Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rent a race bike or fly my bike.
Quote | Reply
Looking at flight schedules (due to the suspension of Boeing planes) which have changed substantially and lugging bike bag (which I have to rent) all over on multiple legs, along with possible multiple airline charges for a bike bag and dealing with customs. If I can rent a similar bike for about half the cost and a fraction of the inconvenience and I take my own saddle, am I really going to lose much. Although it's a nice bike (a ten year old P3c) the rental would likely be a P2. Can't take the wheels anyway, don't think Hed 3's are going to be practical. I'm actually a couple of hundred bucks ahead if I leave it behind. I'm a 6 hr IM biker.

Thoughts ?
Quote Reply
Re: Rent a race bike or fly my bike. [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael,

This is a common dilemma and I have two answers after one, important comment.

It's really important that you are in the exact position on race day that you've been training in - that's the critical news. If somethings different by even a fraction it can ruin your day when you go ultra distance like you're planning.

Option 1: ship or fly/ship so you can use your exact bike that you know and love. Typically (hopefully) your flight hopping takes place AFTER the race and if that's the case just pack the bike up after the race, slap a shipping label on there and leave it at the hotel front desk for later pickup. Of, if you're hopping about before the race then ship it to the hotel and have 'em hold it there for you 'til you arrive.

Option 2: pack up just your saddle, shoes, pedals, and helmet and rent. BUT go in KNOWING the bike you get will meet these 5-6 exact specs off your existing ride:
  1. Seat height
  2. Set back
  3. Cockpit distance: nose of saddle to back of pad, nose of saddle to tip of aerobar
  4. Pad elevation (AKA pad drop)
  5. Pad width (center to center)

If you can get a couple of other tid bits too - saddle tilt, aerobar tilt - those can help spread the icing on the cake.

Best of luck.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply