Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Repainting a Cervelo NP3
Quote | Reply
I have had my Cervelo NP3 för 4 years.

I am planning to have it repainted. The standard white/red/black feels so old and I think it's a real pain to wash the bike with it's matte finish.

Question: do you think repainting the frame will effect the aerodynamics? I'm planning to paint it in bright colours instead of matte colors.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, I think...there is a white paper out there that will validate that the brighter fluorescent colors will save you 10 watts at 15 degrees yaw...or is it 7 watts at 9 degrees...damnit get off my lawn!

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it will have no effect. color does not affect the performance of your bike's aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I know that the color itself does not effect aerodynamics. I was wondering if the type of paint (matte/traditional paint) has an effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is no measurable effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matte finish is like very small dimples.... /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spaceships don't have paint due to weight...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having my 2016 Cervelo P3 repainted now. I seriously doubt I'll be able to tell any difference in aerodynamics. I went for a gloss finish over the crap matte paint Cervelo put on. Even with an aero penalty, I'll be happier if it looks nicer, which will make me go faster. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spaceships cost $10k per pound to launch into space.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 15, 18 19:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
Thanks.

I know that the color itself does not effect aerodynamics. I was wondering if the type of paint (matte/traditional paint) has an effect.

There's no difference between matte and glossy. It's been tested. Even heavily textured paints have been tested with no significant effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [JRTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRTX wrote:
I'm having my 2016 Cervelo P3 repainted now. I seriously doubt I'll be able to tell any difference in aerodynamics. I went for a gloss finish over the crap matte paint Cervelo put on. Even with an aero penalty, I'll be happier if it looks nicer, which will make me go faster. ;)

Are they able to just paint a gloss over the matt finish?

As for repainting-anyone know how much weight this would add?
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Are they able to just paint a gloss over the matt finish?

As for repainting-anyone know how much weight this would add?

Typically no... You wouldn't paint directly over it. Or rather it would at least be scuffed to provide a better surface for the new paint to adhere to. But, most matte finishes are created by adding something to the paint (often silica). These additives are not optimal for adhering paint to... Even when scuffed. So, ideally the matte layer would be removed for longest life.

As far as weight goes... Not enough for anyone to care. A couple ounces once cured.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote] Are they able to just paint a gloss over the matt finish?[/quote]
No, the bike was sanded down and then prepped with primer before applying the new paint.
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There's no difference between matte and glossy. It's been tested. Even heavily textured paints have been tested with no significant effect.

Link? Saw a guy who'd painted his SC with really rough bed-liner. I don't think it was for aero. The frame is at sub-critical Re so I thought smooth would be a little better, but who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much does it cost to have a bike painted?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Link? Saw a guy who'd painted his SC with really rough bed-liner. I don't think it was for aero. The frame is at sub-critical Re so I thought smooth would be a little better, but who knows.

I'm referring to the tests Ridley did a while ago. I can't find a link at the moment. In short, if the "peaks" of the surface roughness aren't large enough to penetrate the boundary layer there will be no effect on aerodynamics. Something like rough bed-liner very well might be enough to penetrate the boundary layer and have an effect.

Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the effect on a sphere with roughness vs Re. They are looking at surface texture in the 0.15 to 1.25% of D range so quite rough.

Some bike Re below at 50km/hr. You'd want smooth surfaces at high Re, but that's really outside the realm of typical bike size and speeds, except for maybe the rider's body. Bike frames should be in the subcritical area where texture could help. The head tube especially.

Head tube 50k
Fork blade/ seatstay 15k
Frame tube 30k

Head 230k
Body 460k
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 16, 18 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Repainting a Cervelo NP3 [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

Depends on who does it and what kind of paint job you want. Ballpark is $500ish and up for a professional job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRTX wrote:
AlyraD wrote:

Depends on who does it and what kind of paint job you want. Ballpark is $500ish and up for a professional job.

I had a local painter who works at a hot rod shop and does Bike's on the side do mine. Also an NP3. I have since sold the bike to another slowtwitcher but it came out really good now I did my own prep work with the sanding but I think he only charged me 350.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colnagoguy wrote:
Thanks.

You can always compensate by manscaping and plenty of body moisturizer ;D
Quote Reply