Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is your favorite recovery tool?
Quote | Reply
Massage gun? Recovery boots? Foam roller? Compex?

I’ve just ordered a massage gun. I have recovery boots and compex but just find I never want to get them setup after a long workout. I wish I had a pain cave where I would just leave the recovery boots out and setup for use.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High quality nutrition, sleep and getting outside for a walk in the woods. Anything else is burning $$$

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beer. Without or with alcohol, depending on if it's during the week or on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A snack and not moving for a while.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep. Easy to do, free, and works amazingly well. I find I don't need any fancy recovery expenses if I can consistently get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. With two young kids it's hard to do some nights, but when I can it does wonders.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
High quality nutrition, sleep and getting outside for a walk in the woods. Anything else is burning $$$

I always find these posts interesting and comical. I go out of my way to eat as well as I can and am content walking with my dogs for their exercise and my own stress relief - have done this for 20 years in the sport. Fact is, since I started using a massage gun regularly over the last 6 months I’ve felt better and move better than I did in the 5-10 years prior.

To the OP, a massage gun has been huge for me - I thought my days of moving without some sort of niggle were done, the hypervolt changed that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a comfortable bed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:

If you’re not burning $$$, are you actually a triathlete? /pink
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
RLB wrote:

I always find these posts interesting and comical. I go out of my way to eat as well as I can and am content walking with my dogs for their exercise and my own stress relief - have done this for 20 years in the sport. Fact is, since I started using a massage gun regularly over the last 6 months I’ve felt better and move better than I did in the 5-10 years prior.

To the OP, a massage gun has been huge for me - I thought my days of moving without some sort of niggle were done, the hypervolt changed that.

I get enough sleep. Walk my dogs 3 times a day albeit short walks. If time abs money was no object I would get a massage from a pro 3-4 days a week. I ordered an addaday massage gun which was less expensive. I’ll see how it feels and if I consistently use one.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
a comfortable bed.

Definitely a must. What type of bed do you have? We had a sleep number for a long time with the frame that adjusts up and down but it broke too many times. We got a tuft and needle bed in a box and have been happy with that although wife prefers a super soft bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foam Roller
Air Relax Pneumatic Compression Boots
Compex Sport elite Stimulator

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Sleep. Easy to do, free, and works amazingly well. I find I don't need any fancy recovery expenses if I can consistently get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. With two young kids it's hard to do some nights, but when I can it does wonders.

I believe this is the only answer to this thread. The human species used this as the fundamental recovery tool since we existed, so may as well roll with the flow and use that proven process.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - too many athletes that I coach want to know what the recovery secrets are. The low hanging fruit in ALL cases is sleep (duration, quality, hygiene, etc). The badge of honor of only getting 4-6 hours of sleep is pretty dumb IMO. For me personally, I can't workout (at least a higher intensity, or quality workout) past 8:00-8:30pm - if I do, I stare at my ceiling for hours on end. Then it turns into a vicious cycle in order to get up the next AM for the early morning swim, bike, or run. Curious if anyone else has that issue?

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:

I’ve just ordered a massage gun. I have recovery boots and compex but just find I never want to get them setup after a long workout. I wish I had a pain cave where I would just leave the recovery boots out and setup for use.

Interesting in that it seems I could have been the OP. I have those very same things and feel the same way. Like you I also walk the dog, eat very well and sleep 8-9 per night. It seems we're always looking for the solution when I think the combo is the cure. That said, thanks to the poster as to the massage gun, as I also have one on the way. 40 years of triathlon takes it's toll, but good training plans also help. Good luck.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The message gun has been the best purchase I have ever made for a recovery tool just behind my California king mattress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
a comfortable bed.

Definitely a must. What type of bed do you have? We had a sleep number for a long time with the frame that adjusts up and down but it broke too many times. We got a tuft and needle bed in a box and have been happy with that although wife prefers a super soft bed.

no idea. its a soft one, because my wife prefers a really soft bed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure it is measurably improving my recovery but I have a Theragun Mini massager that sure makes me feel better. If it breaks, I'll have a new one on order the next day.

Other than the massage gun, learning to listen to the cues of fatigue and adjusting accordingly has been incredibly helpful for me in terms of both progress and quality of life.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:

It depends on the activity. For general recovery, there are no 'tools' additionally required. Appropriate nutrition/hydration with extra protein for harder workouts in the vulnerable period immediately afterward is a given *(I usually aim for 30 gm 30-60 min afterwards)...and I will sometimes take a longer and warmer shower and stretch after shorter/faster efforts but this also doesn't fit in the toolbox. And enough rest, including sleep, prior to the next workout is also a given.

I do have 2 portable massage guns. Works quite well on the legs. I use them often. Also have a massage chair and one for the floor which I can work the PF out along with a tennis ball while watching TV. No recovery boots. DW (the wife) swears by her foam roller, but I hate it. I'd rather have her walk on my back to crack it and a nice bath works to loosen the muscles.

My favorite tool to hasten recovery is ice. I have ice packs loaded in the freezer and need them for my old knees/shins/ankles etc. Works well on tired, overworked muscles too. Also will do a modified 'ice bath' with really cold water from the shower-(legs down only*) for super long efforts. This has always helped recover from those wicked long trainer rides and I've done them after each of these: the mega Pretzel, uber Pretzel, PRL full and lots of Norseman races on Zwift.

I'll be doing it again tomorrow evening after our Basecamp ride...and again after v-Everesting next month...
Last edited by: dtoce: Feb 12, 21 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A double ipa and well balance meal and a gummy for some nice sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My compression boots. I really need to start using my massage gun more though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:

I mean they are very easy to get in if setup. If you put things away and fold neatly everytime I could see how this is a barrier to entry. Regardless they are all good tools and indispensable imho.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R8Recovery roller, high density foam roller, and naps

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Beer. Without or with alcohol, depending on if it's during the week or on the weekend.

100% beer a couple of colds relaxes you after a long day ,helps to rehydrate
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite recovery tool? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
daustin wrote:

I mean they are very easy to get in if setup. If you put things away and fold neatly everytime I could see how this is a barrier to entry. Regardless they are all good tools and indispensable imho.

It’s not a big barrier for sure. I have them in an ottoman next to my bed. I just get home. Eat something. Shower and nap. If I was smarter I would just set them up pre-workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people like to talk trash on recovery tools, but i'll happily buck their sentiment and say that expensive recovery tools are in no way useless and a waste of money. you cant measure their effects and put it on a spreadsheet. that doesnt mean they dont work.

i love my recovery boots. half my life i live at home, half my life i live at a remote work location (im extremely fortunate that i can train essentially the same at work or home). the half that im home and have my recovery boots i can tell a difference in the fatigue level in my legs versus when im at work. so much so that im saving my pennies for another set of boots for work.

hypervolt, really love it for certain points i have nagging trouble with. again, its not magic, but i can tell a difference when im using it versus not.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next