Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Water filtration?
Quote | Reply
To what extent do you filter your water?

There are people into reverse osmosis filtration for their entire house. There are those that drink only bottled water. Etc.

OK. So filtered water is better.

But given that we swim regularly, to what extent do you go out of your way for filtered water?

Do you see a measurable benefit or is it mental?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve made it 47 years so far with water straight from the tap and have no plans to change. I think there’s some kind of filter on water line into the fridge so I guess my ice cubes are filtered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in the UK at least, our tap water is potable (even toilets are flushed with clean water) so I generally stick to that (tap, not toilet...). However, I do like drinking from a Britta filter purely for the taste
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the taste of RO filtered water. Obviously the system removes many impurities from the water, but I'm not sure how one measures the benefit of drinking filtered water -- that probably depends on what you'd be drinking if the water weren't filtered. Each of us ingests plenty of impurities in our food and in the air we breathe, so...
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
I prefer the taste of RO filtered water. Obviously the system removes many impurities from the water, but I'm not sure how one measures the benefit of drinking filtered water -- that probably depends on what you'd be drinking if the water weren't filtered. Each of us ingests plenty of impurities in our food and in the air we breathe, so...

RO and Distilled water are probably not any healthier than tap water. You do need some of the minerals that are dissolved in water, and both methods remove those minerals. They might taste better, but that's a personal preference thing. When tap water tastes like chlorine, I'll drink filtered or bottle water, but distilled water tastes off to me, because I'm used to tasting the minerals in normal water. Most bottled drinking water has minerals added back into after the purification process. Often the difference in flavor from one brand of bottled water to another is the differences in the minerals in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Route66 wrote:

RO and Distilled water are probably not any healthier than tap water. You do need some of the minerals that are dissolved in water, and both methods remove those minerals. They might taste better, but that's a personal preference thing. When tap water tastes like chlorine, I'll drink filtered or bottle water, but distilled water tastes off to me, because I'm used to tasting the minerals in normal water. Most bottled drinking water has minerals added back into after the purification process. Often the difference in flavor from one brand of bottled water to another is the differences in the minerals in the water.

I tried bottled RO water. One downside is an absence of minerals or anything in the water and has the possibility of "leeching" or "draining" the body of minerals, etc. I asked the person who swore by RO and they said to take supplements... It also produces waste water during the production of clean water at home.

The incremental gain of a better quality water over tap water probably only makes a difference for a person on the margins of good/bad health. And then it may only be mental thing, which isn't a bad thing.

The taste benefit of filtered water could be significant if it leads us to drink more "good tasting" water vs non-water drinks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my water that I have a lot of iron at home, drinking it without filters is not possible. It seems to drink with fine metal chips to taste. A week ago, they brought me a filter iSpring WGB32B. It looks good, in a week I will sign off how he shows himself in his work.

I have to use special pills even for a washing machine so that it does not break on such an amount of iron.
Last edited by: Liam659: Jun 11, 19 1:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

The incremental gain of a better quality water over tap water

You keep saying this like it's a fact. Evidence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tap water. We have good quality city water. During the summer I’ll fill up a Brita just so it can go in the fridge

If I was out in the boonies, it would depend on the water quality of our well water.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
There are those that drink only bottled water. Etc.

bottled water is the devil

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 month old filter vs new one. My metropolitan water supply.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally unnecessary to filter tap water in most parts of USA, Canada, AUS, NZ, UK, Scandinavia, etc.

There are a few exceptions - i.e. Like my car, I prefer unleaded vs. the stuff the serve in Flint, MI.

In general I feel safer drinking tap water than bottled water. Most jurisdictions have very stringent testing standards for tap water. Its tested daily, weekly, monthly. Bottles water has far less testing on it by the company, and vert little little independent oversight / testing by regulatory agencies.

Nothing wrong with activated carbon or RO membranes. Generally. Except most people I know keep the filters way too long. Or go away for 2 weeks and leave the system to stagnate. Then they keep using it after it has bio-growth. Usually not harmful but pretty pointless.

I am also not a fan of drinking from plastic bottles. Particularly if the bottle ever got warm. I'm trying to cut down on my VOC intake.
https://www.cbc.ca/...water-study-1.605134
https://www.today.com/...-experts-say-t132687

credentials: Chemical Engineer who spent a number of years employed by GE building, commissioning and operating ultra-high-purity water treatment systems for semiconductor industries.

P.S. At least we are not having the discussion about tap vs. bottled vs. filtered water instead of the magical properties of ASEA Water. Anyone remember that shitefest? https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=asea#p3807244

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:

What I notice is that the water tastes the same wherever I go using my Berkey. Even at home, there are times when they flush the lines or do something where the residents to the town notice that the water tastes different.

The incremental gain was my mocking all the incremental gains we seek elsewhere.

I know tap water has chlorine, etc and the Berkey takes out the bad and leaves in the good. A problem with RO water is we need some minerals in the water or it could leach us of minerals.

Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Generally unnecessary to filter tap water in most parts of USA, Canada, AUS, NZ, UK, Scandinavia, etc.

There are a few exceptions - i.e. Like my car, I prefer unleaded vs. the stuff the serve in Flint, MI.

In general I feel safer drinking tap water than bottled water. Most jurisdictions have very stringent testing standards for tap water. Its tested daily, weekly, monthly. Bottles water has far less testing on it by the company, and vert little little independent oversight / testing by regulatory agencies.

Nothing wrong with activated carbon or RO membranes. Generally. Except most people I know keep the filters way too long. Or go away for 2 weeks and leave the system to stagnate. Then they keep using it after it has bio-growth. Usually not harmful but pretty pointless.

I am also not a fan of drinking from plastic bottles. Particularly if the bottle ever got warm. I'm trying to cut down on my VOC intake.
https://www.cbc.ca/...water-study-1.605134
https://www.today.com/...-experts-say-t132687

credentials: Chemical Engineer who spent a number of years employed by GE building, commissioning and operating ultra-high-purity water treatment systems for semiconductor industries.

P.S. At least we are not having the discussion about tap vs. bottled vs. filtered water instead of the magical properties of ASEA Water. Anyone remember that shitefest? https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=asea#p3807244

My friend, who supervised water sampling for the CDC has no problem with what I am doing.

Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
IT wrote:
There are those that drink only bottled water. Etc.

bottled water is the devil

Bottled water might be a necessary evil sometimes. Pool water is the devil. Now wonder Jason enjoys tap water in comparison.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:

What I notice is that the water tastes the same wherever I go using my Berkey. Even at home, there are times when they flush the lines or do something where the residents to the town notice that the water tastes different.

The incremental gain was my mocking all the incremental gains we seek elsewhere.

I know tap water has chlorine, etc and the Berkey takes out the bad and leaves in the good. A problem with RO water is we need some minerals in the water or it could leach us of minerals.

So a word salad is your evidence?
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:

Like the picture provided above, I have the same filtration system (white Berkey filters). One can see the filter and I taste the difference.

Enjoy your tap water. It seems to be working for you. Don't change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
IT wrote:

Like the picture provided above, I have the same filtration system (white Berkey filters). One can see the filter and I taste the difference.

Enjoy your tap water. It seems to be working for you. Don't change.

So it's just your personal preference. That's not "better quality". That's just what you like. Present it as such. The picture above is evidence of nothing at all unless you count your confirmation bias.
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Son of a bitch, I asked about this water awhile back and got no response, someone trying to sell it to my wife. That was a classic thread if there ever was one, even got locked by dan after 11 pages!! I wish someone had pointed me to it about 6 months ago when I asked, but we politely declined anyway. One thing I did do was take a swig of the stuff, salty, chlorine, and I had a very upset stomach later. But of course they tell you that is to be expected, it is just cleaning you out. The more you are sick from it, the more you need it!!!

Thanks for posting that, dont know why it never came up in my search..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I see no point in risking something being up with the tap water however slim the chances of that being are. Water is pretty great, the cleaner the better for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current refrigerator has through the door filtered water. That is the only reason my family drinks filtered water, because it is there. We change the filter with the little red reminder comes on.

I don't notice any difference and will drink out of the bathroom sink or garden hose after a hot workout without even thinking about it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
What is the purpose of these pictures for comparison?

Are you implying this picture demonstrates your tap water is good, bad or is it just a piece of artwork?

That picture tells me almost nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a bunch of things to consider.

Whole house filtration can be a little insane because then you are filtering your water for clothes washing and toilet flushing and outdoor watering, etc.

However, if you there are any organic solvents in your water (many many places in the usa that use well water have various solvents in the water, gasoline, benzene, TCA, and many many others) then you should be aware that often you can get a bigger dose of solvents in a daily tap water hot shower (via respiration) than you can in drinking the same tap water.

Water filtration is good. BUT, do you know much about where your water comes from? Is it from a river, from a well, from a lake, from a resevoir? Which one exactly? Can you post that info? By knowing that, you can probably make a much better decision on how to treat your drinking water and how important it is to do it.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Water filtration? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:
What is the purpose of these pictures for comparison?

Are you implying this picture demonstrates your tap water is good, bad or is it just a piece of artwork?

That picture tells me almost nothing.
It shows stuff in my water supply I didn’t drink. That is all... sheesh!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next