Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend a training swim suit
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a good suit they like for regular swim training? The one I got from the local swim shop is ... not meant for any human male.

I don't need any of the exotic race suits, just something a middle aged man would wear for a swim workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a training swim suit [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The one I got from the local swim shop is ... not meant for any human male.

What is that supposed to mean? Did you buy from the women's rack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want it to last, get a polyester blend rather than lycra. Some brands have an "endurance" fabric in a few models.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a training swim suit [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
The one I got from the local swim shop is ... not meant for any human male.

What is that supposed to mean? Did you buy from the women's rack?

The "privacy panel" is tiny and is see through. The rest of your gear is just hanging out there. It is definitely sold as a man's suit, but no male older than a toddler can wear it and not get arrested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a jammer like this. It does last longer than the normal suit.
https://www.swimoutlet.com/...uit-1943/?color=9325
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably looking for something in the 'jammer' category, with the Speedo Endurance Jammer leading the list. Shop around and do take a look at the companies competing with Speedo, such as Tyr or Arena.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a training swim suit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I'm betting the problem is that mine is no label, so probably the cheapest thing a 3rd world factory could make. I'll go with a name brand from swimoutlet this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 suits that I like. A speedo or TYR water polo style drag suit and a Kiwami speedo style suit.

The drag suit is about 8 yrs old, never put in a washing machine bc hey chlorine!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
Does anyone have a good suit they like for regular swim training? The one I got from the local swim shop is ... not meant for any human male.

I don't need any of the exotic race suits, just something a middle aged man would wear for a swim workout.

Speedo endurance in your choice of cut. Brief, square leg, or jammer.

Arena maxlife. Again, in whatever cut you prefer.

Never used TYR, so I can’t vouch for them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, get a PBT/poly suit for training. They are lycra-free and basically chlorine proof, so will last until the stitching goes.

Common ones are Speedo Endurance+, Roka, TYR DuraFast. Also brands like Funky Trunks have PBT offerings.

Personally I love the Roka suits (square legs and jammers), and hate the fully lined jammers from TYR (too warm and bulky). IMO, suits that are lined only on the front torso are the way to go.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent 8-10 hours in the pool a week, for the last 5 years, and the longest lasting so far has been the TYR Durafast. All the cheaper brands barely last a couple months, and I'm getting more than a year from the Durafast.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a training swim suit [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nylon drag suit. They are and will be the only suits you will need for practice. If you need more modesty, put a regular Speedo under it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great recs already. I second Tyr Durafast, and also like Speedo (brand), Arena, Blue Seventy, and Roka – all have been excellent quality material and last a while. Swimming is one of the cheapest sports there is equipment-wise, and it's worth spending the extra on a good suit. A lot of swimmers wear two suits for training. I wear a newer suit or (smaller cut suit, like a speedo style or short-jammers), and then put an older one over it. You could keep the bad-quality one and wear it as a second layer. This is to increase drag a little (especially as the suit gets older), and has the benefit of increasing "modesty", which is great in a public pool where you're swimming around people you don't know as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just swim in my old triathlon shorts once they wear out. Never considered buying dedicated swim training shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote here for Speedo endurance, whether jammers or speedo. I've have them survive 2-3 years of daily use back when swimming was my only sport, only dying when the stitching gave out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if 55 is middle-aged any more or just firmly in the old category but I've been swimming in a pair of Hoka SIM shorts for about 3 years and they're great. They're discreet and durable. If you're a wimp like me and never plan to swim in a non-wetsuit race, they're perfect for training. https://www.roka.com/.../sim-buoyancy-shorts
Quote Reply