems that now the plan is not well suited for you. There are a lot of plans out there and you have time, why not switch to a plan that is more suited for your fitness and time allotment instead of trying to tweek the existing plan?

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting training plan for 70.3 [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
Is there something special about this plan? It seems that now the plan is not well suited for you. There are a lot of plans out there and you have time, why not switch to a plan that is more suited for your fitness and time allotment instead of trying to tweek the existing plan?

The special thing about this plan is it free :) I looked into paid plans and for the ones where there's no interaction with a coach, they didn't seem that much different. For the ones with some coaching input (something that someone somewhere would tweek based on my fitness and time) they were more than I wanted to pay for my first HIM. I contacted some of the ones that would tweak like this and they were somewhere in the $100/month or more. I can afford to pay it, but I just thought it was a bit much for what I felt I was paying for. I looked at the IM website and TrainingPeaks.

Is there something I missed? If there is I'd gladly take a look at options. Since I new, I may not be very good at searching for the right plan.

Thanks!

Quote Reply