Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Remove small Chainring for IMAZ?
Quote | Reply
So obviously, this is a very minor thing, but just curious what others think. Why drag the front shifter, cable, housing, deraileur and small ring around for 112 miles if you don't need to? Is there a rule that says you have to have a front deraileur? I'm not sure what aero advantage could be realized, but could it hurt?
Quote Reply
Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U might need some shorter chain ring bolts, and it seems like a lot of work for a probably insignifigant gain if any
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So obviously, this is a very minor thing, but just curious what others think. Why drag the front shifter, cable, housing, deraileur and small ring around for 112 miles if you don't need to? Is there a rule that says you have to have a front deraileur? I'm not sure what aero advantage could be realized, but could it hurt?

Ask David Millar about his choice not to go with a front derailleur in the 2003 Tour de France prologue.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you quote the word "'lose'"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up with bad wind conditions you might find yourself desperately wishing for it later in the bike.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it when people get all concerned about weight on their bikes and then propose something that is pretty dumb. Take a good poop each day for the three days leading up to the race and you'll drop as much weight as you would concocting the setup you are proposing.
Quote Reply
Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
relax buddy, its just an idea..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine, but it sounds like you need to relax and focus on your training as opposed to contemplating things to do to your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yawn..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, nevermind, you're right....Take off the FD, small ring, and all associated cabling and equipment. It'll be fine, I am sure nothing will happen.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thought Dave - you are a strong enough cyclist to certainly NOT need the 39 up front even in the wind. Just in the taper boredom I assume. I probably wouldn't ... breaking the chain if Shimano, might need shorter chainring bolts, rewrapping the aero bars, recabling, etc. (esp if your bike uses internal routing). I'm sure you are not the first person to wonder about this, but I've never seen it.

Have a great race!

Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was just an idea. Since I'm recabling my bike later today anyway, I was just curious if anyone had seen it done.

It wouldn't be ST if I didn't get the "that's a dumb idea" and "you should be out training" comments. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's the problem with asking what others think. Sometimes they answer ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this. I am also doing IMArizona, probably won't use my small chain ring, but I don't have enough knowledge about the pros and cons of removing the small chain ring. It would just be another thing to worry about that could go wrong.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are windy days when the small chainring is pretty useful on the beeline. I can recall days when I slogged up that sucker at about 12mph into a tough headwind. FWIW, I ride about 60 minutes for a 40K TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not, it would feel weird to not have the shifter at the end of my bar, I like to rest my middle finger and index finger ( in between) I ride in the wind a lot and sometimes use the 39, very rarely but its nice to have it available. see you in AZ.

2010: RR 100, BW, qualify for Kona at coz!!
Quote Reply
Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly, I am consistently a sub 60 40k TT guy but last year at IMAZ, I found myself going like 12-14 into the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it the first year and I felt strong on the bike going in to the race but could only ride 5:30 (OK that's normal for me but I felt strong) there were times I was torquing round the cranks in the little ring. When I saw Faris riding into the wind as fast as I was with the wind behind me I smiled and said to myself he would win Hawaii that year.

I definitely would leave both rings on you never know what might happen, you might bonk and need it to get back! Or if your chain or derailleur was to break and you get a quick fix from tech support they might need to shorten the chain.

Good luck in AZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that if she pooped each day for three days leading up to the race would drop as much weight as following her idea, doesn’t change the fact that she would still be dropping weight by leaving out the small chain ring (whether that’s a good idea or not is a totally different matter). So your logic really doesn’t make sense.

I think what you’re trying to say is that her time is better spent training rather than ‘concocting’.

Even to that point, I’d disagree. There’s always recovery downtime, what better way to spend it than to think of ways to get that extra edge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be great idea IF it wasn't a 112 mile bike ride. Thats a long time and alot can happen. if you bonk, the winds pick up, etc etc.....you may wish you had that 39 as a bail out to make it to T2.

Now that said, if the race was shorter...........hhhhhmmmmmmmm.....maybe I'd try it and see if it matters. I have a short sprint race this Sunday and I'd like to try it some time. Then again, I'd save maybe 2 sec at most with the drop in wieght on a 12 mile course with near 0 elevation change. And now I have to pull the cables, get shorter chainring bolts, pull the shifter out, then after the race put in a new cable, etc. etc. I don't think its worth the effort. Although I missed the "elite" awards 2 weeks ago by just 16 seconds.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not recommend this. I definitely spent time in the small chainring last year in the 40 mph headwinds we experienced on the return trip into town.

Also, how much advantage will dropping a small chain ring give you? You will be riding with at least 2-3 bottles of fluid, a chainrings worth of food in grams...and on a flat course. I don't see any reason why you would want to loose your small chain ring... I always kind of chuckle when people talk about dropping 50 grams on their bike on an Ironman, then put 4 bottles on their bike and a buffet of powerbars...

I would focus your attention on dropping a pound or two of body fat before the race. That will help you much more than ditching your small chain ring.

mis dos pesos...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my guess is that most everyone oif the nay sayers so far has carbon WB cages, ceramic bearing, dimpled zipps, etc, etc, etc so i wouldn't worry about them. Weight wise my guess is your are looking at a pound or so. Too lazy too look up what that works out to but maybe a minute over 112 miles. Aero wise it depends on cabling (in or out of frame). If its out I wouldn't be surprised if all told its another minute maybe two. If you could move your crank in a bit (unlikely without fiddling) the narrower stance might also help.

So my guess is all told 3 minutes max. Now decide if you are that close to qualifying (and how much qualifying means). If you've been 10 minutes or so from a spot I'd say go for it, minutes matter and missing by 1 minute or 20 minutes, who cares. If you don't care about a slot and just want a decent race, don't take chances.

If you go 1 ring either leave on the FD as a guide or get a single speed chainring. They have long teeth that wont let the chain derail as easily.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Remove small Chainring for IMAZ? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well my guess is that most everyone oif the nay sayers so far has carbon WB cages, ceramic bearing, dimpled zipps, etc, etc, etc so i wouldn't worry about them. Weight wise my guess is your are looking at a pound or so. Too lazy too look up what that works out to but maybe a minute over 112 miles. Aero wise it depends on cabling (in or out of frame). If its out I wouldn't be surprised if all told its another minute maybe two. If you could move your crank in a bit (unlikely without fiddling) the narrower stance might also help.

So my guess is all told 3 minutes max. Now decide if you are that close to qualifying (and how much qualifying means). If you've been 10 minutes or so from a spot I'd say go for it, minutes matter and missing by 1 minute or 20 minutes, who cares. If you don't care about a slot and just want a decent race, don't take chances.

If you go 1 ring either leave on the FD as a guide or get a single speed chainring. They have long teeth that wont let the chain derail as easily.

Styrrell
analyticcycling.com says dropping .5kg over 180km of flat course will gain you about 6 seconds. FYI.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next