Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recumbents and triathlons
Quote | Reply
Go easy on a tri-newbie here, but I have a question on using a recumbent in a triathlon. Even though I have yet to try a Tri, I'm a runner of 23+ years with 198 races under my belt, plus a handful of years in online forums, so flame if you must, but bewarned I come with my asbestos jacket ;)

Anyway, how do I know when I look at triathlon schedules or race literature which ones will allow me to use my recumbent. Aside from emailing race directors individually, is there a particular "USAT" distance that'll tell me, 'this is a certified, rules-bound event'?

I know some of the "hometown festival" type events that do not count toward part of a triathlon series or some I've seen have a "recumbent" category are okay to enter. I've been riding my 'bent for a year now and have not had a single mile that wasn't sheer joy. My back, butt, wrists, and neck are lovin' it.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recumbents and triathlons [jrjo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a recumbent at any triathlon. As far as I know, this is probably because they aren't allowed. That's just as well for the rest of us as recumbents tend to be faster than normal bicycles.

It probably varies from event to event, but there might be some tris that allow recumbents. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they ran in a separate catagory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading somewhere that they are not permitted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, can't use it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
not according to rule 5.11c [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.11c) A vertical line touching the front most point of the saddle may be no more than 5 centimeters in front of and no more than 15 centimeters behind a vertical line passing through the center of the chain wheel axle, and the cyclist must not have the capability of adjusting the saddle beyond these limits during competition.

{chain wheel axel =Bottom Bracket spindle}

this specification alone would rule out a recumbent

http://www.usatriathlon.org/Frames/fs_rules.htm

eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I do have to say I'm surprised there hasn't been a recumbent sighting at a triathlon before. I didn't realize I was embarking on being a novelty.

I did find that same USAT rule on bicycle dimensions which would preclude recumbents, but my larger question is how does a guy know if an event adheres to these rules? Just the first couple conversations I've had with race directors, some do and some don't. I guess I'll be taking the route of contacting directors one at a time.

I do plan on entering some Tri's that will allow me, so a recumbent sighting might not be too far off for some of you in the Midwest.

A bigger topic that would be interesting to address sometime is why USAT isn't more welcoming of recumbents and create a class for them. Being part of the recumbent community in addition to endurance sports, I can tell you that recumbent cycling is fast growing. And with a near exclusive US manufactured bikes, it would be a home grown impact triathloning could make by embracing some new participants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrjo,

Just in case any purists are out there ready to pounce; I want you to know that I agree with the sentiment that taking a look at making a place for recumbent bikes in tri makes sense. I have a good friend who when younger was very much a traditional cyclist. Due to degenerative discs in his neck he is no longer able to ride a traditional geometry bike. Recumbent is his only choice. It is a shame that triathlon does not create a place for persons who choose recumbents either out of necessity or preference.

John

"A man must love a thing very much if he not only
practices it without any hope of fame and money,
but even practices it without any hope of doing it well."

(G. K. Chesterton)

Quote Reply