Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason you're being such an asshole? Give it a rest, you've made your point.

"I learned from the example of my father that the manner in which one endures what must be endured is more important than the thing that must be endured"

http://myfirstironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [thenewguy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Check out the local swap meets.

2. file a police report.

3. Contact homeowner's insurance/Renter's Insurance (be prepared to pay an additinal $1,000.00 just for the deductible)

4. Don't let the people who thought you were stupid for speniding that much on the bike know anything about what happened. Tell them there was a scratch in the paint and you sent it back, because for that much money, it shouldn't have a scratch!!!

5. Wish LOTS of bad karma towards the bastard who selfishly stole your bike.

Jason

(P.S. - and consider a Trek 1000 for commuting to work and back)

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry for your loss. Bummer.

I didn't read all the posts, but did you consider that the bike thief didn't pass by that one guard house w/ your bike?? Perhaps the thief took the bike from the rack and directly into the back of his/her car parked in your garage! That would explain why the guard never saw it.
Can you check the video camera footage in the garage??
Cheers,
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in SaMo for 10 yrs before moving east.
Its a great area,mostly super affluent young folks and a lot of homeless,almost nothing in between.
I'm thinking that the guard had something to do w/ this.

I wouldn't be surprised if he called a buddy once he saw your bike and worked it up.Seriously!

If the lot was a typical 3 story one, and you say that your car was that close to the guard shack, there's no way he would not have heard all that noise.Was it on a Thule w/ a lock? I imagine a $5K bike would.

Sorry for the loss bro! Where in SM did this happen?

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a frame serial number? If so get it published!

Last edited by: El Kabong: Sep 9, 05 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An associate of the guard took it. He sees it, shares the info, and looks the other way when the deed is done. Any video from your building or any other adjacent buildings? How about down the block? You should talk to security staff at the surrounding buildings and have them view their outside video with you for that time period. I bet you see your bike ride away and you'll have a picture...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss. I ask this next question not to rub it in, but to maybe help.
How was it locked up? Did the thief have to struggle with a lock with bolt cutters or a pry bar?
I think the "guard" maybe in on it too. If the thief really had to work on the lock, he should of been seen doing so.

Just to let you know, I do have a 2001 P3 for sale, if you're in the market.;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm actually curious what kind of lock you used to secure it...i'd think with the rear-wheel cut out it might make it tricky to find a good lock.

do you carry a computer to work or anything? can't imagine how i would carry my work bag in the aero position to work each day....unless you put paniers on it too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, renter's insurance will cover it.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hang on guys. I see no issue with keeping the most expensive bike on the planet on a bike rack in plain view of security guards.

A bike is a transportation tool. For years, I have left my high end machines in front of the grocery stores, banks, work, corner store etc etc. I feel bad that his P3C was stolen, but there is no point owning a nice machine and not using it cause you are afraid that it will be stolen.

If you can leave a $6000 car in the parking lot, you can leave a $6000 bike in the same place. I really see no difference. They are both just ways of getting around and happen to be of the same value, so why treat them any differently.

While I don't have a P3C, my P3SL gets parked everywhere :-). Living in fear of thieves, rapists and terrorists is no way to live. I'd rather risk loss and death than have them curtail my freedom...but that is just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can leave a $6000 car in the parking lot, you can leave a $6000 bike in the same place. I really see no difference. They are both just ways of getting around and happen to be of the same value, so why treat them any differently.

Because you cant pick up a 6000 dollar car and quietly place it in the back seat of a 1988 Chevy Caprice Classic.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what if you can't put it in the back of a car ? The whole point is that if you have an expensive bike, then use it for what it is intended for...ie RIDING. No point owning a nice machine and keeping it parked in the basement of your house. If you do that, then the thieves have effectively "stolen your bike", in that they are taking away your riding opportunities.

Anyway, you can live life in fear of thieves etc or just go out and enjoy life. Yes, sometimes you get hit, but a bike, no matter how expensive is replaceable. Your freedom is there to be had. If you decide to take it away from yourself in a free society, then it is your loss.

I'm not from the US, but as they say in New Hampshire, "LIVE FREE OR DIE"

newguy, I am sure your machine will resurface and I agree with others that the guard may have some link in this whole thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There's a big difference. The equivalent of a $6000 bike is not a $6000 car. It's more like a $120,000 car. How many Bentleys do you see in the grocery store parking lot?
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...if they are both $6000, then they are both worth the same. A $120,000 Bentley is worth 20 P3C's or 20 $6000 cars. This is why I would never buy an expensive car. I'd rather have nice bikes to ride and money to travel the world then paying extra for leather seats in a car :-). Then again, I put more miles on bikes than cars, so I treat them both as transportation devices. Each time I have to spend $400 on car repairs, I see it as lost bike parts or lost airfare to go visit someplace nice...
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should bring up a Bentley. By coincidence, my bike was parked just a stone's throw away from one in the garage yesterday. Nice looking ride.

"I learned from the example of my father that the manner in which one endures what must be endured is more important than the thing that must be endured"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you check the trunk of the Bentley? The P3C could fit in there... Never trust the rich.

;) ;) ;)
;) ;) ;)

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Last edited by: Yarf: Sep 9, 05 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i still want to know what kind of lock you used...and how you locked it up....
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am wondering this also. I know when I take my racing bike anywhere on my bike race, I make sure I lock it to the rack. Now, someone could take a bolt cutter to the lock I guess, but they deserve it if they want to go through that much trouble.

So far it sounds like it may not have even been locked.

Will insurance cover a bike if it were stolen and not locked? Do they give you replacement value? I would like a new bike but probably not get close to what I have invested in mine from a real sale. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 9, 05 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it was locked. Granted, it wasn't a u-lock because the rack requires a longer lock but still. I may be dumb enough to ride my bike to work, but I'm not so dumb that I wouldn't lock it up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...You used a cable lock for it?
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My homeowners policy does not cover my bike. It covers a regualr bike, like a cheap-o, but not my tri-bike. My agent told me I had to purchase additional coverage to cover it and it was too expensive to purchase so I did not. I don't remember how much they cover up to dollar wise but it was not much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dev on this one, you should be able to use your toys in whatever way you want. True you cannot put a $ 120,000 car in the trunk of another car, but I can introduce you to several "gentelmen" that can take that car faster than they can take that bike.

I'm sorry to hear about your stolen bike, that really sucks. I can only imagine how it feels to have something you worked so hard for taken from you.

On the bright side, it did look like your seat was too high... sorry, had to be done.

Good luck finding your baby.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to check your renter's insurance policy - most say that it must be 'on premisis' to make a claim. What kind of insurance do you have? Check the details with them carefully for loopholes.

I don't get the $6000 bike = $6000 car. Worth and value are different things and RELATIVE. As a student, my Trek1000 is worth $10,000 as its my sole means of transportation (ie. car) but probably valued at $400. If I had enough disposable income to attribute my P3C being stolen as an affirmation to my personal freedom, then thats great, but I don't. A $600 Trek 1000 or used ride would be a better option to reclaim that freedom and minimize what hasn't been discussed: RISK. You cannot quantify risk when it comes to these things, you guess and in other words, you gamble. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't bet the farm on a single hand.
Last edited by: thunderoadie42: Sep 9, 05 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Cervelo P3 Carbon [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you should be able to use your toys in whatever way you want

Of course you can - and this guy did. The question is whether the reward is worth the risk. People will say "I will not live in fear" until they are burglarized. Then they'll start locking their doors. Of course you can ride your P3C to work and lock it up with a cable in front of a guard that makes $8.50 an hour and has his old SUV next to the bike rack. Duh! But eventually, after going through a few more P3C's, most people, even Dev Paul, would probably get a Specialized or Giant for the commute.
Quote Reply

Prev Next