Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn Disc or PT w/ wheel covers
Quote | Reply
I asked this on another forum, just looking for more input. Have several 10- 12k TT's coming up. No hills in these TT's either mostly flat, or rolling. Steepest grade would be ~4%. The Renn is a tubular and weighs 1470g with tire, the PT Pro, 32h open pro, wheelcovered wheel with tire weighs 2160g. I really like the PT for pacing, but am I giving up time by using the 690g heavier wheel?

These are stage races, and seconds can mean places and many lost points.

So far this year I have done 2 tt's, 2nd both times (but by a wide margin), and both on a set of Cosmic Carbones front and rear.

I am assuming that either option would be faster than what I have been running?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disc or PT w/ wheel covers [196nautique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends entirely on *how* you use the power meter vs. the cool whoop-whoop helicopter sound of a real disc that makes you faster by sound alone ;)

Since you are pretty much all out for 20-40K (or however long your TTs) are, I'm not sure how much help the PT would be for you.

Re: Renn Disc or PT w/ wheel covers [196nautique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got both, Renn Tubular and the old PT pro with the yellow cap.

I would race the PT with my cover every time over the Renn. The Renn is a great wheel but I appear to do better with the power feedback.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disc or PT w/ wheel covers [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that powertap with the yellow cover is what I have too. I was using it today on some training, and think having the power numbers available will help me. The first tt was flat, and I felt like I just crushed it. Left all I had out there. The second tt had a 3 minute climb in it and I had horrible pacing. I didn't have much left to put into the pedals when I got to the top, and still had about 10k to go. It took me a minute or so to recover but it certainly affected my time.

Now I need to figure out the second part- On a hilly course, do how much do I hold myself back going uphill? I can average 340w for the 20- 22 minutes the tt takes, but usually I am way over that when climbing, then under when steaming along on the flats.
Quote Reply