Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resistance on Magnus M2
Quote | Reply
We are struggling with our smart trainer. It seems that the resistance is much more than it should be for the terrain. I am a decent rider, but I feel on flat roads going up hills and on downhills I can barely reach 19 mph because the resistance is so high. If nothing else I am getting really strong, but it is frustrating and already causes knee pain. Firmware is updated (saris), trainer always gets calibrated before a ride....what is going on? Bad trainer or bad legs? Your experience is very much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Resistance on Magnus M2 [triX2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you shift down more so speed is slower but no knee pain?
Quote Reply
Re: Resistance on Magnus M2 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one and resistance was always way too high. I've ridden lookout mountain in Colorado hundreds of times and, depending on fitness. I could always spin up at 75-80 rpm in a 39*23 in winter and 39*17 at peak summer. Rode the simulated gpx file (averaging 5.5%) indoors a few times and never managed more than a few mins before exhaustion. Impossibly hard to push the pedals. Felt about 20% grade
Complete joke

What definitely.helps is to use 23 mm tires at 110-120 psi. The clutch knob tends to press far too hard and the trainer doesn't calibrate properly for that. Ideally spin down time should be 5-10 s ( got this from saris customer support). Normally I was getting spin down of 0.2s.

Best to use high psi and back off the knob to get 5s spin down. As long as your tire doesn't slip you'll get better results.

From feel, about 40% trainer difficulty felt like real life. Changing gradient to about 2% felt similar to the 5.5% of lookout. Sold the trainer eventually as I just gave up on saris competence in producing firmware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an M2. I will agree actual wheel speed is low compared to on the road for the same effort. I don't really care about that, as I only ever use it with an app, Zwift or Bkool.
Quote Reply
Re: Resistance on Magnus M2 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, I can shift down, but speed really drops with it. IM is using ROUVY for racing..... lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Resistance on Magnus M2 [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Sounds so similar! Thank you! We are about to give up. Anytime I ride I feel like going uphill all the time, even on the downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Resistance on Magnus M2 [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I plan on racing the IM VR. Impossible, especially since I am competitive. I will kill my legs. Definitely a training tool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key is to set the speed down time to that 5s or so.

Found that the setup functioned well in erg mode. Change the difficulty setting to 20-40% in sim mode and pay no heed to wheel speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I could care less what my “mileage” or “speed” is on a trainer. I have a PM and know when I’m putting in good work. But if that “speed” matters to you, there’s another thread on here where one guy is averaging 22 MPH for the year. Maybe he’s super talented and that speed would translate into comparable road speed, I have no idea.... but he may have advice on how to set up a trainer to artificially “increase” your speed.
Quote Reply