Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i definitely have no idea what you are saying, your prose is as articulate as it is confounding

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:
hi guys. i would like talbot cox to make a video of one of my training days. i think it would help me get some sponsors

does anybody know how much he charges when he makes these videos

in point of fact, talbott's content, shared on slowtwitch, generates big traffic. so, some might sneer. some might be jealous. some might be cynical. but it's good, it's professiona, it works and, yes, it is valued by sponsors who are looking for athletes who'll do more than simply "use the product in training and racing". talbot's images and videos are widely viewed and shared, whenever we publish it or share it, on our home page, on the forum, or on our social channels.

those who are critical from behind their keyboards because they're jealous, or unequipped, are dismissed by the rank and file reader who engages in this sport as a break from the cynicism he's otherwise surrounded by.

Why do you bother? Frankly I am amazed that you allow him to post here at all.

I'll give you 3/10 on the troll-o-meter Mark. You can do better than this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the sense he isn't making too many friends among those who make their living shooting triathlon. And judging from this link, he isn't making much of a living at it.
https://www.patreon.com/talbotcox

To be clear, I think he's free to pursue his career in whatever way he pleases, but I don't think giving away content is an effective long-term strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must have a pretty boring life to feel the need to come and troll Slowtwitch forums.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
I get the sense he isn't making too many friends among those who make their living shooting triathlon. And judging from this link, he isn't making much of a living at it.

To be clear, I think he's free to pursue his career in whatever way he pleases, but I don't think giving away content is an effective long-term strategy.

i cast about in a half-dozen ventures (when i was in my 20s) trying to find some traction before i ended up finding traction. sometimes you just have to step out.

what he's doing is different, content-wise, than dc rainmaker. but business-wise it is exactly the same. sometimes you spend your time building an audience, and then you figure out later how to monetize it. facebook comes to mind.

in the meantime, perhaps let talbot worry about talbot, or maybe let me worry about talbot, and you all enjoy the content.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre right. i should make better use of my time. clearly you have done so with 6556 posts.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a difference between trolling and being active in a community.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 13, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
he said in the Gwen post that he's doing them for free, trying to build his brand. Surely for someone as famous as you he'd do it for free too, just ask him.

And I heard he was pissing off some other content products by doing it for free. Man kind of sounds like the age-group team eating at the pro's lunch. Regardless he does good work and triathlon is too small so how long before he jumps ship to Nascar or something else?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
stevej wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:
hi guys. i would like talbot cox to make a video of one of my training days. i think it would help me get some sponsors

Seems to me if you are: 1) fast, and 2) interesting, he will probably find you.

Are you either of those?

you seem like you know what you are talking about. do you have any tips or workouts that can help me get faster

For starters...... don't have a kid

Say you've already botched that step.....

epo???

blog
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Sean H wrote:
he said in the Gwen post that he's doing them for free, trying to build his brand. Surely for someone as famous as you he'd do it for free too, just ask him.

And I heard he was pissing off some other content products by doing it for free. Man kind of sounds like the age-group team eating at the pro's lunch. Regardless he does good work and triathlon is too small so how long before he jumps ship to Nascar or something else?

I don’t see why that’s an issue. If they’re getting paid they should be able to blow him out of the water in content and execution. If they aren’t and he’s doing better for almost nothing, then your business model has issues.
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:

Does your boss know that you are over here writing on this board? (Pink)

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
rjrankin wrote:
stevej wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:

Seems to me if you are: 1) fast, and 2) interesting, he will probably find you.

Are you either of those?

you seem like you know what you are talking about. do you have any tips or workouts that can help me get faster

For starters...... don't have a kid

Say you've already botched that step.....

epo???

I have a child, I can't afford that
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0.5/10.
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:

I spoke personally with Talbot yesterday, as there will be some stuff he, Kanute and I will be doing together in the coming weeks. (Maybe I could put in a good word for Dark Mark?)

But I can tell you, Talbot has a great business plan. I am impressed, and it is already working. And the stuff he is producing is very good, and consistent. He has recognized an angle and opening in the market, and has jumped on it. He has come a long ways from the goofy junior I remember in his racing days.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I don’t see why that’s an issue. If they’re getting paid they should be able to blow him out of the water in content and execution. If they aren’t and he’s doing better for almost nothing, then your business model has issues.

Couldn't agree more with you. I was more of just taking a jab at the pro's and other generic content products who are complaining in the circles I follow. Some of them are stepping up but the majority just complain instead of spending that energy on reinventing themselves or their companies..

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!! I don't know him but I can smell sarcasm from a mile away. Its too easy for him, its like someone gave the keyboard to all the grandpas in the world
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BryanD wrote:
The amount of people on here who don't know who Dark Mark is makes me laugh.

Someone trying to re-capture the comedy of the early days of TRS, but only achieving low-grade Pubes status.

Like Pubes but without the degree from Wellesley?

Pubes down in Logistics?

I’m happy to see the return of Mark to the forum. No rebranding or name changes or pivots to actual content - just Dark Mark.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

How many posts did you have before you and Gerlach had a crapload deleted from that one thread?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the video also feature the part of your training where you receive the tip??
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember.

Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 13, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
comments like these just crack me up. maybe because I am a millennial or maybe because I was lucky enough to receive higher education or because I read the news everyday, giving content away for "free" to gather future revenue is a very common/effective strategy that works in the present and has worked in the past. Not only is he obtaining a base of followers/clients in the future, he is creating strategic partnerships, he is showcasing products from companies like trek, specialized, nike etc.... which may come calling one day?? man I don't even wanna continue. maybe most would be better off speaking about triathlon. Also, look at ellie salthouse's instagram. He takes all her pics all over the world. I would not mind following her in sports clothes and a bathing suit all over the world for "free."
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Dark Mark wrote:

in point of fact, talbott's content, shared on slowtwitch, generates big traffic. so, some might sneer. some might be jealous. some might be cynical. but it's good, it's professiona, it works and, yes, it is valued by sponsors who are looking for athletes who'll do more than simply "use the product in training and racing". talbot's images and videos are widely viewed and shared, whenever we publish it or share it, on our home page, on the forum, or on our social channels.

those who are critical from behind their keyboards because they're jealous, or unequipped, are dismissed by the rank and file reader who engages in this sport as a break from the cynicism he's otherwise surrounded by.

Why do you bother? Frankly I am amazed that you allow him to post here at all.

I'll give you 3/10 on the troll-o-meter Mark. You can do better than this.

Based amount on the amount of coffee on my keyboard after reading some of the replies, I'm giving this one an 8 out of 10.

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: how to get talbot cox to shoot a training day video for me [hairypiernas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody is paying for it. That's obvious, he flies all over the place and has to eat. The question is whom, and then the editing takes time. If he's truly shooting Gwen and Rinny for free right now...there is an issue. Why? Because they are professionals and should pay for it.

Never work for free for a professional.

But as I said I like his stuff.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

But there's not a difference between having a pretty boring life and being active in an online community with 6556 posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do better than this.

Indeed - I thought Mark was the more talented of the Dark-Mark/Hobbs, "partnership".

What ever happened to Dear Ben? He seems to have disappeared. :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next