Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears
Quote | Reply
I tried the following:

Airpods
Plantronics Backbeat fit
Mpow flame
TOZO T10 5.0
Jlab audio jbuds

They all bounce around in my ears, making the sound choppy. It does not matter how hard I push them into my ear canals.

I did keep the plantronics because the work great on the stationary bike, on Vasa and in the gym. But for running I am stuck with corded YurBuds from 5 years ago. They work great but the sound quality is not the best.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use trekz aftershox headphones exclusively for working out.
I hate when sweat gets between my ears and my headphones... this leaves the ears open (and as benefit, i can talk to anyone normally, with them in),

I do my trainer riding, my outdoor running (and Im guessing I'll buy the new ones that can be in water for some swimming on my own as well)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I tried the following:

Airpods
Plantronics Backbeat fit
Mpow flame
TOZO T10 5.0
Jlab audio jbuds

They all bounce around in my ears, making the sound choppy. It does not matter how hard I push them into my ear canals.

I did keep the plantronics because the work great on the stationary bike, on Vasa and in the gym. But for running I am stuck with corded YurBuds from 5 years ago. They work great but the sound quality is not the best.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

I use the planktronics backbeat fit and they don’t bounce around for me.

I also run with the oversized Hesh 2 Wireless by Skullcandy and they work great even though I sweat a lot with them. I raced the NYC 5th Ave mile with these in 2018 and 2019. I use them all the time, I love them. I link the music to my Garmin watch when running.

Not sure if Hesh 3 are as durable if you can’t find Hesh 2.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Oct 26, 19 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
I hate when sweat gets between my ears and my headphones... this leaves the ears open (and as benefit, i can talk to anyone normally, with them in),

I do my trainer riding, my outdoor running (and Im guessing I'll buy the new ones that can be in water for some swimming on my own as well)

+1 they also have great warranty support (my first pair died after about a year and a half and they replaced no questions asked - I killed pretty much any other Bluetooth headphones in a matter of months)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:

I'm such a huge fan of Aftershokz. I have struggled with earbuds since a teenager (sports or otherwise, they just do not stay in.) Aftershokz are freaking amazing. The only real con is that they're not great in super loud environments, but in that case you could just use foam earplugs. You obviously couldn't hear the exterior at that point, but neither could you with in-ears.

I just picked up the new swimming ones; they're pretty sweet. Con is that it's all storage (not bluetooth) which makes sense for swimming, but isn't ideal day to day. Dream state would be storage plus BT.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Oct 26, 19 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd rather not go the over the ear route because I get irritated easily by things on top of my head. But I guess I could try them if all else fails.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jlab epic air sport. I seem to have issues with many brands but these are pretty much perfect in terms of staying out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Trekz. The sound quality isn't superb, but I don't need that for training. The ability to hear ambient noise is worth it, and I hate getting sweat in my ears with earbuds. I can hardly tell I'm wearing anything.

I tried Apple's Airpods but my sweat killed them, and they became uncomfortable after a while, particularly once the sweat builds up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Trekz. Probably tired four others and nothing worked well, will never go back to in the ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones do you use - air, titanium, xtrsanerz?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Which ones do you use - air, titanium, xtrsanerz?

The Air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather not go the over the ear route because I get irritated easily by things on top of my head. But I guess I could try them if all else fails.

I typically wear a baseball cap to keep the headphones in place.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid question, but can you put the Yarbuds silicone covers on the Plantronics (just remove the thin, uncomfortable ones that come stock)?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
dcohen24 wrote:

I'm such a huge fan of Aftershokz. I have struggled with earbuds since a teenager (sports or otherwise, they just do not stay in.) Aftershokz are freaking amazing. The only real con is that they're not great in super loud environments, but in that case you could just use foam earplugs. You obviously couldn't hear the exterior at that point, but neither could you with in-ears.

I just picked up the new swimming ones; they're pretty sweet. Con is that it's all storage (not bluetooth) which makes sense for swimming, but isn't ideal day to day. Dream state would be storage plus BT.

Did you ever try a vertical headphone (ie over the head system)? Fwiw, I bought a pair of Aftershokz way back in the beginning and I really couldn't see myself ever using them - the sound quality was horrible without foam earplugs compared to corded Sony MDR-AS35w - many would argue that these were the best sport headphones ever produced - sadly they are no longer produced. I also worry about people turning up Aftershokz too unsafe levels (too hear more clearly) then having a rush of ambient noise as well.

Regardless, this is one area where I find a lot of irony. Personally I am very old school in my music device and I just don't see myself ever moving off of a storage device in the near future (I realize this isn't for most). Truth be told I was working on the Bluetooth stack way back in 2004, hacking it to open the communication channel to allow more than just the standard voice conversation - I sold a software product that did that for other people. I mention that because in general I am still not sold on Bluetooth for music/voice 15 years later and I find myself using a basic MP3 player with guts from the late 2000s as well paired with the Sony MDR-AS35w. It is ironic though as I was basically using a iPhone size device back in 1994 when I was middle school albeit maybe twice as thick.

I would be curious to hear some feedback for anyone that relied on say a Sony MDR-AS35w and reviewed the sound quality, durability, ability to stay put, and ability to not have to charge and always have power as long as your device has power compared to Bluetooth offerings. I get it, people don't manage their music anymore, they want to use their streaming services, they want to use Bluetooth, but 15 years later I am still not sold on the technology. I do have a pair of 3M worktunes, that I use for different use-cases, but I really don't see myself giving up my tiny MP3 player and corded headphones anytime soon for at least running. Another benefit of vertical headphones is they don't need to be so tight as they are not falling out which means you do get plenty of ambient sound let in as well. They really do seem like the best, unless of course you can't bothered by the fact that there is a cord.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have issues with bouncing, you should try earbuds with wings that push on the upper part inside the outer ear. I use a pair of JBL Reflect Mini BT. Rock solid for me, but YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
dcohen24 wrote:

Did you ever try a vertical headphone (ie over the head system)? Fwiw, I bought a pair of Aftershokz way back in the beginning and I really couldn't see myself ever using them - the sound quality was horrible without foam earplugs compared to corded Sony MDR-AS35w - many would argue that these were the best sport headphones ever produced - sadly they are no longer produced. I also worry about people turning up Aftershokz too unsafe levels (too hear more clearly) then having a rush of ambient noise as well.

Regardless, this is one area where I find a lot of irony. Personally I am very old school in my music device and I just don't see myself ever moving off of a storage device in the near future (I realize this isn't for most). Truth be told I was working on the Bluetooth stack way back in 2004, hacking it to open the communication channel to allow more than just the standard voice conversation - I sold a software product that did that for other people. I mention that because in general I am still not sold on Bluetooth for music/voice 15 years later and I find myself using a basic MP3 player with guts from the late 2000s as well paired with the Sony MDR-AS35w. It is ironic though as I was basically using a iPhone size device back in 1994 when I was middle school albeit maybe twice as thick.

I would be curious to hear some feedback for anyone that relied on say a Sony MDR-AS35w and reviewed the sound quality, durability, ability to stay put, and ability to not have to charge and always have power as long as your device has power compared to Bluetooth offerings. I get it, people don't manage their music anymore, they want to use their streaming services, they want to use Bluetooth, but 15 years later I am still not sold on the technology. I do have a pair of 3M worktunes, that I use for different use-cases, but I really don't see myself giving up my tiny MP3 player and corded headphones anytime soon for at least running. Another benefit of vertical headphones is they don't need to be so tight as they are not falling out which means you do get plenty of ambient sound let in as well. They really do seem like the best, unless of course you can't bothered by the fact that there is a cord.

I have personally never used those headphones, nor any over-the-head.

I should clarify, my dislike of earbuds (for sports, not general listening) extends beyond just the wired aspect. I have used earbuds with ear loops that are wired. Basically, for me it comes down to: if the bud is intended to create any sort of seal within my ear, it will unseal at some point, usually between minutes and 15 or so minutes. Regardless of the form factor, once that seal is broken, I hate the misbalanced sound, the feel of sweat in my ear, or the constant awareness of my earbuds. If I could wear magic weightless over the ear cans (like I use at home,) I would, certainly.

For me, sound quality while working out just isn't a huge deal. I have some Senn 598s with a decent amp at home for proper listening (not the best headphones on earth, but I enjoy them a lot.) I don't think I've ever noticed SQ one way or another while working out. I just like the sound.

I'm pretty neutral on streaming services, and actually I really agree with you regarding the tiny mp3 player. I do think it's funny how we had that lighter-sized iPod Shuffle in like... 2008 or whatever, and now you see people carrying these big-ass phablets just so they can get music on their phones. I recently got the Aftershokz Xtrainerz (the swimming ones,) and one of my favorite side benefits with them is that I can run (with all my music from ~~2006) without a phone. I freaking love it. I don't carry my phone on me when I run without my run vest, so it's really nice to have music again. It's funny how sometimes things can get 'better' and simultaneously take years to then get back to where we were before the improvement.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit depends on your ear shape and choosing the right bud/wing size, so it's pointless asking for recommendations. Galaxy Buds work great for me with large buds and large wings, but they may not work for you.

If all else fails, get something that wraps around the ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with airpods, but I bought some cheap rubber covers for them. The covers are thin and have that little extension that's supposed to hook into the ear and help support them. The rubber seems to give me an improved grip in my ears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive had about ten different pairs of sport earbuds in the past 5 years. Bose, Yurbuds, Etc., I’m a heavy sweater so it’s hard to find a pair that will stay in my ear and that will last. I understand your frustration.

I was recommended these on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/...572174732&sr=8-9

To be honest, I had super low expectations since they were less than twenty dollars. However, I’ve had these bad boys for over a year now. Good battery life and I’ve grown accustomed to the wrap around the ear. Now the sound quality isn’t Bose, but it’s good enough to have in your ear for a long run. It’ll also correct the bouncing around in your ear.

I stopped looking for sport earbuds after these. Highly recommend them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Jaybird X3s die and was looking for something to replace them. Had a buddy suggest Soundcore Liberty, which are half the price of the X4s I was looking at. Ended up buying both and can honestly say these things rock. Good sound quality, don't bounce around while running (used them on treadmill and outdoors), and the range on these is greater (in my experience) than the X4s. These don't have the massive bass and other bells and whistles you can get on the X4s, but for the price, they're hard to beat. Good luck the whatever new pair you choose!

https://www.amazon.com/...72178376&sr=8-13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use ones called Ticpods and they can be stuffed into the ears like a bathtub plug. They stay put when I MTB, though they will fall out when I crash. Overall they are very nice and somewhat affordable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ears don't hold head phones that great either... I have Airpods and use these little rubber ear hooks.

https://www.amazon.com/...coding=UTF8&th=1

That's my recommendation... I wear them for yardwork, treadmill runs, etc and don't have to worry about them falling out anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put me in the Aftershokz group. I recently purchased a set of Aeropex and am very happy with them. I use them for running and biking, as I got sick of going through sets of ear buds. Even waterproof ones would eventually fail due to sweat. I've avoided going BT for my sport headphones because they wouldn't last long enough for my long rides, but the Aeropex claims 8 hours and was fine for my 6-hr ride yesterday. Reviewers have said they get well over 8 hrs on a charge. As others have mentioned, the sound isn't perfect but for my purposes it's not a big deal. Half the time I'm listening to podcasts anyway, where sound quality doesn't matter.

For everyday use, I use a set of BT ear buds but I like the fact that I can hear traffic and people talking to me with the Aeropex while riding and running. Since this is the majority of my headset use, I will get plenty of use out of them.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Aftershokz. Bone conduction is the way to go when training outside. Last weekend on a long run I was able to carry on a conversation with my training partner.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some bluetooth headphones that won't bounce around in my ears [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big fan of AfterShokz Trekz...was using plantronics backbeat fit which are a tank...I accidentally washed and dried my set and they still work fine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next