Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing my TRP TTV Brakes on Focus Chrono
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

So I have recently bought a Focus Chrono and it has the TRP TTV Brakes which are really annoying to adjust. The front brake just doesn't have enough tension so it just doesn't pull on the cable enough so the arm goes back off the brake surface. The rear is fine however. I've tried for hours trying to fix the spring in the lever arm on the front brake but no luck.
My question is are there any other alternatives to use besides this Brand?

I found the same brand of my brake on Ebay but it is slightly different to mine but it is $180 AUD. Does anyone know if this would fit? Mine is slightly more rounded on the bottom whereas this brake is more pointy, similar to my rear brake. Please see the attached photo of my front brake
TRP- AERO FRONT BRAKE- MOD.TTV F-B (TTV06) - ONLY FOR TTV COMPATIBLE FRAME AND | eBay

Or could I use this model?
TRP CX9 Black Mini-V Brake CNC Front and Rear cyclocross Black | eBay

It's just been really bugging me as I want to take out this bike on the road but I'm just not confident in its braking ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my TRP TTV Brakes on Focus Chrono [MerschK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the compatibility.

But looking at the attached photos, the very 1st thing I would do is renew that front brake cable as it looks chewed up and won't help one bit m as it will be more 'springy' because of how it's chewed up amd may also bind in the noodle when you pull the brakes on. It would also give me zero confidence riding it as its going to snap at the least convenient time like maximum brake effort to avoid a car or going over a cliff edge !
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my TRP TTV Brakes on Focus Chrono [MerschK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TRP CX 9 brakes are a royal PIA because they need to be rebuilt very frequently. 12 months was the maximum I ever managed before a rebuild. The rebuild kit is cheap (https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/...JOmy2WxoCc3oQAvD_BwE) but its fiddly, time consuming and only necessary because the design is flawed. Plus the part that fails and needs to be replaces is critical to the brakes and its not something you want to be riding while its broke. Honestly its a garbage product.

Looking at your pictures there are two things I think you need to try. Firstly add spacers to the brake pads to bring they close to the wheel without adjusting the cables. It appears the pads are very far from the front wheel. Then the little screw in the brake is in a surprising position. I would expect it so be further in and this is why the brakes looked took far in a the bottom and too far apart at the top. This is part of the left/right balance mechanism and when its set funny it will make the rest of the system difficult the balance. Honestly this is really fiddly but i would undo the cable, screw in the screws on both sides all the way, move brake spring to the inner most setting and then re-check the system. Adjusting canti's is a bit like re-truing a wheel. You can spend lots of time making things worse and it can be immensely frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my TRP TTV Brakes on Focus Chrono [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just replaced the cable shortly after taking this photo. However it is like that because the more I try to fiddle with the brake and tightening the screw that secures the cable, the more it damages it.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing my TRP TTV Brakes on Focus Chrono [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. I definitely won't be buying those brakes then. TRP seems like they can't make a reliable brake.

Should I tighten the tension screw all the way in before or after assembling the brakes onto the pivot? Because I found when the tension screw is all the way in (clockwise) when I install the brake arm onto the fork pivot it is at the 9 o'clock position (in order for the spring to line up with the hole in the fork) and then it is impossible to the twist the lever into the 12 o'clock position. Whereas if the tension screw is loser there is more give.

Also with the spring, do you install the longer side or shorter side first into the fork?

If you could please provide just a bit more detail how exactly you would install these brake that would be awesome.

Do you think just by looking at my fork this brake won't work?
TRP- AERO FRONT BRAKE- MOD.TTV F-B (TTV06) - ONLY FOR TTV COMPATIBLE FRAME AND | eBay
Last edited by: MerschK: Dec 31, 20 16:02
Quote Reply