Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replace Helmet? Opionions please
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I was out riding my mountain bike on crushed limestone paths and I must have hit some ice and fell on my left side. I hit hard enough to end up in the emergency room with a concussion and have gap of 6 hours of my memories of yesterday. Basically all I remember is being in the parking lot getting ready to ride and then next thing I knew someone was taking a bunch of xrays. Somehow I managed to get myself back to my car, load up my bike and call my husband. I have no memory of this, but my bike and shoes are caked with limestone crud and the heart rate monitor claims I exercised for little over an hour.

My helmet does not appear to have any visible damage, but I am wondering if I should just play it safe and replace it. It is a Giro Penumo helmet. Or is there a way to send it back to the manufacture for them to evalute it's future protection capabilities? It cost $149.00 so I'm hesitating about just tossing it - although I know my head and life are worth much more than that.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

P.S. Does a workout count if you can't remember it?? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [gadgetgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replace it! Looks can be deceiving.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must replace it.
If you worry about the money you can get a cheaper Giro helmet. It offers the same protection but may be less comfortable or ventilated.

But again you must replace it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replace -- now -- no more ridey until replacey das helmet. muey importante.

and no, it doesn't count unless you can remember it. like sex.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, you have convinced me. I've just ordered it's replacement today.

The doctor warned us that I might not be thinking normally for a few days!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to offer customers 50% off helmets if they crashed. I think Bell/Giro have a crash replacement policy. You should ask the shop where you purchased the helmet.

And, always!!! replace your helmet after any crash where you hit your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to helmets, so tell me, why is she replacing it?

Didn't it work, and isn't it still in tact?
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I have the paperwork from the helmet somewhere at home (I'm at my office right now). I will take a look at it and see if there is something about a crash policy.

Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because a helmet is made of foam which absorbs energy. Even though the exterior may not show the impacted area, the interior foam maybe crushed. If it's crushed, it won't have the same energy absorbing capability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this:
From their website (http://www.giro.com):

If your helmet is involved in an accident, you may be able to get a credit toward a new helmet from Giro by doing the following:

Send us:
a. Your damaged helmet;
b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt;
c. A letter describing your accident (in as much detail as possible)

Ship to:
Giro
Consumer Service
1924 County Road, 3000

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It worked like a charm. Imgaine what would have happened if she where bare headed. The helmet absorbs impact by deforming. So the helmet has changed and loss some it's ability to absorb another impact. It might look ok but it's not a gamble worth taking.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace replace replace. And if you are worried about the money, take the old helmet and hang it on your wall, as both a piece of art and as a reminder of how important wearing a helmet is. If you got a concussion and memory loss on crushed rock with a helmet on, do you think you would be posting to this forum if you hadn't been wearing it? I've got 3 cracked helmets that I keep. I show them to the idiots who say they don't need one. Sadly, I usually don't get through.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for finding that info for me. Details of the accident are sketchy considering I have no actual memory of being on the bike, but have the mud covered shoes & bike to prove that I was! I will reconstruct as best as possible.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so right about what the alternatives might have been if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Fortunately I am the type that wouldn't drive (or ride) in a car without seat belts and won't even ride my bike around the block without a helmet on.

But I do know people who refuse to wear helmets except in races. I don't have a very high opinion of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We must be alike, 'cause I just crashed this morning also. Riding a 50 miler with a friend down here in Houston at 6:30 this morning, apparantly we crossed a railroad track at a diagonal and I got caught in the groove and went down pretty hard. I have no memory of the accident until the ambulance arrived but my friend told me that I popped up and wanted to go on, even though my bike was toast. I was wearing a Lazer Blade helmet and the ER doc said it saved me from a concussion or worse. Got 10 stitches in my right eyebrow area along with really sore wrists where I evidently tried to break my fall along with other scrapes and soreness. Also, ripped the rear leg of my pricey Castelli shorts, not to mention the bruise to my ego! I too was wondering if I should replace my helmet and after reading the posts, I guess I will too. I was wanting the Blade with Italian colors anyway so now I can justify the expense. Got a 'scrip for painkillers but I'll try the old standbys, alcohol (Old Charter 10 yr. w/ 7up), ibuprofen and ice. Good luck with your recovery!

"I fought the Law, and the Law won." Bobby Fuller Five
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Helmet? Opionions please [studley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! You sound much worse off from your fall than I am. My bike is fine, my clothing is still intact, I only have one small visible bruise on my left hip. I just am missing 6 hours of yesterday! Oh, and I'm pretty achy on my left side today - counting the hours til the next dose of Tylenol.

Hope you recover quickly! And watch out for those train tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the 411, I learn something new every day (i've never crashed, thankfully).

Your bike was toast?!?! Do tell, what were you riding? Don't buy anything without asking Pluto, or you'll get yelled at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Lemond Zurich, probably 2000 model with full Ultegra. Both handlebars are turned inward and the wheels aren't turning, but my friend took it to work so I'll get it tomorrow and to the shop to assess the damage and repair costs. Funny thing is, I've got a custom steel Hans Schneider road bike ordered that I'll get by the end of the month so I'm happy it wasn't on that. If I woulda crashed on that thing, I'd be like...damn my head, save the bike! Now, with stitches above my right eyebrow...I just look mean, ggrrowllll!!!

"Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll." Bon Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cracked my helmet, a bell ghisallo, in a crash last year. I got on bell's website and dealt directly with them. I received an email with a rma number, sent the damaged helmet off with an accident description and a $35 check (no receipt needed). about a week later I had a new ghisallo. good stuff.
Quote Reply