Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlonius wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I always like to yell to random people, "You look like shit, and you're no where near the finish!" Always good for a laugh out of them.

Genius! I'd like to try this if I can work up the nerve. It'd sure make me laugh to hear it during a race I was doing.

Reminds me of a great moment in American Literature

Quote:
We jumped off the radio van at Wilbur's and immediately set up a full wet-bar and Command Center next to the curb and for the next few minutes we just stood there in the rain and heaped every conceivable kind of verbal abuse on the Runners coming up.

"You're doomed, man, you'll never make it."

"Hey, fat boy, how about a beer?"

"Run, you silly bastard."

"Lift those legs."

"Eat shit and die," was Skinner's favorite.

One burly runner in the front ranks snarled back at him, "I'll see you on the way back."

"No, you won't. You'll never make it back. You won't even finish! You'll collapse."

It was a rare kind of freedom to belch any kind of cruel and brutal insult that came to mind because the idea of anybody stopping to argue was out of the question. Here was this gang of degenerates hunkered down by the side of the racecourse with TV sets, beach umbrellas, cases of beer and whiskey, loud music and wild women, smoking cigarettes.

HST - The Curse of Lono, 1983

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't beleive I forgot that one. I truly fu@#ing hate that one.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
More a classic than a cliche, and only provided by Sean Kelly:

"Doing the Calculation" (has to be said in his unique Carrick on Suir accent)

When it comes to annoying, it's almost everything out of Carlton Kirby's mouth. He just can't stop talking and it's all verbal gymnastics just for the sake of it. He's rarely actually saying anything. There's loads of phrases he repeats again and again, but I can't think of a single one right now...... thankfully!

Kelly is the best.

Every time he tried to say "Ullrika Grin Hedge".

Truly murdering the English language
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
thechromedome wrote:
“Done and dusted.”

Cheers,

I can't beleive I forgot that one. I truly fu@#ing hate that one.

Yeah, "dusted" for what exactly? Fingerprints? Like it's a Crime Scene?

Or "dusted" like cleaned up and put away on a shelf?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Pathlete wrote:
"almost there"

+1 since you hear it all the time, like 1km into your run. I want to yell it at people at the swim start some time "Great job! You're almost there!" and see how many would laugh.

A local tri has an out and back run - down a hill and then back up. On my way down, I told an up runner "it's all uphill from here!". At least he laughed and didn't try to trip me...
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"don't surge".

I kind of get it if it is really cross winded and stringing people out and making them work even though they're behind others in the line. Or, if it is slightly uphill over some longer rollers.

If it's pan flat and not a big cross wind........can you seriously not recover at 150w while sucking my wheel? You want me to pull a touch slower so you're sucking wheel at 125w instead? Alright cupcake.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
If I hear another person say "smash it"....
I feel the same way about "Crushing it" , though a bit of thread drift...

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drop the hammer
left for dead at the side of the road
unbelievable comeback after horrific accident
bombproof wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
examples:

in a spot of bother
injection of pace
turning himself inside out
dancing on the pedals
doing his/her own race
in the box

please add

Careful. Some of those are Sherwenisms and therefore represent apotheosis. To ridicule them is apostasy and will invite Jens to reach into his suitcase of courage and make you come to grief.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Jun 17, 19 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does your bike weigh?
Spinning is winning.
The optimal cadence on the bike should be (insert some ridiculously high number)
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
FasterTwitch wrote:
YOU are an Ironman.

x100000000000

No shit Mike Reilly. Get a better schtick.

Pretty easy, don't do an Ironman. Ironman is as cliche as it can be, imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full Send
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anything GW says in the same sentence as Gatorade.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [pointless_chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pointless_chip wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
FasterTwitch wrote:
YOU are an Ironman.

x100000000000

No shit Mike Reilly. Get a better schtick.

Pretty easy, don't do an Ironman. Ironman is as cliche as it can be, imo.

Yup. Haven't done an Ironman since... 2011? And that was in Europe where the announcer was far superior.
Dude was a local sports commentator and spoke 6 languages as far as I could tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe nobody has added this yet. The whole USAT branding of "The triathlon lifestyle" is beyond hokey yet gets used multiple times per article in that shitty magazine. I can't believe it takes then 3 months to come up with each single issue of that bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
examples:

in a spot of bother
injection of pace
turning himself inside out
dancing on the pedals
doing his/her own race
in the box

please add

The majority of Greg Welch's comments. Sorry Greg. I'm sure I'm the only one with that opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
As you head to the start line for Ironman"

"just make sure you enjoy it"

enjoy

Enjoyment is sitting in a jacuzzi with cold beers, quality cocaine and some ethically challenged ladies.

I'm making umbrella drinks for those ladies now....

Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
I can't believe nobody has added this yet. The whole USAT branding of "The triathlon lifestyle" is beyond hokey yet gets used multiple times per article in that shitty magazine. I can't believe it takes then 3 months to come up with each single issue of that bullshit.

Lol, this made me laugh for some reason. You seem to feel strongly about this.
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
Full Send

Agreed. I saw one picture of this dude and I immediately characterized him as the epitome of obnoxiousness.

Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gas is on the right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched yesterday's GCN race recap and first of all, I do not like the voice and intonation of this new GCN guy but whatever, that's my problem.

He said because Froome is out of the TdF that other teams will be "Extra motivated to win the tour" as if they weren't before. So yeah, I'll just add "Extra Motivated" to the list (along the lines of previously mentioned "he/she wanted it more" "was more hungry")

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: most cliched and irritating phrases in tri and cycling commentary [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do Epic Shit"

I do epic shit everyday at about 7am after breakfast. Sometimes my wife even reminds me how epic it was when she has to go later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
Full Send

They use that in triathlon commentary? that doesn't even make sense to me. What the hell does "full-send triathlon" even look like?

"He's clearly in full-send mode, today Johnny. Looking at our real-time telemetry, you can see that by the 88% FTP that he's putting down on the bike."

Interviewer: "Whew! Way to really through caution to the wind, today."
Winner: "Yeah, the plan was to stay below 87% on the bike, but I went full-send and amped it up to 88! I really had to hang it out there."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“History is being made today!”
“Historic performance!”
“Record-breaking pace!”

Not necessarily related to TV commentary, but the following phrases make me very upset:

-Anything related to “nutrition issues”. E.g. “I was having a great race until I started having nutrition issues”.

-Anything related to electrolyte balance. E.g. “I would have crushed that 5k, if my electrolyte balance wasn’t out-of-wack around mile 4”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Beast Mode.” Has that one been mentioned?

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply

Prev Next