Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear hub power meter for trainer and rear race disc?
Quote | Reply
Anyone install a PowerTap/quarq rear hub in a FLO disc or other rear disc?

I have a dumb trainer and am thinking about putting a rear hub power meter on a training wheel

And another one on my FLO rear disc.

I don’t want pedal or crank based I have a narrow Q factor similar to those talked about by Jens and RRuff
Last edited by: MrTri123: Jul 1, 19 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub power meter for trainer and rear race disc? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask Flo. They're very responsive. Better on the phone than e-mail.

That said, Hed does the Jet Disc in 24 and 28 hole Powertap hubs. The price jumps from 1448 to 1848, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub power meter for trainer and rear race disc? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you just go crank or pedal based then? You are going to run into all sorts of issues trying to swap out the hub on a fully carbon wheel...
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub power meter for trainer and rear race disc? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go crank or pedal based then? You are going to run into all sorts of issues trying to swap out the hub on a fully carbon wheel...

I don’t want pedal or crank based I have a narrow Q factor similar to those talked about by Jens and Rruff

Plenty of companies make rear carbon discs with hub power meters. Just wanted to see if anyone had converted a FLO disc wheel

If not I’ll sell it and buy a disc which already has a power meter hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a powertap hub (10sp) on a buckled wheel that would be perfect for a trainer (can loosen brakes so no rub)....that I'm happy to sell at a good price.

The only potential difficulty may be shipping from Australia (but I don't think THAT expensive).

PM me if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can often find HED Jets on EBay for reasonable prices, though be aware that many were built for 10sp so clearance is very tight. The other option is to send a PT to AeroCoach and they will build it into one of their discs. It would guess ~1000$ for the wheel with shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

I have a dumb trainer and am thinking about putting a rear hub power meter on a training wheel

I don’t want pedal or crank based I have a narrow Q factor similar to those talked about by Jens and RRuff

You won't be able to put a powertap hub in our FLO DISC. The hub is very specifically designed to hold the carbon skin in place. The powertap hub won't be able to do the same.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

How about having it built into a deep(ish) wheel and then just installing a cover for racing? Only need one hub then...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub power meter for trainer and rear race disc? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

How about having it built into a deep(ish) wheel and then just installing a cover for racing? Only need one hub then...

Great idea Tom

Thank you

Is there a Tim, spokes and disc cover you would recommend?

Or maybe get a used wheel off eBay already laced with a power meter and buy a cover? The wheels already with power meter seem to go for less than n$200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If bearings are bad on a used hub, note that PT charged $300 to do an overhaul. No idea what Quarq's policy is. I've never had a problem replacing PT hub bearings, but the company frowned on it.

You can get the PT wheel and cover from Wheelbuilder, and maybe even have them install it...? Tape on would be best rather than screws.

I make my own covers... which reminds me, I need to order some .015" fiberglass sheet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Great idea Tom

Thank you

Is there a Tim, spokes and disc cover you would recommend?

Or maybe get a used wheel off eBay already laced with a power meter and buy a cover? The wheels already with power meter seem to go for less than n$200

I use these: https://wheelbuilder.com/aerojacket-disc-cover/ I usually order them without the fastener holes and just tape the edge with 3M electrical tape.

My current "disc" wheel is a Hed Jet9+ Black wheel w/PT hub, with a Wheelbuilder cover.

Like rruff, I've also made my own in the past.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply