Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
windows crap
Quote | Reply
my wife's machine has XP on it. machine can boot but screen gets black right away. switch off, switch on and it turns black after 1-2''.
not sure if she installed SP2 on it but is it one of the symptoms?
any quick fixes? more familiar with OS that are deterministic than with XP :-(
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"any quick fixes?"

OS 10.3.5

requires a different box, of course.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snce we got all new XP machines we are having almost no problems.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
read my mind...was checking the prices after getting an iBook...

anything cheaper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have many problems with XP. That sounds like a virus, did you install SP2 while connected to he Net? And only after that you did the latest security patches? Because you need to first download everything and then install it without being connected.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the power scheme got switched.

Check "power options" in "control panel"
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was done fine. ran a virus scan and it was fine.
power switch? don't think so as moving the mouse doesn't restore the screen.
everything runs fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new G5 iMac is actually pretty cheap when you look at what you're getting. A 64-bit processor running one of the most stable OSes out there, very user-friendly, very robust. You won't have to worry about down times due to viruses or spyware or any of that crap. But of course, you said you have an iBook, so you already know all that:^). Good luck!

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-H.D.Thoreau
Last edited by: amnesiac: Oct 30, 04 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she change monitor/resolution? - some fixed frequency monitors can do that if you go over their (preset) resolutions... posting the hardware config could help.
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Shony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope.
checked hardware which seems fine.
actually everything looks fine (as far as I can tell as I need to switch the screen on and off all the time to see what's on it)
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is microsoft ?
Is it an adult store thing ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm...sounds like a power supply problem - getting/keeping the monitor/vid-card going.

Do you use a UPS? Do you have both the box and the monitor plugged in the same wall outlet?

If the monitor works fine w/ other machines I'd definitely check the power supply wattage output.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fact that the monitor is shutting off says power supply issues to me. Now if you were getting the blue screen of death, things might be different.

Perhaps you need a new monitor, it sounds like it's crapping out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Check the cable to the video card and make sure it hasn't wiggled loose;

2. Check the video card itself and make sure the fan is working (if you have one) and that the video card is fully seated;

3. Unplug your cdrom drive and pull OUT the sound card if it isn't integrated; then try re-booting;

4. Boot into the bios and set it to boot to default settings;

5. Make sure all the memory is securly seated;

6. Make certain the cables to the hard drives (s) are properly seated;

7. If you don't get any beeping when you turn on the machine it probably isn't the video card, but could be the power supply or the other issues implicated above.

8. You may also have a virus. Do you run a firewall on this machine? Is all email scanned by your AV software before it is opened? Have you checked for trojans recently?

9. Have you installed any new drivers or software on this machine?

10. Quit watching all those French girls take their clothes off and it will probably boot! :)

EDIT: Oh, and plug another monitor into the monitor cable. If if works, you know you have a bad monitor. DUH! That's the first thing I should have mentioned. Thanks, Monk.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Oct 30, 04 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I switched the monitor to my Laptop and the same thing happened. It was Viewsonic about 15 months old, no warranty. Had to spring for a new monitor--no problems. It is probably a ten cent switch, but you know how that goes...
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also:

This has nothing to do with WinXp. Don't buy one of those PRETEND computers. Real men use Windows because they like to FIX things. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just connected it to my laptop..same shit...
so it's no XP (but it doesn't matter Robert, XP still sucks!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like we have a matched set of stink-ass monitors. What kind of stink-ass monitor do you have? If it is Viewsonic, I saw we start a class action suit. I will provide the class, if you can loan me a suit. The action you will have to get at home.
Last edited by: Monk: Oct 30, 04 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HP F1703 pavilion...pretty good stuff...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monk has been good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, does XP actually load, or do you only get the start-up message when you boot the comp and then it shuts down?
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
monk has been good?

Good enough!

I posted my pic and Ironclm said my GF was pretty, and I was "not bad". So that ended the curse. Plus I have apologized to everyone I intend to.
Quote Reply
Re: windows crap [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OS is fine
virus scan too...
definitely the monitor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be a power supply issue with the monitor. Shut down the computer, unplug it and check that everything is in place, then replug it. Try a different outlet too and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you check the connection in the back of the monitor where the cable plugs in? I've had the mounting plate come loose and the plug wasn't actually fully making contact thereby causing an intermittent connection. Did you swap out the cable when you plugged it into the laptop? :) Tsk, tsk. NO? :P,

But, I'm guessing your old monitor has died. :) Dispose of it in an environmentally sound manner, e.g. dropping it on the head of one of those radio shock jocks who think cyclists should be run over. :)

-Robert

Quote Reply

Prev Next