Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shoestring-like race number belt
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

I recall I used to see some athletes, especially pros, using what seemed like a shoestring to hold their race number instead of the stretch webbing style and aptly-named "race belt". For those who do something like this or are familiar with it, can you tell me what it is and how it fastens? Is there a name/term for it? I can't find a picture but will upload if I do.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a crafts/fabric store near you, head there and ask for elastic band. Or search Glamazon. Most run the band through the top holes in a bib. Knot it off to fit and cut off excess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to use the elastic lock laces for shoes. Get it to size, put on the locking tab and then you can just step into it, pull up and go.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also buy a bit of surgical tubing at a pharmacy. Works well.

Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get the race number inside the tubing?

Sorry :) :) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest it seems some of the responses are overcomplicating it.

the answer is in the question.
Use an old shoe string.
To "attach" tie a knot

If you want to get fancy I would do a half bow knot,
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was thinking.

I have always just used the safety pins that come with the bib.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Flat Coke

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, appreciate this, yes I often thought they looked like shoe strings, maybe I would use a lace lock to fasten.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Flat Coke

Do you have the recipe?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Flat Coke

Do you have the recipe?

Tri2Hover wrote:
In Reply To:
Buy Coke.
Open.
Wait.
Well, glad we got that one out of the way early.....jackass. :-p
Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Flat Coke

Do you have the recipe?

I've been using Dr. Pepper lately; maybe DrAlex could do a comparison?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Flat Coke

Do you have the recipe?

I've been using Dr. Pepper lately; maybe DrAlex could do a comparison?

I hate using pre-made products for the same price to make my life easier. Is there a hard way to get 80% of the way there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elastic cord tends to work better than shoestrings (the stretchiness helps when putting it on and keeping it from sliding down ime).

To attach the number, you can push part of the loop through the hole in the race number, then use a lacelock on that portion to keep it from coming back through the hole.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How cheap and DIY do you want to go?

- an actual shoelace or two
- Daisy-chain of rubber bands
- waistband of old (but not completely stretched-out) underbottoms

Imagination will set you free

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I was actually asking because I am currently developing a product and am considering a waist cord rather than a typical belt. I am not necessarily trying to be cheap, rather, I want light comfort, and I was using a race belt to test when the image of this simple race string came to mind.

I will definitely try some of your ideas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
So, I was actually asking because I am currently developing a product and am considering a waist cord rather than a typical belt. I am not necessarily trying to be cheap, rather, I want light comfort, and I was using a race belt to test when the image of this simple race string came to mind.

I did some prototyping of similar products a few years back. Glad to share what I tried (and what worked and what did not), either on this thread of via PM.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:

I suggest you watch Shark Tank

Not that you're ready to pitch Mark Cuban for a $400K stake, but just to see how things get from kitchen to garage to QVC

if that's where you're thinking of going

I'm sure that we're all behind you and can offer to help

Quote Reply
Re: Shoestring-like race number belt [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE Shark Tank, I watch it all the time! I have learned a ton from it and bingeing it over winter break is what started me down this path.

I like Mark because he keeps the ball rolling and respects everyone, I like Lori and read her book, I have the most logical counter to a royalty deal from Mr Wonderful where it makes a lot of sense, I’m not a huge Damond fan but he is in my industry (sadly Mark usually passes), Robert and Barbara are hit or miss, guests like Sarah Blakely are fun!

I actually applied in January but it was way too early, now I understand why some entrants take 3-4 applications. Maybe I will be there one day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:

Short sprint race, yes. But I want a race belt with a pouch and slots to hold energy gels. Elastic and shoe string idea is good but people have to figure out another way to store nutritions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
I LOVE Shark Tank, I watch it all the time! I have learned a ton from it and bingeing it over winter break is what started me down this path.

I like Mark because he keeps the ball rolling and respects everyone, I like Lori and read her book, I have the most logical counter to a royalty deal from Mr Wonderful where it makes a lot of sense, I’m not a huge Damond fan but he is in my industry (sadly Mark usually passes), Robert and Barbara are hit or miss, guests like Sarah Blakely are fun!

I actually applied in January but it was way too early, now I understand why some entrants take 3-4 applications. Maybe I will be there one day!

If you want to get dead-cheap, REI, MEC, or any other outdoor store would have stretchy cord/lace of various widths, on big spools, and will cut to length. I think my last rase belt from a place in Whistler cost 39 cents ( I had made a previous investment on a quick-lace lock that was in my emergency "I'll need this at a race one day" travel pouch).

I remember thinking briefly about how to make the lightest weight, single-digit-gram system while I was on the hunt for this and passing time on site before IMC. Then I looked down at the pre-race Dairy Queen Blizzard I was slugging back, and got a bit of perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend you read the book Shark Bites

It aligns with what my friend went through after getting a deal with a shark
Quote Reply

Prev Next