Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.???????
Quote | Reply
Looking for a rear disc. HED is a solid choice and I have researched them and have owned other HED wheels. I have tried to find more information about Premier Tactical wheels, but haven't had much luck. They are a bit cheaper than the HED. I don't know a ton about the RON wheels other than they are Polish and the warranty service seems like it might be a hassle. Thoughts? Opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to fault any of those options for a good budget disc. HED disc is spoked and I'm pretty sure the current version of the Premier disc is solid. Not necessarily a big difference between those but some people claim the spoked disc is more comfortable. Of course a disc cover would likely be as fast but way cheaper.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp, yes if I could find a smokin deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, don't want to deal with a disc cover. I have flipped a couple houses and one of the gifts I am getting myself is a disc rear wheel. A custom side by side 28 ga. being the first which I am most excited about, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's completely valid. They're a hassle.

Honestly I've been a fan of the ron discs but you're definitely paying to get them from Europe. They are significantly lighter than the other options though. I don't see a reason to pay more for a disc than the premiere though if you're in the US. Unless you need to match the front.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please post race times/result from a recent race. The first step of the slowtwitch recommendation process involves determining if you are in fact worthy of a disc wheel. If you qualify you will be issued appropriate recommendations. TIA

read:pink
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haaa, that is awesome, thanks for the laugh. I am actually just getting back to racing after some injuries/surgeries. I did 2 Olys 2019 and bike splits were 61 and 62. Last year snuck one in, in September. 59.XX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our disc wheel has a solid core.

Our old wheel was a tri-spoke inside with laminated outer but we went with solid core when we did the latest re-design.

The new solid core is a bit lighter as well as wider.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All right I definitely think those times qualify. I’m glad you appreciated the joke.

On a serious note I have a hed disc And while it gives a better ride due to the spokes it doesn’t have the whoop whoop whoop sound.
Last edited by: J7: Feb 13, 21 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a zipp disc in the classifieds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you could go wrong with either. I would toss the AeroCoach disc in there as well. Those aren't crazy expensive and very aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a HED Black disc wheel, and I absolutely love it. But, I would buy the Premier no-brainer today. It is cheaper and solid. With solid, you get the whomp-whomp sound. In my limited research, there is no material difference in aero performance between anyone’s disc wheels. Buy for price and whomp-whomp.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden a Ron disc? Curious on any more feedback than what is in other thread here.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never ridden a disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Have you ridden a Ron disc? Curious on any more feedback than what is in other thread here.
I wish. ~$1000 for a <1100g, 25.6mm wide disc seems like near unbeatable value. Plus they look really cool.

Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I love HED wheels but Zipp disc's are a work of art! Hands down the best disc out there.

PS. Buy used.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjs wrote:
This. I love HED wheels but Zipp disc's are a work of art! Hands down the best disc out there.

PS. Buy used.

why is it "hands down the best disc out there"?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Frank still sells them I'd also take a look at the Renn disc wheels. I've got an older Renn 555 which is of solid construction and I enjoy the noise it makes very much, which is by far the most important feature as everybody knows.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Fast Forward disc and I'm really happy with it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet that is going to be a beautiful gun. I’m curious...why a 28 and side by side? That’s a unique setup which might be why you’re getting it...shells are definitely a little harder to come by.

I have a 20 o/u and side by side ... they’re great for small game and clays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
I have never ridden a disc.

There are a few threads on disc wheels on here in the last few weeks. I'd read those.

Bottom line find a used disc, they typically are race wheel only wheels.
The other thing to think about is how aero is your frame. The fastest frames, with the best rear wheel shielding should typically be paired with a flat disc. The less aero frames getting a disc that is buldged like the HED disc is usually 2-3w faster.

That would be my only consideration when it came to buying a disc, well other than used, which is often the best value dollar for dollar in triathlon.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun, I different conversation. Well, I have a limited edition CZ 12ga O/U, that was a gift from my father, this is beautiful and fun on days when I want to be nostalgic. I have my everyday gun which is a 20ga O/U that is a Stevens 555. This is my whack through the bush, chase chukar up a hill get dings and scratches in it. Treat the barrels and cleaning the same as my limited edition gun, but don't feel bad if it gets a scratch/story in it.

I am looking at a .410/28 ga combo or the 28/20 combo. I am leaning more towards the .410/28. Yes, this is a bit more of a niche market/use. With the modern loads and 3in. chambers the .410 can basically become a 20 ga or very close. the 28 ga then can become a 20ga/16ga very easily with the new velocities that can be produced and the "magnum" 3in chambers very easily allow for 7/8-1.25 oz loads. We hunt everything from dusky/blue grouse, to chukar, to pheasant, to huns, to sage grouse. Shooting 7/8 oz 8 shot on dusky is almost too much at times considering that the shots happen quick and more often than not close, so I can really down load with the .410/28ga. We have a great hunting dog.(doesn't every dog owner say that, lol). Seriously, though she is solid and will hold her points. On sage grouse she will hold on point at over 600yds, which often times is 5-7 minutes to get to her, and on close points she will let them walk in front of her and not move. So early season/mid season the shots are usually very close and too big of a load takes out the bird.

How many shotguns do I need? Probably one. How many do I want N+1. Just like bikes/wheels how many do you need? Probably just one, but different terrain and different moods require a different tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert dude, I have been reading those thanks. I always pay particular attention to when you respond, you depth and wealthy of knowledge is amazing and we get to benefit from it. I have a Canyon speedmax. My wife has a Quintana Roo P5. Thoughts on wheels for those two bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear disc question HED vs Premier Tactical vs.??????? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These questions can often be guided a bit better when we have a known budget.

Also, I'd ask how much you weigh. As you can really save some coin going with a used C2 width HED disc as they can be had used for a song. Just that you lose out on the "plus" width for larger tires and CRR.

I don't weigh a lot, so saved the money going with a used C2 HED disc.

I've owned a Renn. Great low budget real disc for flat discs. I only got rid of mine as I was tired of gluing tubulars and didn't want to deal with a flat tubular if training on the disc for fun ever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next