Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Relationship between crank length and cleat position
Quote | Reply
When it comes to mechanical arguments such as leverage etc. Is there any relationship between crank length and cleat position?

Also has anyone anecdotally found that a certain combo did or didn't work for them?

I've switched to 155 cranks recently and pairing that with almost midfoot cleats, but sometimes I feel like I'm pedalling in treacle!

I just wondered if the arguments around loss of leverage from a shorter crank being negated by other leverage factors is negated by midfoot cleat position?
Quote Reply
Re: Relationship between crank length and cleat position [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
When it comes to mechanical arguments such as leverage etc. Is there any relationship between crank length and cleat position?

Also has anyone anecdotally found that a certain combo did or didn't work for them?

I've switched to 155 cranks recently and pairing that with almost midfoot cleats, but sometimes I feel like I'm pedalling in treacle!

I just wondered if the arguments around loss of leverage from a shorter crank being negated by other leverage factors is negated by midfoot cleat position?

I thought about this some time ago, but it should make no diff, because even if you gain something at some point in the circle, you'll lose it elsewhere, so it SHOULD be a wash.
Quote Reply
Re: Relationship between crank length and cleat position [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the position of the cleat will move the circle without altering the diameter.
Quote Reply
Re: Relationship between crank length and cleat position [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this.

I've just tried out some 170s after being on 155 for a while and my legs/back/everything hurts!
Quote Reply
Re: Relationship between crank length and cleat position [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you make the midfoot cleat change at the same time as the crank length change?

Did you raise your saddle?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Relationship between crank length and cleat position [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always been relatively far back with the cleats. Now I've gone fully midfoot.
I was using 165mm cranks for years but decided to go to 155 because I have hip impingement.
Saddle height is about dead on for what I need, slightly on the lower end, definitely not too high
Quote Reply