Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO.....
Quote | Reply
I have a triathlete friend that is bashing Vegans saying they are not as strong as meat eaters and the vegan diet sucks. I told her to watch Netflix "Game Changers" and "What The Health". Please give me some ammunition. I am a vegan triathlete. I don't want to start an argument, I just want to names of athletes that made it work and are top in their field in S/B/R.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Jan Frodeno is a vegetarian (or maybe even vegan?) and on top of that he does not talk much about it

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

depends on what kind of vegan.

Last edited by: buzz: Jan 23, 20 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the stupid "debate" wont end well. my suggestion is to just tell your friend that he can eat whatever he wants and let others eat whatever they want and be done with it.

if he thinks being an omnivore will make him faster then fantastic... he will be kicking all the protein deficient vegans asses out there on the course.

seriously... who cares.

that said, ive been vegan since last june and ive never been fitter and healthier, but this diet choices doesnt seem to work for everyone.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Jan 23, 20 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last 5 Ironman world championships were won by vegetarians.

It's just two guys and not sure if Frodeno was vegetarian during all his wins, but that factoid sounds good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vegans more so whole food plant based athletes get pretty much all they need without too much worry, when you eat vegan and processed food then you open up to not enough protein and other issues. Some of what GC showed wasnt whole foods like the football players were eating processed vegan food. Just like any diet when meat or no animal eating wholes foods is key

lots of vegan and non vegan athletes are killing it dont need to use that to justify

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/...h-vegansvsmeateaters
Last edited by: Trimeon: Jan 23, 20 7:42
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Not only vegan, but German also I believe? The Germans have dominated Kona in recent years. So being Vegan and German gives you much better odds of winning Kona lol.

thats a good point... im going to convert to germanism. i cant wait for all the new PRs!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I have a triathlete friend that is bashing Vegans saying they are not as strong as meat eaters and the vegan diet sucks. I told her to watch Netflix "Game Changers" and "What The Health". Please give me some ammunition. I am a vegan triathlete. I don't want to start an argument, I just want to names of athletes that made it work and are top in their field in S/B/R.

Thanks,

There is no argument to be had....The body of work (studies, research currently) have shown there is no advantage of being a vegan, vegetarian or meat eater......in other words there is no advantage in endurance performance. Its a wash between the 3.

Frodo is not the best in the world because he doesn't eat meat but its not holding him back either.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the diet of the female Kona winners?

One thing that irks me aside from the pseudo science in the game changers mockumentary, regards the "world's strongest man". He is not world's strongest man by far and would get embarrassed in a real WSM competition. So what does he do? Picks strong person circus acts with low participation. Just like akin to runners doing the 400m WR in ski boots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:

Thanks,

Cannot compute.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a plant based triathlete. But, to answer your question there is no way to win that argument. People I work with and know are amazed I don't eat meat and think I'm crazy because "how do I get my protein" hahahaha. I just tell them it makes me feel really good and I enjoy eating veggies and fruits. If you want a name to tell them Rich Roll is pretty damn good one. That guy is freaking amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if you were willing to have a constructive discussion instead of looking for talking points from strangers on the internet, netflix documentaries (that are not biased at all /s) and anecdotal evidence of "powerhouse triathletes, swimmers, cyclists and runners" your conversations will be much more pleasant. If you want to ignore my advice you should listen to the Joe Rogan Podcast where James Wilks debates Chris Kresser on the Game Changers and you then can scream at your nemesis for not knowing how to read a forest plot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't believe the hype or propaganda based movies. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone. More important than the dietary label and supporting ideology is just eating food with as little processing as possible. You can get a "vegan approved" or "paleo approved" bar, beverage or meal that is pumped full of crap. Cut out the processed crap, remove labels, and figure out what works for you, or your buddy. This probably doesn't help you support your position at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not surprised seeing the bashing vegans got in your other thread ...

I don’t know if you’re ever going to convince these people otherwise. I don’t know anyone who would sit and read a book or watch a film about a topic they don’t respect or have a curiosity about. If you feel that the bashing is affecting you and your confidence in being a vegan, remember that there are plenty of elite and professional athletes who do very well on a vegan diet. Here’s a list that google gave me ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/...hanged-their-diet-11

Game changers talked about the cultural perception that it is necessary to be on a meat based diet to be healthy and strong, and I believe that a lot of people carry on this thinking. When I think of amazing vegan athletes I think of Scott Jurek. I only watched Game Changers because he is in it. I read his book Eat and Run when it was first released and that convinced me that it’s possible to perform at an elite level on a vegan diet. I’d recommend reading his book (it’s also got a lot of recipes, but I remember you mentioned that you don’t like cooking much?)

Anyway don’t let the naysayers get under your skin. If she continues to bash you and vegans - then I’d just not even bother to engage in a conversation about it with her, you’re just hitting your head against a brick wall.

(Sorry I don’t have a name of a vegan triathlete, but yes apparently Frodo is vegetarian).
Last edited by: snail: Jan 23, 20 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I stated in a previous post, I am a plant based athlete. The Game Changers documentary was in my opinion not the best thing for the plant based movement. It was kind of corny with the whole gladiator deal and some of the other things were just odd. I eat plant based because it makes me feel really good. I have tried every other diet on the planet and this is the only one that has helped me with a lot of medical issues I've had for 20+ years. I don't do it because I think I have some advantage over people who don't eat plant based. If you are eating a plant based diet for the sole purpose of being a better athlete then you probably need to rethink it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but..... Game Changers had Arnold Schwarzenegger endorsing it, so that is close enough to God endorsing it. Just sayin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
Yeah, but..... Game Changers had Arnold Schwarzenegger endorsing it, so that is close enough to God endorsing it. Just sayin.

How long have you been vegan?

Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
When I think of amazing vegan athletes I think of Scott Jurek. I only watched Game Changers because he is in it. I read his book Eat and Run when it was first released and that convinced me that it’s possible to perform at an elite level on a vegan diet.

I put off reading Eat and Run because I thought it was some sort of diet book. It's actually his autobiography and was a really good read. I enjoyed it and I'm far from a vegan. In fact, my lunch was carnivore. I went to campus dining and all that looked good to me was steak and chicken, so that's all I had. Carnivore dieters are loopier than vegans, btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Honnold (not a triathlete, but one of the best free solo climbers in the world I think).

Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 years ago it was gluten free. Now it's vegan. Plenty of amazing vegan and non-vegan athletes.

My two cents is this: you're obviously are doing great on a vegan diet and your friend is doing great eating meat. But you're both actually on the same 'team' and that's wanting to get faster. So you've got more in common than you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [Smokeythebandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smokeythebandit wrote:
5 years ago it was gluten free. Now it's vegan. Plenty of amazing vegan and non-vegan athletes.

My two cents is this: you're obviously are doing great on a vegan diet and your friend is doing great eating meat. But you're both actually on the same 'team' and that's wanting to get faster. So you've got more in common than you think.

I feel I do need to push back on the whole 'veganism is just a fad' idea.

People went gluten free entirely for their own health reasons, nothing more. The majority of vegans I know (which is a lot) switched either for animal welfare ethics or because of a wish to reduce their carbon footprint. Those reasons will always be there and so the idea that veganism is a fad is, in my opinion, misplaced.

I do agree that the people who switch diets purely seeking performance gains are unlikely to stick to veganism as it is a tough diet to maintain, especially if you travel a lot (airports are mostly vegan wastelands).

From a personal perspective, I switched 3 years ago (aged 49) and have been getting faster each year - for me that is just a bonus for adopting a diet that feels right for me from an ethical perspective.
Last edited by: kjwcanary: Jan 24, 20 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been able to find a Chipotle in most major airports, which makes finding a solid, filling vegan meal not too bad. Outside of a burrito place though, I'm not sure where I'd look.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultramarathoner Scott Jurick, sprinter Carl lewis
Quote Reply

Prev Next