Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic?
Quote | Reply
So, petty much since about two weeks into the shutdown, say 1 April, it has been pretty much impossible to purchase weights locally or online. Does everyone think people will take their fitness serious going forward or will these end up being on Craigslist in the spring?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be mixed.

My company has many remaining remote. We have a nice work gym- but I’ll just keep to my basement most days. A lot of people I work with have been working out a lot more since travel was grounded. I think many of them will stick it.

That said I need 4 x 5lb 1” hole plates if anyone is throwing in the towel already.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just closed gyms again and I've been trying to buy stuff since April to no avail. There seem to be a few local companies that build racks in Phoenix, but you still need to get the weights and barbell.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jun 30, 20 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, petty much since about two weeks into the shutdown, say 1 April, it has been pretty much impossible to purchase weights locally or online. Does everyone think people will take their fitness serious going forward or will these end up being on Craigslist in the spring?

I don’t think it has anything to do with new people taking fitness seriously. It’s all the people who have been taking fitness seriously can’t go to their gym anymore they wanted their stuff at home.

Our workout stuff was already at home so we didn’t have to go buy new stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I definitely agree with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned a pretty decent garage gym for years now. It was only last year that I got the $10 a month YouFit gym membership so I could avoid some of the FL heat while training for the Marine Corps 50K. Being able to do some of the short and medium runs on a treadmill while watching Netflix was a life saver. The super high mileage of the Hal Higdon 50K program was really boring. And when I'm not training for something big I've got what I need for a pretty good strength training session at home. A squat rack is key. And mine was free which was really nice. Building up your equipment over time is easier on the wallet.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll be ordering a Concept 2 also.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned squat racks for the past 30 years. I've never had a gym membership, although my employer has a great gym. I usually use the squat racks November through February, dependent upon how much alpine skiing I'm doing.

I would guess lots of people will unload their newly acquired fitness equipment though. I think more people enjoy the camaraderie of a gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only belong to my gym for the pool. But since I have the membership I make use of the squat rack since I don’t have room for it at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope so because that is the only thing my basement is missing I am digging connecting with my Air Force son on workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can purchase a squat rack but it's going to be pretty much useless since I can't purchase the weights anywhere, everywhere I've looked the rubber plates are out of stock unless anyone has any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no suggestions on getting plates, but you don’t need plates to lift weight.

A duffel bag filled with sand is a fantastic thing to squat either on back yolk style or bear hug style. You can also do loaded carries with it.

Or if you have a barbell but no weight, you can just hang heavy chains off it, develops force acceleration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need a squat rack for the garage... keep us posted on your progress.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScoutMac187 wrote:
I've owned a pretty decent garage gym for years now. It was only last year that I got the $10 a month YouFit gym membership so I could avoid some of the FL heat while training for the Marine Corps 50K. Being able to do some of the short and medium runs on a treadmill while watching Netflix was a life saver...

This happened to me in 2018 or 2019. The Y saved my life and season. AC and one of those home renovation shows on the TV.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been craving something like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put in an order on amazon, looks like pretty much everything has a month out delivery window so I went cheap. Know someone that had the same model. A good bar and bumpers is gonna be rough, waiting for a store to get 45s inventoried and then they'll be at my house in a week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deeper question is: Who puts bikes in the attic?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
I can purchase a squat rack but it's going to be pretty much useless since I can't purchase the weights anywhere, everywhere I've looked the rubber plates are out of stock unless anyone has any suggestions.

The market for plates is insane. fwiw, I put myself on Rogue's waiting list (from their direct website) about two weeks ago, got notified a few days ago of a new batch, and now have an (expensive) shiny new batch of bumper plates in my garage.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 2, 20 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The deeper question is: Who puts bikes in the attic?

I'm with you on that. I opened this thread...just to figure out what THAT was all about. I didn't know that was a thing. However, reading the thread has not enlightened me in any way.

ETA: "Toys in the attic" I understand.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 2, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of people who don't ride but for whatever reason keep their bike around...then the pandemic happens, they take it to get fixed up at the LBS?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get all that....but, do people really put bikes into the attic? That would be a horrendous amount of work for MY attic stairs. I'm not sure it would even fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, that’s where the ghosts are

Trust me on this

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past month I’ve purchased the following simply by stalking the Rogue Fitness site: barbell, squat rack, full set of bumper plates, curl bar, dip bar, etc.

I’ve been moving toward home fitness for several years now but this pandemic pushed me to move the strength work to home as well. So glad I did. I’ve gotten more strength work in the last 3 months than the previous 12 probably. With 2 small kids being able to hit a good 30’ strength session has been huge.
Last edited by: triguy86: Jul 2, 20 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Plus, that’s where the ghosts are

Trust me on this

So really these people are making sure their ghosts stay fit...
Quote Reply
Re: Will squat racks in your garage become your bikes in the attic? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next