Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remove crusty tubular glue from carbon rim
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a pair of used Cane Creek carbon wheels. After removing the previous tires, there is a good bit of crusty tubular glue impregnated with the bottom layer of the last tires. It is hard enough that I can't pull it off. Additionally, these patches are in an irregular patter so that new tubulars can't be glued over them. I know that the traditional methods to remove such glue, paint thinner and acetone, aren't recommended for use with carbon rims. What should I use to get this stuff off?
Quote Reply
Re: Remove crusty tubular glue from carbon rim [bigdavedahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment.
Quote Reply
Re: Remove crusty tubular glue from carbon rim [Himself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've used a Dremel tool with a wire brush attachment.

You are joking, right? Remember, we're talking carbon rims here.

I've heard using a layer of tubbie glue over the old glue softens it up a bit so you can scrape it off. Alcohol shouldn't hurt the resin but may not work very well on the glue. I've got a while before I need to worry about this on my new 404 front :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goof-off or goo-gone works really really well. Get a small rag pretty wet, run over all glue thats crutsty 2 or 3 times really quick, let sit a couple of minutes, wipe off. thats it

definitely don't use brake cleaner. - E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I know that the traditional methods to remove such glue, paint thinner and acetone, aren't recommended for use with carbon rims.
Acetone is exactly what you should use. Andy from Hed posted on this a while back.
Quote Reply
Re: Remove crusty tubular glue from carbon rim [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure there is no half removed waste product left on the rim as that acts as anti glue and can lead to a poorly glued on tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acetone seems to work but evaporates way to fast, try Bestine rubber cement thinner. You can get it at your local art store and it works great.
Quote Reply