Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is your setup for running at night?
Quote | Reply
I'm determined to continue running outside this off-season. For me that will mean running either pre-dawn or after dark. What are your guys recommendations for things like headlamps and so on.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your setup for running at night? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reflective jacket, reflective material on my hat, and I just picked up a red LED slap bracelet.

I only run on lit streets at night, no need for a headlamp.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I go out at night I'll sometimes use a head lamp and will usually clip a blinking led to my jacket. When I run early in the morning, usually just the blinking led.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run almost exclusively in the dark (super early morning runner). I wear a Noxgear vest (lights up and is reflective), and a headlamp. The first to make me more visible to traffic/other people and the latter to light my way. I also usually run with others decked out in the same and run against traffic. There are also shoe lights and/or knuckle lights if you don't like headlamps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fenix HL60 headlamp. Crushes the competition in brightness, and equally importantly, has long runtime (runs on HIGH for 3+hrs legit so it will outlast you.)

Noxgear tracer. This thing looks weird but it will get you tons of attention, at all hours. Virtually every car that passes near me before 6AM will either slow down or stop completely just to see what the heck that weird light thing I'm wearing is. And that's what you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black diamond sprinter rechargeable. Headlight in front and blinking red in back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the tracer360 vest available on amazon. I bought it last year as I ran in the evenings very often and that seems like rush hour in my neighborhood. I run early in the morning as well, but usually don't wear any lights because I only see 1-3 cars that early. I have tried some Petzl headlamps, and they light my way well, but I do not like having those on my head when I run. I can usually barely see with the scattered street lights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need much light to see while running. I never wear any lights, get enough from the moon and/or residential lighting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use lights to be seen, not to see, so this may not help.

Amphipod Swift-Clip Cap Light on the front. https://www.rei.com/...swift-clip-cap-light

Nathan Strobelight in Red on the back of my hat. https://www.rei.com/...swift-clip-cap-light

Both are set to flash.

I love REI stuff, BTW.

I also wear a very bright yellow running shirt, one for cool weather and one for cold weather (that one is wind proof) but neither are reflective.

My shoes are actually reflective as well but that is just the way Mizuna shoes are made - I don't buy them with safety in mind.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What is your setup for running at night? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tree lined streets and little moon makes it very difficult to see. I run my usual routes all the time with no light, but a new route or anything off road or with the possibility of unexpected potholes/tree limbs/rocks/etc I would use a light. Better than a turned ankle
Quote Reply
Re: What is your setup for running at night? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an older version of this, helps to be seen a little bit and I've got an area or two near the house that I can't see anything unless the moon is out, and it is a perfect place to break an ankle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love my knuckle lights, have had both and feel the advanced ones are worth the money, more powerful and rechargeable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petzl tikka headlamp when it's really dark, and staying off roads and on paved paths when possible (not hard in Boston). Black ice+dark is the biggest winter threat to running here, and hard to have any headlight that you're completely confident will pick up on that combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All black everything. Don't be a target.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmill ;)

I try and get reflective stuff as much as possible or buy the reflective tape for exercise clothing.

A hand torch made for hiking or running and usually a flashing light somewhere on my body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOXgear

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your setup for running at night? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
I absolutely love my knuckle lights, have had both and feel the advanced ones are worth the money, more powerful and rechargeable.

Knuckle lights are nice because you can wave them around to get attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a cheap headlamp from Amazon/eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/...70061325&sr=8-56 (not the exact model, but mine [pictured below) is seven years old).

It claims 1000 lumens, comparing it to higher-end models I'd put it at a legit 800.

Reasonably light (only one battery, and the battery case is in the back for balance).

Works well when wet (I have a high sweat rate, and am drenched even on night runs)

There is a red "be seen" blinker at the back.

It has a hi/lo strobe option where it blinks at 1000/500 which is great for being seen without having trouble seeing ahead (no stop-action strobe effect).

Uses 1 18650 lithium ion battery (good life and won't lose charge sitting between runs).

It's also great for working on your car/bike, and can even be used on a bike helmet.

Regardless of which light you choose, get enough lumens. I've run with a 175 and 300lm headlamps and while it's workable, having 800lm is such a better experience. You can easily see the ground 10m ahead and can focus on running vs. trying to make out any ruts/cracks/holes/debris.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noxgear to be seen.

After 5 headlights, I'm settled on Black Diamond Sprinter to see and be seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do almost all my running in the dark. I run on a golf course, on the cart paths. Its perfect, and no need for reflective anything. I navigate with a run-of-the-mill headlamp. The only problem is the occasional spiders hanging out of a tree, raccoon or a skunk. But if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Oct 2, 19 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noxgear Tracer360 X6. I wholeheartedly agree with the other reviews. A friend of mine got me one because he almost ran over me one morning. After using it I got one for everyone in the house. Get it directly from the company. They do go on sale on Black Friday, etc. I wear a headlamp only to keep from stepping on roadkill in the dark. It's a really unique sensation you only want to do once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of running around 9pm on city streets or through neighborhoods and a golf course. I typically run with a nathan handheld light similar to this one

https://www.nathansports.com/...hand-torch-led-light

mine is a few years old so I dont think it is the same model. Its extremely bright and has a red flashing light on the back side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When running on the streets I use a Petzl Reactik+ with a Bontrager Flare R clipped to the back of it so I am seen from both directions. I also have some reflective bands that I will sometimes put around my ankles just for some added visibility. For bike and dirt trails typically just the above mentioned headlamp. Super bright with a bunch of different settings and good battery life. Also it doesn’t bounce around at all while running which I have had with some other headlamps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noxgear-Use on the bike at night as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blackdiamond Sprinter head torch - has a very decent LED front light plus a row of 5 red LED's on the back which can be set to steady or flash. I've been using for a couple of winters now in all weathers and it has held up very well to plenty of sweat, rain, snow etc...
Quote Reply

Prev Next