Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resources for paint retouching on steel bike frames?
Quote | Reply
My beautiful IF steel frame has started to show bits of rust on a few areas of chipped paint, the dropouts, and the cable guides.

Two questions:
-can anyone point me to very good how-to web resources on minor paint repair and touch-up? Most of the sites I'm coming across aren't so great, and are either insufficient in detail, or deal with frames that are in advanced state of decay.

-the original paint (and my touchup kit) is a two-colour dealio: base coat is pure white, and finish coat is kind of pearly white. I'm finding most of the general touch-up advice is to apply around five coats or paint to the bare metal. My question: just one base coat, then four applications of pearl topcoat? two of one, three of another? None of the above? All of the above?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for paint retouching on steel bike frames? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s just like a car. Stop and ask a body shop if you want someone to do it for you.

If you do it: stop that rust. Sand it down and then you will have to primer when you are at bare metal. Then, sand primer smooth and apply your paint. Probably an air brush if it’s a small spot. Assuming it is base coat/ clear coat, you will need to airbrush on some clear coat over the paint as well.

Use auto body paint. Not rustoleum from the hardware store!
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for paint retouching on steel bike frames? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the bike to the nail polish counter at the beauty products store. Match it up with a nail polish color.

That's what I did when I got my Colnago. It matches perfectly!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply