Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
What if he's actually doing nothing wrong but the competition at this "middle" distance with the prize purses that he's racing has just jumped up to the best fields in the world?

Nope.
Something's going on with him physically. Has to be.
He is a front pack WC/70.3 biker. Always has been.
He had the 20th fastest split in TX.
Something's going on we don't know about...

Yeah, something has to be up because he is literally getting worse when he should be progressing.. His Island house performance showed he had a big engine. Plus when he was doing superleague he was always a powerhouse on the bike. There's just no way that his weapons have completely fallen off, especially since it seems like his bike fit is the best it has ever been.

Much like in football, when things go bad the coach is the first to go.

Team Zoot 2023
Last edited by: aerobean: Sep 21, 22 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was a guest on How They Train Podcast just today!
He didn't really suggest there is anything wrong with him, his coach or training and he is firmly committed to becoming faster.

Imo, triathlon is simply getting faster and more competitive, everyone is turning over every single stone and it is simply harder to shine these days.

Dayoutsports.com.au| Australia's Newest Cycling and Tri Apparel Brand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if it’s a mental thing? What if he’s peaked as an athlete, I know plenty of athletes who never have “long” careers. You bring in football, the avg life of a pro is less than like 3.5 years.

Add the fact that his weakest leg is the most important and the depth of middle distance is so deep right now, it could be a whole bunch of issues that has zero to do with a coach.

Eta: like it can simply be he’s not good enough anymore. Full stop. No excuses, no slams, it’s just the reality, and that has nothing to do w a coach most of the time. Sometimes your best just isn’t good enough. I contend that’s likely way more accurate than he’s being coached wrong. So back to my point- the middle distance racing is now LOADED.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 21, 22 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What if it’s a mental thing? What if he’s peaked as an athlete, I know plenty of athletes who never have “long” careers. You bring in football, the avg life of a pro is less than like 3.5 years.

Add the fact that his weakest leg is the most important and the depth of middle distance is so deep right now, it could be a whole bunch of issues that has zero to do with a coach.

Eta: like it can simply be he’s not good enough anymore. Full stop. No excuses, no slams, it’s just the reality, and that has nothing to do w a coach most of the time. Sometimes your best just isn’t good enough. I contend that’s likely way more accurate than he’s being coached wrong. So back to my point- the middle distance racing is now LOADED.

Yeah, maybe that is the sad truth. As a fan of his maybe I was hoping there was something that could be done to flick the switch and make things better for him.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the point i was suggesting that the competition has gotten better. No longer is he able to get away on the swim and “hold on” on the run. There’s plenty of front pack swimmers who can sit on his feet now. Which means there is now a full group of athletes he has to contend with.

And then throw in the fact that we’ll if his run sucks, the only way to run better is to focus on it, which means at some point thr S and B need to take a back seat. Oh yeah but he’s still going to race world class fields in the middle of that training transformation. That could take 2 years, could take 7 years. There really isn’t an magical time oh yeah and throw in the fact that middle distance racing has gotten stronger and is it a coincidence that a guy like Kanute has struggled with stiffer competition?

ETA: A famous football coach once said to the fans bitching about his job...."the other team is trying to win too". Sometimes you gotta give them credit, where credit is due, and I certainly think the level of competition has increased. So maybe it is bad coaching, under performing, etc. I just think it's silly not to recognize we are in a golden era of elite middle distance racing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 21, 22 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
But it’s the coaches fault? That’s what this thread is saying.

Coach’s fault in that perhaps Kanute may be in need of a different stimulus, new ideas, new strategy. Gets out of the water firstish, blasts the bike and others draft off of him…and it seems he is holding on out in front less and less.
A coach may tweak his philosophy or perhaps try to change entirely but how much can he really change? Kanute has been with Vance for a decent amount of time. The Pendola/McGee stuff is kinda unorthodox to say the least.
I give him credit for not changing coaching because that does come with a huge transition period, which RvB is moaning about currently.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vance did have him do a run specific focus and that is when he was getting success. I remember him having compete in 1500m race where he did close to or under 4:00. Probably he hasnt done that recently
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say Eric Lagerstrom is falling off at all now. Two years ago probably but with his recent wins at 70.3 Santa Cruz, Xterra, and Escape from Alcatraz tells me that his new focus on off road racing and training is probably helping him alot.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
I wouldn't say Eric Lagerstrom is falling off at all now. Two years ago probably but with his recent wins at 70.3 Santa Cruz, Xterra, and Escape from Alcatraz tells me that his new focus on off road racing and training is probably helping him alot.

not deep fields
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:

I guess it’s all about perspective. Kanute gets into all of the big races while Lagerstrom does not, unless his mother in law is race director. In these big races Kanute is trying to have an impact. On an off year Lagerstrom places 7th at 70.3WC and is super stoked. Kanute is disappointed placing around that. Should he change to racing and hunting from the back and not lead out of the water? Again, he’s been at a certain level and has not continued the progression, by place or time.
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know they are not as deep of a field but even then he still has had top 10 finishes at Xterra worlds and 70.3 World Championships last year which is a big improvement from how he was performing in 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Ben does a lot of things right. He’s one of the fastest triathletes in the world.

The pointy end is just that… small and razor thin.

At that level I honestly think it’s largely genetics. Lionel is in the same boat, that it’s difficult to accept you might not have what it takes, but then again what a ride they’ve both been on. I have a world of respect for Ben for the success he has had and still being all in. I sure hope he hits it right and puts some more big wins on his resume.

He’s 10,000 times the athlete I am, so I certainly don’t have the ego to think I can critique his training or racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Yeah, maybe that is the sad truth. As a fan of his maybe I was hoping there was something that could be done to flick the switch and make things better for him.

Ok, so after reading this thread, I need to apply for unemployment soon, hahahaha! Let me answer and address some of the topics here, and questions, but I want to say that I am not here to make excuses, nor would Ben want to make any excuses, this is racing and you need to be ready on the start line. I'm simply answering the questions. I hope this helps people understand the complexities of professional racing, and balancing with family demands.

First, let me state the obvious:
  • Kanute's 2022 is his worst season of results under my coaching, and we're not happy about it
  • For a guy ranked 17th in the world ranking, and being an Olympian, he is a victim of his own success, where the spotlight is a little bigger on him, so his sub par results are magnified
  • No, he has not been injured. He has NOT missed a single workout this season due to physical injury, (other than sickness).
  • There is no question that the sport's competitive level is the highest it has ever been, especially long course, and you can't make mistakes if you want to be in contention for the podium.

Next, let me fill in some of the things which have set us back:
  • January, wife gets covid, have to basically manage the toddler on his own for about a week. Then toddler gets covid. Then he got covid. This all progressed about 2-3 weeks, where training couldn't be prioritized, he had to be there for his family. And when he got covid, we were down another 2 weeks.
  • February, wife gets flu so bad, he has to take her to the hospital. Making things even more stressful, she was pregnant, and they hadn't told anyone. Once again, he had to be a dad, and take on full toddler duties and support his bed-ridden wife, so lost another 7-10 days of training.
  • Somehow, the rest and recovery seemed to be a blessing, went to Miami, Oceanside and St Anthony's, and had very solid races, and we felt excited about the season ahead. But the likely truth is the rest and recovery allowed him to hide a lack of base, especially for so early in the season. I believe we are still battling this, and I also believe it is quite possible he is experiencing some long covid symptoms, as his recovery abilities seemed to have regressed, and some of his race performances didn't make sense.
  • Chattanooga and Alcatraz had us so puzzled, but he was so run down, the doctors put him on antibiotics, and he finally turned the corner in late June. So something was going on that we couldn't account for.
  • This is the first season where Kanute hasn't had to balance World Triathlon and Olympic pursuits. He was able to create his full schedule and focus on PTO, 70.3 races, and a few focus events like Alcatraz. With this, we shifted the training to a bit more volume, and trying to take the next step in his 70.3 performances. While this seems simple and easy, it really meant a lot of new variables and a new training approach, which at times created a scenario where I was not in sync with him and his recovery needs.
  • Coming into Chattanooga, he was going great, and we felt good about it, but I overcooked him. I had changed to more of a "recovery on demand" approach, (in contrast to our usual approach, which Ben outlined in the How They Train podcast), which required more and better communication for us to be effective. This was new for us, and we didn't execute it as well we should have, (Ben and I are in agreement on this). Now we have returned more to a structured and predicted rest phase, and he is responding well. But it was more of a challenge focusing on 70.3 than he and I expected, given the other variables we've had this season with covid, etc. I basically had to relearn a lot about him this season, and I took much of it for granted.
  • Over the last 12-16 weeks, he has put in a lot of great work, and I thought he would have a good showing at Dallas, with the heat prep we did, and he almost did. We are closer, but not good enough. Collins Cup was actually a positive step forward, but he took a lot of risk on the bike, which he probably wasn't ready for, but had nothing to lose.

Let me touch on a few other topics:
  • Hoka is Ben's sponsor, and they have been wonderful to him. Did he sacrifice and potentially lose some places in races due to Hoka compared to the super shoes of other athletes? Yes, I believe so. (Miami, Oceanside, St A's are potential races). But Ben is loyal, and he waited for Hoka, and they have delivered a super shoe, which our initial testing has been much better than we even expected. You will see more on this in the future.
  • It's not a mental thing with Kanute. He is the most mentally healthy and prepared athlete I've ever worked with.
  • Having Bobby McGee and Matt Pendola on staff for me has been wonderful. They fill coaching gaps I have. If you're a coach or athlete looking for breakthroughs, I would encourage you to consider their programs (SHAMELESS PLUG CLICK HERE)
One of the things I told Ben when he and I first started together, was that he needed to not bury himself in training, and simply stay healthy, come to the start line ready to express fitness. In 7 years together, we have had only 1 injury, (post 2018, torn adductor from Super League Mallorca, last race of the year). Really incredible when you think about it. I told him he needed to force the other athletes to take crazy risk in training to catch up, and we didn't really think many could do it successfully. Since then we have had a few pop up, like Sam Long, RVB. But even they have struggled with health and consistency. Even Brownlees, Norwegians, Jan, etc, have struggled at times with consistently staying healthy. Kanute has missed zero starts in 7 years. Does that matter if we aren't fit enough to win? If he performs at a high level, that will extend his career, whether win or podium, and we haven't done well enough lately, but each start line is a new opportunity.

So I appreciate all the calls for him to fire me, hahaha! If Ben decides that, I understand, this is a results oriented business. If you think he isn't good enough, or he's on a downward trajectory of his career, I think people need to realize he is only 29. There is a lot in front of him, and we will continue to adapt.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Last edited by: JimVance: Sep 23, 22 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the How They Train episode a listen. Skip to 50 minutes in and hear what he has to say about his recent performances. Much better answers to the question than the armchair quarter-backing on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
I know they are not as deep of a field but even then he still has had top 10 finishes at Xterra worlds and 70.3 World Championships last year which is a big improvement from how he was performing in 2020.

That's because he changed coach . oh wait he did not...
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time and energy to respond.

Speculation sucks.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
aerobean wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Ok, so after reading this thread, I need to apply for unemployment soon, hahahaha! Let me answer and address some of the topics here, and questions, but I want to say that I am not here to make excuses, nor would Ben want to make any excuses, this is racing and you need to be ready on the start line. I'm simply answering the questions. I hope this helps people understand the complexities of professional racing, and balancing with family demands.

• Kanute's 2022 is his worst season of results under my coaching, and we're not happy about it
  • For a guy ranked 17th in the world ranking, and being an Olympian, he is a victim of his own success, where the spotlight is a little bigger on him, so his sub par results are magnified
  • No, he has not been injured. He has NOT missed a single workout this season due to physical injury, (other than sickness).
  • There is no question that the sport's competitive level is the highest it has ever been, especially long course, and you can't make mistakes if you want to be in contention for the podium.

• January, wife gets covid, have to basically manage the toddler on his own for about a week. Then toddler gets covid. Then he got covid. This all progressed about 2-3 weeks, where training couldn't be prioritized, he had to be there for his family. And when he got covid, we were down another 2 weeks.
  • February, wife gets flu so bad, he has to take her to the hospital. Making things even more stressful, she was pregnant, and they hadn't told anyone. Once again, he had to be a dad, and take on full toddler duties and support his bed-ridden wife, so lost another 7-10 days of training.
  • Somehow, the rest and recovery seemed to be a blessing, went to Miami, Oceanside and St Anthony's, and had very solid races, and we felt excited about the season ahead. But the likely truth is the rest and recovery allowed him to hide a lack of base, especially for so early in the season. I believe we are still battling this, and I also believe it is quite possible he is experiencing some long covid symptoms, as his recovery abilities seemed to have regressed, and some of his race performances didn't make sense.
  • Chattanooga and Alcatraz had us so puzzled, but he was so run down, the doctors put him on antibiotics, and he finally turned the corner in late June. So something was going on that we couldn't account for.
  • This is the first season where Kanute hasn't had to balance World Triathlon and Olympic pursuits. He was able to create his full schedule and focus on PTO, 70.3 races, and a few focus events like Alcatraz. With this, we shifted the training to a bit more volume, and trying to take the next step in his 70.3 performances. While this seems simple and easy, it really meant a lot of new variables and a new training approach, which at times created a scenario where I was not in sync with him and his recovery needs.
  • Coming into Chattanooga, he was going great, and we felt good about it, but I overcooked him. I had changed to more of a "recovery on demand" approach, (in contrast to our usual approach, which Ben outlined in the How They Train podcast), which required more and better communication for us to be effective. This was new for us, and we didn't execute it as well we should have, (Ben and I are in agreement on this). Now we have returned more to a structured and predicted rest phase, and he is responding well. But it was more of a challenge focusing on 70.3 than he and I expected, given the other variables we've had this season with covid, etc. I basically had to relearn a lot about him this season, and I took much of it for granted.
  • Over the last 12-16 weeks, he has put in a lot of great work, and I thought he would have a good showing at Dallas, with the heat prep we did, and he almost did. We are closer, but not good enough. Collins Cup was actually a positive step forward, but he took a lot of risk on the bike, which he probably wasn't ready for, but had nothing to lose.

• Hoka is Ben's sponsor, and they have been wonderful to him. Did he sacrifice and potentially lose some places in races due to Hoka compared to the super shoes of other athletes? Yes, I believe so. (Miami, Oceanside, St A's are potential races). But Ben is loyal, and he waited for Hoka, and they have delivered a super shoe, which our initial testing has been much better than we even expected. You will see more on this in the future.
  • It's not a mental thing with Kanute. He is the most mentally healthy and prepared athlete I've ever worked with.
  • Having Bobby McGee and Matt Pendola on staff for me has been wonderful. They fill coaching gaps I have. If you're a coach or athlete looking for breakthroughs, I would encourage you to consider their programs (SHAMELESS PLUG CLICK HERE)
One of the things I told Ben when he and I first started together, was that he needed to not bury himself in training, and simply stay healthy, come to the start line ready to express fitness. In 7 years together, we have had only 1 injury, (post 2018, torn adductor from Super League Mallorca, last race of the year). Really incredible when you think about it. I told him he needed to force the other athletes to take crazy risk in training to catch up, and we didn't really think many could do it successfully. Since then we have had a few pop up, like Sam Long, RVB. But even they have struggled with health and consistency. Even Brownlees, Norwegians, Jan, etc, have struggled at times with consistently staying healthy. Kanute has missed zero starts in 7 years. Does that matter if we aren't fit enough to win? If he performs at a high level, that will extend his career, whether win or podium, and we haven't done well enough lately, but each start line is a new opportunity.

So I appreciate all the calls for him to fire me, hahaha! If Ben decides that, I understand, this is a results oriented business. If you think he isn't good enough, or he's on a downward trajectory of his career, I think people need to realize he is only 29. There is a lot in front of him, and we will continue to adapt.

Awesome response, glad to hear some truth spill into this thread and really interesting insights you have pointed out. Hoping Ben can turn things around soon!

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
aerobean wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Thank you for shedding some light on the situation. Hope to see Ben on some podiums soon and excited to see what Hoka has developed.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really thoughtful writeup, Jim, way more than the wild speculators here deserved. Thanks for sharing that through your coach's lens, as it helped remind me the perspective that's needed when athletes shift their focus. Ben didn't become the athlete he is overnight, nor is he going to be able to become mid-distance (70.3/100k) focused overnight. I also hope the folks here recognize how much work goes in to keeping an athlete so healthy for so long - wow. I didn't realize Ben has been without injury in 7 years (touch wood), that is absolutely awesome and a testament to how well you two work together. Super cool, and thanks again for sharing all of that.

PS - the link in your shameless plug isn't working for me. :)

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty impressed with Ben's poise on the How They Train podcast with maintaining his commitment to the process and hard work as the path back to the podium - as opposed to a lot of pro's who try to reinvent the wheel after a bad result of two. Hoping for a great performance at 70.3 Worlds this year! And pretty interested to follow whenever he decides to jump in the 140.6 ring! Sounds like he's considering it in the next year or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimcyclesprint wrote:
PS - the link in your shameless plug isn't working for me. :)
How about: https://www.pendolaproject.com/team
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That one works, thank you!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is Ben Kanute doing wrong? [swissalps88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be for sure giving that episode a listen. Also hoping for a great performance at Worlds, will be excited to watch!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fully agree, what a great write-up! Keeping my fingers crossed for him; he is such a great guy and a wonderful ambassador for the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome reply, thanks for the insights! Also listened to How they train podcast today
Quote Reply

Prev Next