Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removal of FD Hanger from Cervelo S5
Quote | Reply
I am doing a 1x set up on a 2019 Cervelo S5. Its not that I care so much about saving a single watt, but I just hate the idea of the FD hanger sitting on the bike with no function. My LBS says the FD hanger is attached with pop rivets that can only be "removed" by drilling them out, but that might void the warranty. Any thoughts on how to remove the FD hanger?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 14, 20 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Removal of FD from Cervelo S5 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drilling pop rivets is the easy way to remove them.

I guess you could also cut or grind them off with a Dremel tool.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 14, 20 13:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely the Front Der itself isn't riveted to the frame.
Perhaps the hanger is, but not the Der. itself.
Unclamp the front Der and leave the hangar or get a 3d printed cover.
Last edited by: kppolich: Oct 14, 20 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a photo and I bet you’ll get some good options to consider. It sounds like you’re actually asking about the derailleur hanger, and not the derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: Removal of FD from Cervelo S5 [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I edited. I meant the FD hanger. I never purchased or attached a FD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever method you pick, I would have the bike upside down with the seat post out so that any shavings or internal parts of the pop rivets don’t stay in the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Removal of FD Hanger from Cervelo S5 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could keep it and hold out for someone to come up with a clean solution. There are cover plates now for direct mount MTB front derailleur hangers. I have this same one on my mtb:

If 1x on road becomes popular enough someone might come out with some slick, possibly even aero cover for a typical braze on. Or, a more aero chain guide (the K-Edge is not bad).

Of course, 3T and the cool companies are now making the FD mounts removable and/or replaceable with a bottle opener!
Quote Reply
Re: Removal of FD Hanger from Cervelo S5 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drilling rivets out is actually pretty easy, but I'd still not do it if it were me. Aside from it being nearly pointless to remove it, and possibly voiding your warranty (and/or damaging the frame if the drill bit slips), what happens if you (or the next person to own the bike) decide down the road to go 2x again? Riveting the hanger back on is yet another opportunity to damage the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Removal of FD Hanger from Cervelo S5 [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Drilling rivets out is actually pretty easy, but I'd still not do it if it were me. Aside from it being nearly pointless to remove it, and possibly voiding your warranty (and/or damaging the frame if the drill bit slips), what happens if you (or the next person to own the bike) decide down the road to go 2x again? Riveting the hanger back on is yet another opportunity to damage the frame.

Yeah, upon further inspection, I decided to leave it there for the same reasons as you articulated. I was just surprised as removing a FD hanger from my P2 and P3 was so easy.
Quote Reply